General Mannering's captainisity

BigD_old

Well compared tp Pricey, he seems abit off a whinger towards the refs..

Hey man, there where Bad Calls, but Pricey would be more astute at handling them.

Even Though we won....Heck the Captain of the team needs to do better.

IN fact...Mr Luck should have been captain

I know for a a fact that there is an issue going down with Captaincy.. & it needs to be
nipped in the Bud .....ASAP

mrblonde_old

Yeah, well, Mr Price's alleged astuteness still got him labelled as one of the hardest if not the hardest NRL captain to deal with by referees in last year's RLW Poll.
And if there's a problem with the captaincy, the unhappy player or players need to show they could do a better job, learn to live with it, or leave.
The only justifiable gripe players and fans can have is that the management handled it like absolute r-tards, allowing Stuff, who are not beyond yelling "Fire!" where there's just a little smoke, to put a black "Breaking News" banner on their home page: "Steve Price dumped as Warriors captain..."
Incidentally, what did people make of McKinnon coming of the interchange? Good/bad/average? I thought he was pretty usefubl but I'd put him back at fullback for Brisbane and move Hohaia to either 14 or 7 depending on judiciary developments. And the Sharks can start planning their end of season trip now - they'll get the best places and prices by booking up now.

Last edited by a moderator:

aussie_warrior_old

Incidentally, what did people make of McKinnon coming of the interchange? Good/bad/average? I thought he was pretty usefubl but I'd put him back at fullback for Brisbane and move Hohaia to either 14 or 7 depending on judiciary developments. And the Sharks can start planning their end of season trip now - they'll get the best places and prices by booking up now.

I would say average, in that he performed as well as I expected he would. Nothing spectacular either way. I did see him flash across the screen a couple of times ready for the offload... that never came. So I'm not sure if he was picking the wrong times, or we never pass it.

As for Simon, I would give him at least a season before you can make any sort of judgements. As for any particular player revolt, that's a bit sad and I hope it's not true as it just sounds like a bunch of school kids not getting to sit at the back of the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahc_old

Well compared tp Pricey, he seems abit off a whinger towards the refs..

Hey man, there where Bad Calls, but Pricey would be more astute at handling them.

Even Though we won....Heck the Captain of the team needs to do better.

IN fact...Mr Luck should have been captain

I know for a a fact that there is an issue going down with Captaincy.. & it needs to be
nipped in the Bud .....ASAP

That first chat was pretty funny...

"Oh.... (pause).... what was that one for?"

He'll settle into the role soon I think. :)

Good to see him get a try to help settle some nerves.

Iafeta_old

IIRC, he approached the referee's when Jason Spray on Sweat Robinson was on a vendetta to destroy the Warriors, and the penalty count slowed down considerably from that point on. I mean, they had some ... baffling calls go against them. THe one where Porter drops it cold when he goes to play the ball, penalty, the one on half time where the Sharks bloke runs at Matulino as a decoy and receives a shoulder (which happens every game three or four times, penalty), I was saying to the Mrs you can bet your bottom dollar anytime the Sharks drop it in the next 5 minutes the Warriors will be penalised and it seemed to be happened. Maloney and Hohaia also copped dangerous tackles while they were kicking, Maloney in particular was attacked in the legs as he kicked it which is cynical and dangerous, yet Rapira copped it despite it being let go earlier. Anyway, back to the point, I thought he questioned the referees at the right point, and from that he seemed to be laying down the law to the team to reign in the aggression and it worked well.

Work in progress all in all, I've been supportive of the move to make him captain, I had predicted that we'd see Mannering and Price co-captain this year because he seemed the obvious choice beyond Price who has a limited future here.

Jesbass_old

I can't agree with the OP. I'm a big fan of Price, but I can't deny that he comes across as a whinger, and the referees have said as much.

I also can't fathom how knee jerk fans can get. Mannering should be dumped from the captaincy after just one match, and because he 'whinged'?

A bit of perspective here: Mannering is a quiet, reserved guy - shy at the best of times - who was in his first match as captain. When I watched the replay on TV, I remember distinctly seeing him in a huddle after one of Cronulla's tries - their second try, I think. Mannering had his back to camera and was talking plenty. Also in that huddle were Luck, (last week's captain), and Wiki.

Mannering is finding his feet as captain, as one would expect, and he's showing plenty of promise. Let's give him the opportunity to shine.

Iafeta_old

I can't agree with the OP. I'm a big fan of Price, but I can't deny that he comes across as a whiner, and the referees have said as much.

I also can't fathom how knee jerk fans can get. Mannering should be dumped from the captaincy after just one match, and because he 'whined'?

A bit of perspective here: Mannering is a quiet, reserved guy - shy at the best of times - who was in his first match as captain. When I watched the replay on TV, I remember distinctly seeing him in a huddle after one of Cronulla's tries - their second try, I think. Mannering had his back to camera and was talking plenty. Also in that huddle were Luck, (last week's captain), and Wiki.

Mannering is finding his feet as captain, as one would expect, and he's showing plenty of promise. Let's give him the opportunity to shine.

Duly noted. As I say, he went back to his team after that penalty against Rapira and demanded improvement in their discipline, and he got it. To me, the team responded to Mannering well.

Mannering and Rapira were always the guys we would look to to succeed Price, Price's departure due to his career position is inevitable so developing a succession plan is good logic. Perhaps from a media perspective, and a communications in house perspective it could have been handled better, but as an initiative to develop strength in leadership through and beyond 2010 it to me logically is an unqualified success.

Northern_Union

I can't agree with the OP. I'm a big fan of Price, but I can't deny that he comes across as a whinger, and the referees have said as much.

I also can't fathom how knee jerk fans can get. Mannering should be dumped from the captaincy after just one match, and because he 'whinged'?

I to am saying to myself here "the blokes had one game as captain and the baggers are out for his already"?
Stats aside his winning record as captain 100% :D

Jesbass_old

I to am saying to myself here "the blokes had one game as captain and the baggers are out for his already"?
Stats aside his winning record as captain 100% :D

Lol...winning percentage with Moon as a starting halfback is 100%, too. (And believe it or not, this was his second NRL match wearing the 7 on his back. If anyone can pick which other match he played halfback at, I promise not to punch them in the face! What a deal!)

Jesbass_old

Err...actually you're right, which means the NRL stats website search function gives different results through different means.

But there's another match I was talking about...meaning he has a 3 from 3 win record at halfback, lol.

insulinboi_old

Didnt he play halfback against us for brisbane one game and we won?

Plus he took hisonly ever goal kick in the same match and it was a shocking miss.

Fazz_old

As mentioned good to see mannering get some results when he told them to cut it out. Something tells me wiki may have been the one to speak up though.

Hopefully Simon keeps developing. Must be a bit of an adjustment

Lego_Man_old

Duly noted. As I say, he went back to his team after that penalty against Rapira and demanded improvement in their discipline, and he got it. To me, the team responded to Mannering well.

Ahh, do you seriously think that?

I thought it was handled poorly. Mannering never looked in control of the situation and seemed hopelessly out of his depth. Rapira did nothing wrong and most captains would have stood up for their man in that situation. If anything, that incident would have undermined his leadership.

Additionally, Mannering was pretty much Captain Invisible during the game - Luck seemed to be the natural point of contact for the ref. Getting Simon into the conversations seemed to be almost an afterthought.

Oh and let's not forget all the post-try huddles where Luck was doing all the talking and Simon was just standing there...

Iafeta_old

I thought it was handled poorly. Mannering never looked in control of the situation and seemed hopelessly out of his depth. Rapira did nothing wrong and most captains would have stood up for their man in that situation. If anything, that incident would have undermined his leadership.

Additionally, Mannering was pretty much Captain Invisible during the game - Luck seemed to be the natural point of contact for the ref. Getting Simon into the conversations seemed to be almost an afterthought.

Oh and let's not forget all the post-try huddles where Luck was doing all the talking and Simon was just standing there...

Yes I do, because I don't think Mannering got into Rapira at all. He argued the point, and then he was shouting to the rest of the team to pick their discipline up. The penalty count from that point on was fairly minimal.

Spence_old

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression the rule had changed so that you have to attempt a "proper" tackle when a player is kicking the ball.

Jesbass_old

Oh, and "all" the huddles could be translated as "both"...there were only two.