General Locke at Fullback

Fazz_old

I made the teams under the assumption he's play 80, but by all means, if Ivan wants to use both I'm keen! I guess it comes down to who Ivan thinks will bring more to the team...Mara or Taylor/Tai'ai

Edifier_old

Luck has an added dimension this year with what seems a better attacking game. His defence has also been more aggressive, strong grass cutters or pick up and dump. I can see Taylor developing into Luck (truck) but I’d still prefer the proven Luck machine into 2012.

I'd also leave Locke at the back and find a spot for Fish on the wing - gosh what a position to be in; even if poor Manu looks the shade of what we know he can offer.

Another happy week going into the bye – and we’re looking much better than the doom and gloom of the season start.

Spence_old

Like I said earlier, I'd drop Taylor before anyone, and that includes Luck. I like what Luck has been doing this year.

DanKokoro_old

I really liked Locke's distribution coming into the line. Nothing worthy of getting the tissues out, but it was crisp. Took the line on at the right times, passed at the right times.

Yep, he didn't get bundled every single time he got the ball, unlike Lance..

He's only gonna get better and better in that position as he gains confidence too..

i love kevin.. love him

Spence_old

I felt like Lance would either throw a ridiculous money ball to the winger once every little while, then completely destroy any momentum we'd have every other time he got the ball in the backline. However, the former would mean that we couldn't really bag his distribution as he did get some results. I already feel like Locke has shown more smarts about getting good fast ball out wide or knowing when to tuck it under the arm. He's already proving threatening running to ball close to the line too, which is an added bonus, as I didn't really expect to see that from him.

Or maybe I'm just watching games with my Locke-loving glasses on, looking past all his faults and exaggurating everything he does well.

Either way, I'm enjoying the games. So blah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz_old

We're probably all a bit guilty of that. But still, he's playing well for sure. He's only made two or three real stuff ups

1. Dropping a bomb under pressure vs the Titans
2. The attempted miracle run vs the Knights where he was bundled into touch
3. Not reading that a 40/20 was on vs Souths, though that was a hard one to call against him since the kick was a pearler and on the third.

Spence_old

I don't blame him for that 40/20, it was simply a great play from Sandow. The other two are though. Huge brain explosion from Locke getting bundled into touch. I'd also add he ran a poor supporting line when Maloney made that break against the Titans, kind of crossed paths with him, but that was a fairly tricky situation as Maloney was weaving around a bit.

Northern_Union

I felt like Lance would either throw a ridiculous money ball to the winger once every little while, then completely destroy any momentum we'd have every other time he got the ball in the backline. However, the former would mean that we couldn't really bag his distribution as he did get some results. I already feel like Locke has shown more smarts about getting good fast ball out wide or knowing when to tuck it under the arm. He's already proving threatening running to ball close to the line too, which is an added bonus, as I didn't really expect to see that from him.

Or maybe I'm just watching games with my Locke-loving glasses on, looking past all his faults and exaggurating everything he does well.

Either way, I'm enjoying the games. So blah.

By Lance do you mean last seasons POY winner here at NZW?

Spence_old

I don't understand why you bring that point up every single time we discuss Lance. I'm not saying he was bad last season, so it's completely irrelevant. I'm not even saying he's been bad this year, I'm simply commenting on one aspect of his role as a fullback compared to how Locke is doing in that one aspect. I also gave him credit for pulling off some remarkable cut out passes. I feel like you are trying to make me look like I'm hating on Lance every time, by bring up some dated, irrelevant fact. Why is that?

I have no problem if you disagree, I'd love to have a discussion about it, but instead of throwing out the same old boring line about us voting him the POTY LAST season, tell me why you think Lance's distribution has been better than Locke's so far this season? Once again, this isn't about Lance as a player, it's only about his distribution running into the line in the opposition 20m when he was playing fullback.

Northern_Union

I don't understand why you bring that point up every single time we discuss Lance. I'm not saying he was bad last season, so it's completely irrelevant. I'm not even saying he's been bad this year, I'm simply commenting on one aspect of his role as a fullback compared to how Locke is doing in that one aspect. I also gave him credit for pulling off some remarkable cut out passes. I feel like you are trying to make me look like I'm hating on Lance every time, by bring up some dated, irrelevant fact. Why is that?

I have no problem if you disagree, I'd love to have a discussion about it, but instead of throwing out the same old boring line about us voting him the POTY LAST season, tell me why you think Lance's distribution has been better than Locke's so far this season? Once again, this isn't about Lance as a player, it's only about his distribution running into the line in the opposition 20m when he was playing fullback.

Well reading your last post you'd think he was the worst player going around.

I felt like Lance would either throw a ridiculous money ball to the winger once every little while, then completely destroy any momentum we'd have every other time he got the ball in the backline

Is completely contradictory of the POY table of 2010.

Anyway, on the following:
tell me why you think Lance's distribution has been better than Locke's so far this season?

Lance has been a ball distributor most of his career. Came through the ranks as a halfback. Kevin is still finding his feet in first grade as fullback. I can't recall Kevin throwing any long or cut out balls to put people away YET.

Fazz_old

If you want to count this, he threw a money ball to Brown who then put manu away. Also threw an offload that sent mara away, though an offload isn't really what you guys are talking about.

Also, key word is YET :D

Spence_old

Well reading your last post you'd think he was the worst player going around.

Is completely contradictory of the POY table of 2010.

Anyway, on the following:

Lance has been a ball distributor most of his career. Came through the ranks as a halfback. Kevin is still finding his feet in first grade as fullback. I can't recall Kevin throwing any long or cut out balls to put people away YET.

How did my post make him seem bad? I pointed our one flaw that I believe he has, I don't see how that makes me seem like I don't rate him at all. Even in that flaw I said that he does do some good things in that regard.

And how does his form this year reflect on his awards from last season? So do you agree that we can't say anything bad about Denan Kemp, as his previous season at the Broncos he was leading try scorer and one of the form wingers in the comp? I don't understand the logic.

Lance may have come through as a half back, but to be honest, I don't see it. Like I said, he definitely has the ability to throw the money balls, he has done so a few times already this season. However, I don't see any middle ground with him. I find he gets caught with the ball making poor options too often, or producing something magic.

Northern_Union

Denan Kemp? He was absolute crap from the moment he came to the Warriors. Whats the correlation?

Spence_old

Well you said I can't say anything bad about Lance's game as he was good last season, why doesn't that apply to Kemp?

Northern_Union

I never said you could say anything bad about Lance. Sweeping statements that ignore facts i'll continue to pull up.

Spence_old

Sorry, could you expand. Why does Lances performances last season have any bearing on my thoughts on his distribution this year. If you are trying to say that he can distribute well, by proving he has in the past, you're barking up the wrong tree; I've already admitted he CAN throw money balls. My qualm's with him THIS SEASON is that he has been inconsistant in this regard.

I must be missing something, what is your point about him being good last season, which I agree with?