General Luck may leave Warriors

playdaball_old

NRL: Luck may leave Warriors for Australia coaching role
By Steve Deane 5:30 AM Saturday Apr 21, 2012
www.nzherald.co.nz

The 220-game veteran and club vice-captain - who is off contract at the end of the season - has been offered a one-year extension, however the Weekend Herald understands he is considering calling time on his playing days to take up a coaching position, most likely with an Australian club.

Luck did not respond to messages left on his mobile phone yesterday.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah confirmed the club met Luck and his agent Jim Banaghan this week to discuss a contract extension, but he would not discuss specifics of the negotiation.

However, it is understood Luck has indicated he may instead opt to retire because of concerns about his body's ability to cope with much more punishment.

Luck turns 30 today. He has undergone four surgeries - two on his broken hand and one each on a shoulder and finger tendon - since last November's grand final.

He is yet to play this season but recently had a cast on his damaged arm removed and is expected to return to the field around round 11.

The Warriors consider Luck to be coaching material and are keen to keep him in an off-field capacity if he does retire.

The Weekend Herald was unable to confirm a report he had already put his house up for sale, but it is understood Luck's preferred option is to return to Australia.

In his seventh season with the Warriors, Luck has played 144 matches, scoring seven tries.

If he does retire it may have a knock-on effect on the club's recruitment plans. A veteran presence in the middle of the defensive line, he will not be easily replaced.

Understandable given his injuries but this would leave a massive gap in the Warriors line up. They need to get this sorted ASAP and if need be buy a solid Aussie defensive player. A blow if they lose Maloney and Luck at same time ... perhaps just new contract 'talk'??

Last edited by a moderator:

Warrioraholic_old

I really hope not, I know this a business but it seems we treat our players pretty poorly when we dont require them any more. Hope Luck takes the one and earns another one year. I reakon he has two if not three quality years in him

Matrix_old

Wow first time i can remember in ages a Warrior player who wants to retire rather than go to the SL or been told he's not required. Good on Luck sounds like the Maloney situation a bit in that he's keen to head home. I wonder if Hindmarsh wants to go another year lol!!!There aren't to many Lucks running around these days

surfin_old

I really hope not, I know this a business but it seems we treat our players pretty poorly when we dont require them any more. Hope Luck takes the one and earns another one year. I reakon he has two if not three quality years in him

Too me the story doesn't sound like the Warriors are trying to force him out but that the body is simply getting worn out.

fanrrior_old

Absolutely agree....was always going to be a settling in period for Elijah but I think he's more then capable of filling that workhorse position now.

But can he be a leader. I think I might of said this somewhere else and to this day I stand by what I said. Taylor is a better player than Luck, but Luck is what the Warriors need.

bigstuboy_old

good on him with what ever he does. to be honest at this stage in his career its not worth spending the big bucks on him. but one thing also to look at right now di we have a coach who can attract talented aussie based players to move to nz to play for the warriors i fear not.

Beetle_old

I wouldnt think he would retire unless he already had a coaching position lined up for next season.

Matulino#1_old

he deserves to go out on his own terms.

imo no player to represent the Warriors has put in harder on the field so consistently.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

I recall an article saying that if Luck continued to play next year, it would only be with the Warriors. I take that as that we are his preferred club. I am hoping that means that after his playing career he will remain in some form of coaching role.

I don't take too much from these early rumours.

HDiddy_old

Too me the story doesn't sound like the Warriors are trying to force him out but that the body is simply getting worn out.

Yeah, that's the way I read it too. And who can blame him, really, with the stuff he puts his body through week after week. I'd say that this off season, with all the surgeries he's had has helped make that decision for him.

He's probably keen to retire instead of playing on as long as people think he should, because he wants to be able to bend down and tie up his kids' shoes in 10 years time, rather than having his body crap out on him.

Has been my favourite Warriors for the last three years or so. Total respect.

Qtownwarrior_old

Wow first time i can remember in ages a Warrior player who wants to retire rather than go to the SL or been told he's not required. Good on Luck sounds like the Maloney situation a bit in that he's keen to head home. I wonder if Hindmarsh wants to go another year lol!!!There aren't to many Lucks running around these days

I'd rather logan swann make a come back then see Hindmarsh in a warriors jersey

sup42_old

Well we need another Captain , Captain is not a Role for a player we like or a player who tackles lots.

Captain is for a player who speaks.

The Mute, (playing beautifully) that's is our current captain wont have anyone vociferous enough to do the talky bit ( with Luck gone ).

Bout time the Mannering experiment was shelved as an epic fail and we Appoint a talker.
Mateo Talks and is an experienced Leader. Get on with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimi Jones_old

I hope its not true about luck.I dont buy into the Mateo hype he jersey pulls instead of tackles thats what iv seen.

bigstuboy_old

Well we need another Captain , Captain is not a Role for a player we like or a player who tackles lots.

The Mute, (playing beautifully) that's is our current captain wont have anyone vociferous enough to do the talky bit ( with Luck gone ).

Bout time the Mannering experiment was shelved as an epic fail and we Appoint a talker.

under mannerings leadership how has the team gone?

sebastian_old

Off topic. But how good was it to see Shaun Johnson laying the law down when we were pumping Souths. Its something he never did last season, the growth of a champion. We are so blessed to have Shaun Johnson.

sup42_old

under Mannerings leadership how has the team gone?
We had a couple of good seasons with Luck doing the talking and Simon doing the Humble Heroic talking and supporting of our guys. Mannering went pretty good in that context....looks like the landscapes changing.

Juju_old

um ok....