TeamList [2023, Finals Week 1] - Penrith Vs Warriors

Nah, We might as well go full defensive mode and put walker @6 to try and keep the score below 100 🤣 Because the Panthers will be on Volkman like flies on shit.
Not going to score with a rusty TMM & a inexperienced Volkman in a finals pressure cooker game like this.
I maybe negative as fuck right now. But i can't see how we beat them with SJ out. Cut our losses, Go full on defensive mode & try to keep the score respectable.
Our best bet is to set up simple plays for AFB & Nuikore to barge over close to the line. No Intricate backline moves where we drop the ball and hand it over every damn play lol. Cos panthers capitalise on mistakes better than any other team.

My thinking is there was a game plan put together.

The 7 is out, replace him with a 7.

Now we are (presumably) moving our 6 to 7 (off the back of 1.5 games), our key interchange forward to 6 and surely a gameplan that relied on good field position through effective kicking is out the window...

I don't know, it feels we have been caught on the hop with this

Some takes in here are worst than the gameday threads haha.

I dunno... This one's pretty good...

Screenshot_20230907_201015_Facebook.jpg

Before the site got wiped clean, someone noted that the Panthers roped in a guy last minute during Round 24 & he started in jersey #26. I wonder if Webster & co will be trying to do the same with Volkman (to cover #18 man at the very least)?

There's no real winners here. Volkman would get eaten alive, and neither TMM or Walker can kick a ball with any sort of surety.

Guess we are just gonna have to defend for our lives and every offensive set be 80m+? Seems easy enough 👀

I don't think it would be that bad but there is risk in picking him.

I am speculating a lot as we all are until the team is named.

But I don't see any advantage to be gained from moving Walker from his bench role, it's clearly been an effective strategy and we are the number one team in the middle (or something like that).

Weakening a strength to only plug a gap is a poor strategy.

Walker was ineffective at 6 earlier in the season

It could still be a tactical move to save SJ for the knockout games, that's the only vague hope I still have amidst this disaster.

It could still be a tactical move to save SJ for the knockout games, that's the only vague hope I still have amidst this disaster.
I hope that's not the attitude we are taking. Every game should be considered a .
must win. We are just lucky to get a second bite if we lose our first game due to finishing in top 4.

There should be no saving. Play your best and even if 50/50 gotta take your chances. But to say 2 days before game that he's unavailable but he'll be available best week. Surely can't just be for ensuring a sell out as that'll happen either way.

It's just shit messaging in that social media post.

I don't know, it feels we have been caught on the hop with this
Yeah bro. I just see them tearing young Volkman a new one if he plays. The amount of traffic that will come his way will be like nothing he's ever faced before.
That's why i would prefer we put our experienced blokes in and try to ride this out. Hopefully SJ is right next week. Just start all the mongrels Tevaga, Lussick, Curran and tell them them to break some bones 🤣🤣

I hope that's not the attitude we are taking. Every game should be considered a .
must win. We are just lucky to get a second bite if we lose our first game due to finishing in top 4.

There should be no saving. Play your best and even if 50/50 gotta take your chances. But to say 2 days before game that he's unavailable but he'll be available best week. Surely can't just be for ensuring a sell out as that'll happen either way.

It's just shit messaging in that social media post.

Was the weirdest post from the club all season

They were scrambling, why? If it's a sore calf and he's good to go next week why can't the coach deliver that message?

I find it hard to disagree with a couple of posters who have suggested we look a bit out of our depth, we're looking flustered and sadly that usually translates into the performance on the field.

People won't go for it but it's actually not a stupid move. Trouble is, how do you replicate Tohu in his current game-playing, uber-tackling role?
Jokes folks 🤣
i think walker has been one of the best bench players in the nrl this year. the 3 or so games he started at 6 were pretty bad. Part of it is i think he tried way too hard. but id rather keep him on the bench cause hes going to need to bring some punch off the bench. curran has been great lately so give him 80.

my honest first choice would be volkman. but at least with tohu you know he plays the link role really well and is generally really good in defense.

i dunno man do you put CNK to 6 and Tuipiki to 1? walker to 6 in a semi final just feels...... uninspiring

Worst case scenario playing out really.

Regardless of what happens you’re gonna have blokes defending and attacking in keys positions where they haven’t played or trained in for most of the year in the biggest game of their careers.

As much as I hope you are right the fact Stuff and others are reporting it I think it's right.

Volkman comes in? your thoughts?

I would play Volkman because without a kicking game you cannot win an NRL final. And it is actually impossible against Penrith.

We will spend seventy percent or more of the game in our own territory.

I get why Volkman is not being rushed in, it is to protect Volkmans future, a game like this could ruin a young player.

Still, we will all watch just the same, watch our brave lads play without gun powder and watch them fight as they go down.

Hoping it is not one of those turn it off at half time jobs. I am watching it with people and they are new to the game, if we are thirty points down at half time I ain't putting them through the rest of that.

Back