General Locke at Fullback

Ryno_old

Man im so glad that we finally gave him a chance at fullback. Looks like hes definitely starting to get his mojo back and man can he cover defend or what!

Everyone happy with his performances so far? Number 1 Fullback at the Warriors?

Fazz_old

He's a new man at fullback. The vulcans bounceback has been in effect for any player that's been dropped and returned, but no more so then for locke. Even on the wing he was dynamic. He's lifted to a new level at fullback though. I think I even saw him put in a bomb today.

I think he is our number 1 fullback. The fish will be pushing him for a spot all the way though. I'll be interested to see what our backline is.
After the bye, personally this is what I'm pulling for.
1. Locke
2. Fisiiahi
3. Inu
4. Mannering/Brown
5. Vatuvei

Don't want this though:
1. Locke
2. Fisiiahi
3. Inu
4. Berrigan
5. Vatuvei

Would result in both Mannering and brown going back to th pack and thus Taylor/Tai'ai missing out.

I wouldn't mind if we saw this either tbh:

1. Locke
2. Inu
3. Brown
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei

Spence_old

So where is everyone on Ta'ai/Brown/Taylor if one has to miss out.

I really like what Taylor has been doing, but if Mannering goes back into the pack he'll defend just as well. I think we need Ta'ai just for that little spark, something different.

I'd, reluctantly, drop Taylor.

Spence_old

Locke's bomb was terrible. Not saying he's a bad kicker, but that one was.

Definitely lol worthy. It looked like it was gonna be a goody, I think the wind just picked it up and took it away. I really liked Locke's distribution coming into the line. Nothing worthy of getting the tissues out, but it was crisp. Took the line on at the right times, passed at the right times.

Fazz_old

Locke's bomb was terrible. Not saying he's a bad kicker, but that one was.

Yeah, I liked that he at least tried it though, execution will come with time. And lets be honest, it's better then anything from 2009 or Rovelli.

Lego_Man_old

I'd rather drop Luck than Elizabeth Taylor, on the assumption that Mannering returns to the pack eventually (perhaps this is wrong?)

I'm not sure what place Michael has in the team come 2012 though with the return of Jewome.

Spence_old

At the risk of being killed by NU again, I agree, I don't see a place for Luck next season. Which is a shame, but I guess a positive thing for the club that good players are missing out due to better players form, rather than being dropped for their own form.

Northern_Union

At the risk of being killed by NU again, I agree, I don't see a place for Luck next season. Which is a shame, but I guess a positive thing for the club that good players are missing out due to better players form, rather than being dropped for their own form.

Now putting your realistic glasses on and knowing how Ivan stays loyal to performers, do you really see Ivan dropping Luck?

Spence_old

Well if he stays loyal to performers and both Taylor and Luck are performing well, one has to be dropped. I don't see why it couldn't be Luck?

Fazz_old

Yeah, I dunno where Luck will go either. He's contracted to the end of next year isn't he? I suppose there's still a place for him if you straight swap Berrigan for Jro? Luck's form has been excellent this year, so honestly, I won't be complaining if he stays in the team until he leaves. Maybe we could see Liz train for the centres over the offseason if no signings are made in that area? I mean, Mannering is handling it ok and Taylor is a lot faster then him...

I'd like to see:

1. Locke
2. Fisiiahi
3. Inu
4. Jro
5. Vatuvei
6. Johnson
7. Maloney
8. Rapira
9. Friend
10. Packer
11. Mannering
12. Mateo
13. Luck

14. Taylor (utility hooker/2nd row/lock/centre/5/8th cover. Mara would be here, but he wouldn't get enough minutes to justify being in the team. Taylor on the other hand could cover just about any position we needed him in other then Fullback or Prop)
15 Brown
16 Lillyman
17 Matulino

Kills me to leave out Tai'ai. But the only way he'd fit into the team is if we went with a pack of
8. Rapira
9. Friend
10. Packer
11. Mannering
12. Mateo
13. Taylor (probably playing the 80, but if benched/needed as injury cover Mannering would move to lock)

14. Brown (playing 2nd row, injury cover for centre and at a pinch, hooker though)
15 Tai'ai
16 Lillyman
17 Matulino

I don't think we'll see the second line up until 2013 or unless Luck is injured though. Even if it does look like a stronger line up.

Spence_old

In both of those you've left out Mara. Concious decision to go with a big bench? That bench definitely excites me.

Fazz_old

Yeah, As I said, unless the plan is for Friend to cut down his minutes in a big way, Mara would be a waste of a spot imo. I'd rather us rotating props and 2nd rowers around with an extra option rather then wasting a spot.

I went with Taylor/Brown over Mara in both cases since those two are not only in great form, but also can cover other positions, making them more useful.

Not that I would spit the dummy if Mara was in the team, just if he was only used for 10-15 minutes (What a Tim Sheens move that would be...)

Lego_Man_old

Well Friend and Mara bring different things to the table so why not use both?

Friend i'm sure would be more effective if he played less minutes, especially given that he is heading towards the twilight of his career. Mara can focus on dummy half running, Friend can organise and create. I dont think we need to assume that Friend will definitely be an 80 minute hooker every week.