General Luck may leave Warriors

sup42_old

um ok....
Jutu it would have been good to get your arguments because i dont know everything about league and would never profess to, there are a lot of people at forum level that ive learned lots from, i realise my point is contentious, its meant to be to stimulate discussion, a bit more than um ok....would be good.

Mannering is our most important player imo , for what he does on the field, so i'll put it this way......in last years Grand Final using your imagination......would you rather Simon was Captain in that Game or Steve Price or Kevin Campion ? or even Michael luck.....its not a hate on Mannering to imagine that the Warriors could have another Captain.

Many posters call Luck the un official Captain...well he's going so....

Last edited by a moderator:

d13_old

But can he be a leader. I think I might of said this somewhere else and to this day I stand by what I said. Taylor is a better player than Luck, but Luck is what the Warriors need.

Elijah has the traits to be a leader....maybe a bit too early at this stage of his career to be barking orders at senior players as Luck does but he does have the potential to be a leader. When Ben Henry was ruled out of the Toyota Cup final in 2010 Elijah took over & lead the team admirably,admittedly it was only one game in charge but he showed he does possess leadership qualities & a 'follow' me attitude...Elijah is future Warriors & Kiwis captain IMO.

brightman_old

Well we need another Captain , Captain is not a Role for a player we like or a player who tackles lots.

Captain is for a player who speaks.

The Mute, (playing beautifully) that's is our current captain wont have anyone vociferous enough to do the talky bit ( with Luck gone ).

Bout time the Mannering experiment was shelved as an epic fail and we Appoint a talker.
Mateo Talks and is an experienced Leader. Get on with it.

Mannering is doing fine thanks plus he's twice the player you think Mateo is.
Perhaps the coach needs to tell the players in no uncertain terms to speak up, pull their weight and play for each other but mostly play with pride

brightman_old

Elijah has the traits to be a leader....maybe a bit too early at this stage of his career to be barking orders at senior players as Luck does but he does have the potential to be a leader. When Ben Henry was ruled out of the Toyota Cup final in 2010 Elijah took over & lead the team admirably,admittedly it was only one game in charge but he showed he does possess leadership qualities & a 'follow' me attitude...Elijah is future Warriors & Kiwis captain IMO.

What defines a senior player, an old bugger or someone who commands respect!
Yes Taylor is a natural leader, you can see his enthusiasm in his body language. If learns to be as vocal as Luck and rallies the boys around their captain he'll make a fine VC.

sup42_old

Mannering is doing fine thanks plus he's twice the player you think Mateo is.
Perhaps the coach needs to tell the players in no uncertain terms to speak up, pull their weight and play for each other but mostly play with pride

You Might have missed my earlier posts. In no part did i say Mateo was a better player than Mannering. Actually i said Mannering is our most important player.
Some speculate MAnnerings evolution as Captain relied heavily on Luck, this thread is about Luck leaving.....I like to look at the big picture....Lucks absence if what others say is acurate..... will have more of an impact on the Warriors than fifty tackles a game....

Why do you think your fellow posters are screaming for the return of Lucks communication ablitity in the denfisive line and his sprays under the posts.

If what you think about Mannering means he is ready now to fill that roll as well I've been speaking out of turn.

mr frank white_old

Jutu it would have been good to get your arguments because i dont know everything about league and would never profess to, there are a lot of people at forum level that ive learned lots from, i realise my point is contentious, its meant to be to stimulate discussion, a bit more than um ok....would be good.

Mannering is our most important player imo , for what he does on the field, so i'll put it this way......in last years Grand Final using your imagination......would you rather Simon was Captain in that Game or Steve Price or Kevin Campion ? or even Michael luck.....its not a hate on Mannering to imagine that the Warriors could have another Captain.

Many posters call Luck the un official Captain...well he's going so....

Do u think Price just walked into the NRL the same man that captained us? No.. He learnt his craft like every other true leader & earned his respect, just like Simon is doing. He is the next Price..

From day one I've backed the call to make Manning captain, kiwis stalwart, never misses a & this thing with Luck validates it. We would have been without a captain till round 11, now it looks like we would have been without for the year.
We would have had to chuck someone in there, not because we trust them, but because we need somebody.

Hope Mannering is the Cap from now till the day he retires in Warriors colours. He has every trait of a good leader. However It's Shaun Johnson's job to direct the troops as he should be calling the plays.

sup42_old

Post Deleted :

Mannering is our man. I was looking For confirmation and the fans resoundingly delivered. Good debate.

Thanks guys.

I said it before....the Solution is to put him through communication courses, Assertiveness training and Leadership training ( not Footy version.....give him a run with the Military in the off season).

Eccawarrior_old

I know Taylor is a really good player but we need Luck for experience & he could really inspire the team by his tough attitude, constantly putting 100% effort every game he plays with no excuses, will be really sad if he goes.

Xt1ncT_old

Thank you to Michael Luck for your service to the Warriors.

Maybe not the most talented but probably the bravest.

All the best for your life after playing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigstuboy_old

We had a couple of good seasons with Luck doing the talking and Simon doing the Humble Heroic talking and supporting of our guys. Mannering went pretty good in that context....looks like the landscapes changing.

you know all this because you play in the team right? who other than mannering would be captain of this side? looks like the club has made the right choice in simon over luck as simon will be around for along time to come.

Buck777_old

I never liked the way Mannering was made captain. It's was a dishonorable change of the captains baton. This was not Simons fault of course. He'd been told 'look we're getting rid of Price as captain. He doesn't know it yet but you up for it?'. If the two of them had held a dual captaincy role ( aka Souths who have 5 captains lol) then you would have seen Mannering ease into the role better. Tbh I think he's too much of a nice guy to have to go eyeball to eyeball with a mongrel ref that has a sportsbet for the Warriors to lose 13+

---
I am here: https://tapatalk.com/map.php?f3huof

brightman_old

Do u think Price just walked into the NRL the same man that captained us? No.. He learnt his craft like every other true leader & earned his respect, just like Simon is doing. He is the next Price..

From day one I've backed the call to make Manning captain, kiwis stalwart, never misses a & this thing with Luck validates it. We would have been without a captain till round 11, now it looks like we would have been without for the year.
We would have had to chuck someone in there, not because we trust them, but because we need somebody.

Hope Mannering is the Cap from now till the day he retires in Warriors colours. He has every trait of a good leader. However It's Shaun Johnson's job to direct the troops as he should be calling the plays.

THIS ^^^ like life evolves so will the players and our team. If Luck never left then how would someone fill that void

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

sup42_old

you know all this because you play in the team right? who other than mannering would be captain of this side? looks like the club has made the right choice in simon over luck as simon will be around for along time to come.
I was never good enough to make a bartercard cup side , so no i don't base my opinion on playing under players at Simon Mannering's level.
I don't think fingering your league background will add to the quality of the discussion either.
Take it easy Fellah , my whole argument was to Question whether a player who will be round for a long time and is a an excellent player should Captain a side , it works in the under sixes'....but in a professional environment Captaincy shouldn't be treated like a Merit Award badge in the boy scouts.

Leaders never hang their heads and go quiet under the goal posts , so like ail said before, get Mannering some talking skills.

Shaun Johnson is going to be around for a long time, i hope in the next three years we can look beyond whats ok, to what could be greater.

wallacenz_old

I never liked the way Mannering was made captain. It's was a dishonorable change of the captains baton. This was not Simons fault of course. He'd been told 'look we're getting rid of Price as captain. He doesn't know it yet but you up for it?'. If the two of them had held a dual captaincy role ( aka Souths who have 5 captains lol) then you would have seen Mannering ease into the role better. Tbh I think he's too much of a nice guy to have to go eyeball to eyeball with a mongrel ref that has a sportsbet for the Warriors to lose 13+

---
I am here: https://tapatalk.com/map.php?f3huof
re dual captaincy, its all good in theory but it wouldnt have happened anyway, price was out the entire 2010 season.

re luck, if the rumours true and hes gone at the end of the year good luck to him. if people are right re his organisational input in our defensive line then maybe the warriors have missed the boat by not signing him on as their defensive coach.

edit: i see its official and hes retired, gone at the end of the year. imo he was the right man at the right time for the warriors. hes seen us through a rough patch and was the iron man of the team and he helped mentor a young team. we have experienced young players there to replace him so a good time to leave imo

Moz_old

if people are right re his organisational input in our defensive line then maybe the warriors have missed the boat by not signing him on as their defensive coach.

He was given good offers within the game and outside it if he wished to hang up his boots, such is the high esteem Luck is held in by the club he said he was flattered as it was good offer but it was time to return HOME to townsville. He doesnt have anything lined up as yet.

Personally gonna miss the man got nothing but respect for the man and proud he served out his years at our club will miss his on-field, after match interveiws when he was stand in captain, in a time where players give overly media trained generic answers, he was a heart on your sleeve, breath of fresh air. One game when we were smashed cant remember which team or how much but I remember Luck as captain after the game being interveiwed when asked about what went wrong in the game... went along these lines " it was F#%Ked mate, I think some of us need to go home tonight and have a good hard look in the mirror... " I remember laughing my ass off and wanting to give the man a standing ovation for being honest and calling a spade a spade

upsndowns_old

I cant believe he is retiring. Would have to be the greatest Warrior ever, no one has given more to this team than him.

He will be sorely missed.

BA-AD Luck_old

I hope that the Club can keep him with us in whatever capacity. He's a great clubman and his leadership will be missed. I sense a Penrith position if he does leave.