Internationals Loyal Hunt earns endorsement

MiXmasterreece_old

https://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,18855597-5003340,00.html

Loyal Hunt earns endorsement
Brent Read and Margie McDonald
April 19, 2006
KARMICHAEL HUNT's decision to spurn another approach from New Zealand may provide the ultimate pay-off with the Brisbane fullback moving into contention for the Queensland bench for next month's opening State of Origin game.

Morons coach Mal Meninga yesterday revealed he had been impressed with Hunt's recent form, just a month out from Origin I at on May 24.

Meninga's endorsement also goes some way towards validating Hunt's decision to reject the Kiwis earlier this month - the third time he has done so.

"He's going good," Meninga said. "I like his ability around the middle of the park. He can play seven or in the back row.

"He's got good versatility (which is important) when it comes to picking people for the bench."

Hunt played halfback for the Broncos in the pre-season before settling back into the custodian's role. In recent weeks, however, he has assumed more responsibility, alleviating playmaking pressure from captain Darren Lockyer.

With North Queensland's Matthew Bowen certain to be selected at fullback for the Morons, Hunt's versatility makes him an ideal prospect for the bench.

Meninga also endorsed another young player in contention for Origin I yesterday, Melbourne's 19-year-old centre Greg Inglis.

However, he said he would speak to Storm coach Craig Bellamy, who believes the teenager is too young for Origin football.

"It would be prudent and wise of us to have a chat to Craig about what he thinks Greg is capable of," Meninga said.

"The analogy I come to is Freddie (Brad) Fittler, Laurie Daley and Allan Langer, they played Origin at 18, 19, 20 years of age.

Parramatta's Jeremy Smith edged closer to a Test debut for New Zealand when he was named in first grade for Friday night's game against Wests Tigers.

Smith was earmarked by Kiwis coach Brian McClennan in The Australian this month as a potential half for the Anzac Test at Suncorp Stadium.

And Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has indicated he would like to speak to McClennan about Sonny Bill Williams.

In team news, Andrew Johns was not named to play against Melbourne at Olympic Park on Saturday night, Jarrod Mullen was selected at halfback and Danny Buderus named captain.

Wests Tigers fullback and skipper Brett Hodgson had surgery on a broken left hand yesterday with Tim Sheens naming backrower Ben Galea and halfback Scott Prince as joint captains.

*Kimmy*_old

meh they can have him....

i hope he feels weird if he plays for qld....he knows he'll never fully be a queenslander

KeepingTheFaith_old

Loyal Hunt?? I guess that depends on what side of the fence you're sitting on.

edguy_old

you know the broncos call him special k as a nickname ...

but i prefer his nickname to be Mike

Kar Mike al

Mike Hunt.....lol

if he wants to play state of origin and be a aussie cossie , and go aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi , instead of doing the haka .....so be it ..

let him play for the darkside ,,,,we the world champs now .....who needs him

I hope he does get chosen for Origin - at least that will mean he'll never play for the Kiwis. What would be even better would be to see him play for the Kangaroos and watch the boys give him a hiding!!

*Kimmy*_old

Jonesy said:
I hope he does get chosen for Origin - at least that will mean he'll never play for the Kiwis. What would be even better would be to see him play for the Kangaroos and watch the boys give him a hiding!!
haha omg that would be so cool...id crack up laughing....:p

Becs_old

Hope Tony Carroll plays for the aussies so Rubes and the boys can line that turncoat up again

edguy_old

back in world war 2 they used to stand traitors up against the wall , blind fold em and shoot the bastar*s

*Kimmy*_old

I hate Tonie Carroll the most out of them all!!

I mean he played for us in the world cup..then just backstabs us.

I dont mind Brad Thorn, as he has played for NZ in union <3

corey_old

I dont mind Brad Thorn, as he has played for NZ in union <3[/quote]

thats even worse dude, thorn just wanted to play for the best rugby team...then he is too good to play for the kiwis....thats shocking!

*Kimmy*_old

corey said:

thats even worse dude, thorn just wanted to play for the best rugby team...then he is too good to play for the kiwis....thats shocking![/quote]
Atleast he has represented NZ in some international sport..its better then not playing for NZ at all...well in my opinion it is.

JonB_old

Go_The_Doggies said:
corey said:

thats even worse dude, thorn just wanted to play for the best rugby team...then he is too good to play for the kiwis....thats shocking!
Atleast he has represented NZ in some international sport..its better then not playing for NZ at all...well in my opinion it is.[/quote]

i like Brad Thorn really nice guy, he just wanted to give rugby his best shot and the same with league, good on him I say.

*Kimmy*_old

i like Brad Thorn really nice guy, he just wanted to give rugby his best shot and the same with league, good on him I say.

I wanna meet him...sounds cool lol :p