Swanny

Apparently he is the quickest on the team and its not even close...
Yeah Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is the only other player I can think of with some form of pace in the squad. Maybe Vailea as well but it certainly would be a point of difference.
I remember when Roger Tuivasa-Sheck scored a couple of years back they rattled off a stat that it was the first try from over halfway that we had scored in some 30 odd games

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Here’s a new highlights package of his ‘22 NSW Cup season uploaded this week.

Based off of that footage I see him more as a fullback. Great support play. Not blistering speed. Decent pass. Nothing overly amazing but no glaring weaknesses barring no highlights of tackles but kind of looks like maybe on par with what Harris tavita was in halves and maybe a more solid but less explosive Reece Walsh.

Makes me think he will be depth unless he can beat charnze out of the fb spot or te Maire out of the halves

Paulo24

Paulo24

Based off of that footage I see him more as a fullback. Great support play. Not blistering speed. Decent pass. Nothing overly amazing but no glaring weaknesses barring no highlights of tackles but kind of looks like maybe on par with what Harris tavita was in halves and maybe a more solid but less explosive Reece Walsh.

Makes me think he will be depth unless he can beat charnze out of the fb spot or te Maire out of the halves
Agreed: looks more like a fullback.
Disagreed: about blistering speed. He’s fast, not the fox but If I had to guess, perhaps a fraction slower or comparable to Papenhausen.

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

Agreed: looks more like a fullback.
Disagreed: about blistering speed. He’s fast, not the fox but If I had to guess, perhaps a fraction slower or comparable to Papenhausen.
Probs right about speed. I think the video quality was abit poor so hard to gauge his speed. Can’t wait to see him play though.

Reactions: Defence and Paulo24
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Hard to say if he has blistering speed or not based on his '22 highlights. What it does look like is that he has outstanding acceleration, and glides when he runs. Players like that tend to be faster than footage makes them appear. Won't get a true comparison until you see him out run a first grade outside back.

I'd like to see him play at 6, outside Shaun Johnson, with Shaun Johnson putting him into holes. If they slide off Shaun Johnson early, he still has his step. If they hold on Shaun Johnson, Metcalfe looks to have the acceleration to make outside breaks. Te Maire Martin to fullback, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to centre if they play Metcalfe at 6.

ndp26

Hard to say if he has blistering speed or not based on his '22 highlights. What it does look like is that he has outstanding acceleration, and glides when he runs. Players like that tend to be faster than footage makes them appear. Won't get a true comparison until you see him out run a first grade outside back.

I'd like to see him play at 6, outside Shaun Johnson, with Shaun Johnson putting him into holes. If they slide off Shaun Johnson early, he still has his step. If they hold on Shaun Johnson, Metcalfe looks to have the acceleration to make outside breaks. Te Maire Martin to fullback, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad to centre if they play Metcalfe at 6.
Out there thought - given it looks like Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad will almost certainly play full-back, could Te Maire Martin play centre to fit Metcalf into the starting side?

Te Maire Martin doesn't (by his own admission) kick well, but he has good ball movement and positional play - which made him such a success at FB for the Broncos). The issue, I suspect, would be size / defence - he is a tall bloke, but gives up a few cms and 11 kilos to Valiea (although not as much to Brayden Wiliame). Te Maire Martin and Metcalf are similar builds, but Te Maire Martin has the experience and has played frontline D at NRL level in the past, so knows what it entails. Just a thought to squeeze Metcalf into the Round 1 side if he trials well...

Reactions: J_P and RiceOwl
Fonzie

Fonzie

I’ve seen him live and this is spot on.