General Lets say New Zealand had another franchise...

Wiki_old

Who would get it? I have thought about this time and time again so here is a thread for this discussion.

I wouldn't mind a combined Wellington / Christchurch team. What colours would we have though?

Would it be the Bulls or would there be a totally new outfit?

Having a Wellington and Christchurch would mean that because league is smaller in these communities it would slowly give them a chance to check it out.

IF I was a very wealthy man then I would follow in Watson's footsteps for supplying tickets for the fans - well for the first couple of games. It would help boost the profile and get people to the game at the start.

I would also have a premier league team for the development boys.

Venue ideas? QEII Stadium is still quite a good stadium.

Name ideas? I like Dukes, Dolphins, Wasps. Hmmm. Actually, they are dumb names except Dolphins. They could be nicknamed the Phins :).
Orcas is a cool name ...that was the name used for the bid for Wellington's NRL franchise right?

Ronnie_7_old

The only problem with Christchurch is that its too far away. And if it was a combined team where would you have home games and set up base? For the moment I would say have a Wellington team.

As for names:

Weliingtom Wolves
Wellington Buffalos
Wellington Cougars (use to be the Waikato Cougars)

Need something original

warriors4life_old

If another New Zealand franchise did get a club would we still be the New Zealand Warriors or just the Auckland Warriors? And also, would they sign players (development or full time) from our club? Because if they did then I for one would not approve.

MarkW_old

Positively Definitely Wellington...

The overwhelming majority of Cantabrians are rah rah supporters, mostly due to their beloved Crusaders.
There is a staunch but small league community down that way, and I'm sure they'd get a few interested punters keen to check out something new, but I doubt Chch would be a good long term prospect.

They could rename the Auckland bunch the Penrose Warriors ;)

Northern_Union

I think that the Cantabs should get the next team due to the history that the Canterbury teams built up over the years. Canterbury was the only provence that was able to beat Auckland on a regular basis. The reason that Canterbury has struggled in recent years is due to there own success. Professional teams from Australia/NZ/England/Wales and France have been hunting Canterbury players.

As for a venue, whats wrong with the Addington show grounds after a rebuild to bring the changing rooms up to speak and make it more media friendly and also get the capasity up to 20,000 from it's current 13,000.

Or why not share Jade with the Crusaders....seems to work for the Raiders and Brumbies.

Name....Canterbury Bulls or Canterbury Claymoors or Canterbury Cardinals. Possibilly Southern Whalers.

Northern_Union

Skinner said:
The next NZ franchise will be the Wellington based Orcas.

Not true, The NRL has said that a new NRL team for NZ is a matter of when not if....however they haven't said who will get it.

madbaz_old

What about The caterbury gladiators then the home ground could be called the coloseum.

Ronnie_7_old

that would be a good one except 2 teams that start off Canterbury is not right. Southern gladiators would be good but it would be hard getting people to watch them and go to the game considering the strong hold that rugby has on the region

madbaz_old

As is the case with the Warriors and Storm i think the teams performance would play a big part with crowd numbers.

JonB_old

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey RS_Dragon I think you are speaking more with your heart than your head. I know lots of loyal leaguies in christchurch, all the places that are big on league fit the lower socio economis demogragh ( i think i said that right) hornby, riccarton, kia poi linwood halswell none a really rich areas.
Aswell crusaders don't always break the 20000 mark for all home games . There last semi final didn't sell out.
A combined franchise has its pros and cons. I think the travel would be to great between wellington and christchurch.
Id say Wellington is a better bet. Wellington has a larger greater area population with big towns like palmeston north not that far away.
Remember the southisland still hasn't cracked the big one million yet.
One thing that goes for a christchurch based franchise is the canterbury bulls, they are one of the most successfull bartercard cup teams.

And it would be cool to have our own league franchise, however id hate to see it collapse.

PB_old

Wellington. They can be based out of Westpac Trust, and use traditional Wellington colours to foster immediate parochialism. The Warriors would simply be referred to as that or the Vodafone Warriors. That would hopefully stop the useless Aussie commentators calling them "New Zealand" all the time.

Canterbury may have the historical background to argue a team but it's about market forces and the Lower North Island has more growth in it, so a bigger catchment in areas not completely rugby orientated.

Northern_Union

True most league fans are working class or as you put it "lower socio economis demogragh" but answer me this, where do you think 90% of the NZ Warriors fans come from that turn up week in week out?

Aint from Howick brother i can tell ya that. They are the same people that'll turn up week in week out for the CHCH team that do that now for the Warriors. The working class, or as you put it "lower socio economis demogragh" Aint no Christ collage old boys in there just good old fashioned working classes.

corey_old

i like the Southern Orcas logo and jumper!!!! i would then like to see the Warriors go back to the Auckland Warriors.... it sounds crap the Nz Warriors, they don't call the Canberra Raiders the ACT Raiders, or the Melbourne Storm the Victoria Storm etc etc... my thoughts anyway

northwarrior_old

I don't buy into the cantab's being all for rugby....I can remember seeing lots of great RL players from CHCH when they've played AUCK...and I've seen them.
I think that some of them would gladly give up rugby for RL.....and I think it would do wonders to really have some competition for the public......I don't care where it goes...we need it the KIWIs need it.
As for a name......the Southern Red Backs....red for the Cantabs, and in reference to our spider.

IanR_old

The Southern Orcas works for me.

8 games at the Cake Tin, 4 at Jade. Or 10/2 spilt.

They'd at least need a few home games in Christchurch.