General Mannering

DanKokoro_old

Actually, at first I thought he looked in pain - a slight limp after early contact, and he seemed sluggish...but he soon caught up with the pace of the game. I think he was just getting used to the speed again.

I thought him and Rapira were our best in the first half. Went quiet with the rest of the team in the second tho..

RRG_old

I agree, he could use a rest. He doesn't seem as dynamic. But saying he's had a bad season is a bit rough, he averaged over 100 metres a game, playing 23 games in two different positions. He's our third most prolific tackler, made 7 line breaks, 26 offloads, 49 tackle breaks... I could go on.

Point is, I don't think he's been disappointing, at worst he's been solid. He did make a few errors, and some silly decisions towards the end of the season, but it was usually because he was trying to spark something, which isn't his job, but it was pretty clear that job wasn't getting done by whoever was supposed to do it.

Fair point he may not have been terrible, but given that we had both Luck and Lilyman in our squad the number one thing for him to focus on this year was making sure he had his attacking spark and this is the one thing he has let drop from his game.

If we judge him against what his role needed to be for the team then it has been a dissapointing season from him. I don't want him being the third highest tackler in a team that has hendo, luck and lillyman I want him to save that energy for attack.

I wanted to see him become more attacking and more of threat this year when in reality he has been less attacking and more defence orientated. I know that part of this is due to the way our attack has been but I also think their were a lot of occassions where he could have provided more.

Mannering is a great player, has huge potential and is a great club man, I just don't want to see him turn into a defensive backrower.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeepingTheFaith_old

Fair point he may not have been terrible, but given that we had both Luck and Lilyman in our squad the number one thing for him to focus on this year was making sure he had his attacking spark and this is the one thing he has let drop from his game.

If we judge him against what his role needed to be for the team then it has been a dissapointing season from him. I don't want him being the third highest tackler in a team that has hendo, luck and lillyman I want him to save that energy for attack.

I wanted to see him become more attacking and more of threat this year when in reality he has been less attacking and more defence orientated. I know that part of this is due to the way our attack has been but I also think their were a lot of occassions where he could have provided more.

Mannering is a great player, has huge potential and is a great club man, I just don't want to see him turn into a defensive backrower.

I'd say that's a black mark against recruitment rather than Mannering. All Mannering can do is what he's always done and continue to improve as a player. Having offensive nuffies beside him isn't his fault.

playdaball_old

He looked knackered vs Storm last week. It may not have shown up on TV but off the ball he was very tired with hands on knees whilst ball was out of play. Joe Vagana all over again.

Lego_Man_old

I'd say that's a black mark against recruitment rather than Mannering. All Mannering can do is what he's always done and continue to improve as a player. Having offensive nuffies beside him isn't his fault.

I agree. Obviously players must strive to do their best but it's not Simon's fault that Lilyman has been present, that Luck is in the team, that Sonny died, and that Big Ben has been ineffective.

I've always maintained he's the best defender at the club, his technique is flawless and he's always there to clean up the dregs.

He earns a pass mark this year for me, however he does look weary. Needs a relaxing offseason on the beach, sipping Pina Coladas with Nicky Watson.

Jesbass_old

He looked knackered vs Storm last week. It may not have shown up on TV but off the ball he was very tired with hands on knees whilst ball was out of play. Joe Vagana all over again.

In my (incredibly humble! :D) opinion, I thought that only really hit him for the first 10 minutes or so when we were under a lot of pressure.

Having said that, I got distracted by that crowd abuse when Cameron Smith came off with roughly 20 minutes to go, and even the fight wasn't enough to get me out of my seat. (Incidentally, who was the fight between, and how did it start?)

Blake_old

The knock on effect certain decisions made by the club in 2009 has had on players in incredible.

Releasing 3 aussies - Fien, Rovelli, Witt.

Reinstating Jones with no support.

Recruiting then releasing Foran.

Signing Lillyman with no plan for backrow dynamics, whilst already having two tackling machines.

Then to offer no attacking plays sealed the deal.

Mannering has been slowly transformed into a defensive work-horse. Matulino is going the same way. Vatuvei should be entering the prime of his career yet, he has to jump to score his tries.

Next year they play without a known halves combination, a backrow with no mobility or if they have any, it's to tackle. A prop short, with another in his final season. A fullback who has perhaps 5 games to show he still has it. Ropati with hands of cement and one of the poorest readers of defence. Tait, a mongrel with no real pace left.

Cleary and Ackland have one option - take risks. They cannot stiffle attacking football with overly structured demands. It's great to have discipline, but they can't forget about how to attack. Is there anyone at the club who can coach attaching backline plays?

Starts up front right? Then backrowers. Then the halves. First thing I would have looked at with the new halves would be to see if they can throw a bullet cut-out ball and spread right to left equally as smoothly and quickly. Long kicking game - train Moon to accruately kick, he definitely has the longest kicking game there and he's a lefty (right?), so there is an added dimension.

I think next year could be very exciting for the Warriors. They will have a largely untried halves pairing - this could work in their favour, if they are allowed to play relatively freely. Matulino will have some time to rest and hopefully be allowed to play his natural game - if not, he will move on at the end of the year most likely. Mannering may be given a chance to work the fringes more.

Lastly, they need someone ruthless. Hard, competitive - kinda like Wade, but smarter, harder and more uncompromising in the tackle and how they run. Wade is missing someone like that to run off.

Next year is vital in the long term development of the Warriors club. A number of the U20's could pull through in the next couple of years and if the club has another year like this last one, it will have a massive impact on these players and where they choose to play their football. If it's a successful season - the new players will be phased in as the older ones move out - meaning they learn the art of winning and training well.

kiwi's 13-6_old

blake i likde your pionts thier about our lack of attack this year

if others in the team get the ball to vatuvei in half gaps or runnng on particular angles then its more than likely to be try time. but didnt have the plermakers or centers or backrowers to do that often this year.

mannering had an average year in a team that had a below average year.
his d is solid scores a decent amount of trys. his passing game needs work other than the draw an pass and pbasic offload to someonr next to him his passing game is below average both before the line and in or after the line needs to look at video's of mark graham, tawrea nikau, ali lauititi and pratice hard to improve that aspect of his game and he wouldnt be a good player thats a bit underated hed be a superstar

Tajhay_old

anyone notice how mannering and ropati's form dipped straight after they signed their contract extensions...

BringBackRovelli_old

anyone notice how mannering and ropati's form dipped straight after they signed their contract extensions...

That's what it's about. Pro sport is about money and status, first and foremost. Performance is only secondary, a means of getting there. Once you sign a 3-year contract, you can cruise for the next 2, and lift your intensity in the third, before your next contract negotiations.
The special players are the ones that love to win at least as much as they love what comes with it. And the good coaches know how to make their players want to win.

kingkole_old

NO player plays footy jst 4 a paycheck players play 2 win and if there form slumped then ill take other factors in2 account as reason behind tht.

RRG_old

The knock on effect certain decisions made by the club in 2009 has had on players in incredible.

Signing Lillyman with no plan for backrow dynamics, whilst already having two tackling machines.

Mannering has been slowly transformed into a defensive work-horse. Matulino is going the same way. Vatuvei should be entering the prime of his career yet, he has to jump to score his tries.

Next year they play without a known halves combination, a backrow with no mobility or if they have any, it's to tackle. A prop short, with another in his final season. A fullback who has perhaps 5 games to show he still has it. Ropati with hands of cement and one of the poorest readers of defence. Tait, a mongrel with no real pace left.

Cleary and Ackland have one option - take risks. They cannot stiffle attacking football with overly structured demands. It's great to have discipline, but they can't forget about how to attack. Is there anyone at the club who can coach attaching backline plays?

Starts up front right? Then backrowers. Then the halves. First thing I would have looked at with the new halves would be to see if they can throw a bullet cut-out ball and spread right to left equally as smoothly and quickly. Long kicking game - train Moon to accruately kick, he definitely has the longest kicking game there and he's a lefty (right?), so there is an added dimension.

I think next year could be very exciting for the Warriors. They will have a largely untried halves pairing - this could work in their favour, if they are allowed to play relatively freely. Matulino will have some time to rest and hopefully be allowed to play his natural game - if not, he will move on at the end of the year most likely. Mannering may be given a chance to work the fringes more.

Lastly, they need someone ruthless. Hard, competitive - kinda like Wade, but smarter, harder and more uncompromising in the tackle and how they run. Wade is missing someone like that to run off.

Next year is vital in the long term development of the Warriors club. A number of the U20's could pull through in the next couple of years and if the club has another year like this last one, it will have a massive impact on these players and where they choose to play their football. If it's a successful season - the new players will be phased in as the older ones move out - meaning they learn the art of winning and training well.

Fantastic post. Really well said

Spence_old

I don't get it. Almost everyone is against buying average Aussies, there was countless threads dedicated to the cons of each of these players, and I only know one person who wanted Rovelli to stay, yet people keep coming back and saying we should have kept them as soon as they go.

kingkole_old

in another post i stated that FIEN signed afta a stellar year with N/Q WITT was highly regarded rookie so was Rovelli who was actually a cleary boy fom da the rosters so i dont know if they where quite in the average catagory maybe in the un-fillfulled potentual catagory and i think seymour prob falls in2 this catagory as well he realy has yet to fill his potentual hes one of those players who u start to think awsum hes almost about 2 get there then bang something stupid happens -but i think he will go okay and hopefully turn out 2b another J-SIMONS/L-ODENRYAN/N-FIEN/evan M-LUCK AUSSIE who have all served the warriors well.

RRG_old

Fien is not average, that is why he walked straight into a playing spot in the Dragons. They still had fFen around and chose to play Heremia ahead of him, that is a disgraceful call. Even if they were going to let him go at the end of the year it was ridiculous to drop him for Heremia, it was that decision that really put the nail in the Cleary coffin for me. He should have never been let go and CERTAINLY never dropped for Heremia.

Witt was a solid 5/8 and a good goal kicker. The point is they let him go with no one else to fufill the role. They then tried Moon, Hohaia, Heremiah and John. Witt was as good as any of these and would have added goal kicking.

Our team clicked far better with Fien and Witt in the last two years then they did with Jones and every possible no6 this year.

Agree with you on Rovelli I think he is very average and I don't mind them letting him go.

Iafeta_old

Fair crack of the whip here. Fien walked into the Dragons squad? Christ, you make it sound like he's climbed Everest when in actual fact he's riding the pain and playing a very simple game plan. All Bennett gets him to do is pop up passes and back up. You don't have to be a sage old Warrior to do that.

Fien, Witt and Ravioli were all average for the Warriors. Yeah, they were better than Stace was this year, but its kinda bit like Coming to America where the barber talks about Rocky Marciano beating Joe Louis and the barber mentioned "yeah but Joe Louis was 137 years old". Stacey at his prime spooged all over those blokes. Rovelli and Witt's only strengths were backing up. The thing is, I reckon most seasons we'd go alright with both of them, but you'll never win a premiership with them. How many games did they break open? How many games was their kicking so pinpoint that the opposition forwards got tired and gaps opened up because of it? Christ, Nathan Fien has 3 great games at the World Cup and the way some people speak retrospectively about him on here you would think he was the second coming of Muhammad Ali.

The answer for all those blokes is next to 0. It was correct for the Warriors to look for something new. They wanted to take the calculated risk in a bid for glory. It didn't work, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Back to the main point, Simon Mannering. Good player, above average season. Nothing fancy, but he had a few games where he ran some good lines. I just think the service from the inside is so slow from Henderson in particular that it's hard to have time to work over a player and make an opportunity in the backrow. He is easily our best backrower, I know there's a lot of love here for Ukuma and Lewis (me included) but even if you look at it statistically, Simon's involvement is a lot more, and more effective (less missed tackles etc).

He's a bloody good player who played in a woefully beaten team. I hope like hell guys like Mannering and Rapira don't go on the 4 Nations tour. Fatigue clearly set in, 92 straight first grade games coupled with the intensity of 19 straight test matches would rip anyone straight up the guts.

For mine, he should be co-captaining with Price next year. Price is on his last legs, Mannering to me would be a far more effective leader than Micheal Luck.

ToiletDuck_old

why is luck captain anyway

By default. Lack of any other candidate. Simon is/was a little young, though next year he can step up.

I would have thought Turtle may have been VC this season...had he been playing.