Rumour Left Wingers Score More Tries Than Right

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Miket12 Miket12 your stats have shown that the top teams score more tries on the right than the left. Given this, why are people complaining about Kata's alleged inability to pass to his winger? Surely that would increase the ratio of tries scored in favour of our right side and therefore make us a top team. Kata is a true team man and the thinking mans rugby league player
You're right, Kata's inability to pass does alter our figures. As does that our #1 playmaker is usually on the right or the right centre who has the ability to set up his winger.

But all of this still doesn't alter the fact that of the top eight teams, the top five teams were able to score more tries on the right than on the left.

I'd actually put it down to the coaching and confidence - it is harder for most right hand players to pass to right but the top teams have over come this with their structures and confidence to play to both sides with ease the while teams lower down the table haven't got the confidence and are playing an easier game passing to the left.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
I've bold the important part of my post that has you all worked up...historically.

I'm sure i dont have to give the definition of the word so...if you could just compile a list of the other what is it? 108 years of tries scored by position, that'd be great.

I'm very certain you wont like the results...now get to it;).

Ok gentlemen settle down, I've found the real reason there is a problem, ol Faceplant cant spell HYSTERICALLY.
As in "Faceplant becomes hysterical whenever he hears Manu's name."

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
You're right, Kata's inability to pass does alter our figures. As does that our #1 playmaker is usually on the right or the right centre who has the ability to set up his winger.

But all of this still doesn't alter the fact that of the top eight teams, the top five teams were able to score more tries on the right than on the left.

I'd actually put it down to the coaching and confidence - it is harder for most right hand players to pass to right but the top teams have over come this with their structures and confidence to play to both sides with ease the while teams lower down the table haven't got the confidence and are playing an easier game passing to the left.
I think you might find it is less about teams ability to pass the ball and more about the defensive team not being able to slide to the left and defend against a right side attack. As the majority of people are right handed it is easier to move to their dominant side. Historically left handed players are the best defenders against right edge attack

• Haha
Reactions: Miket12 and surfin

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I think you might find it is less about teams ability to pass the ball and more about the defensive team not being able to slide to the left and defend against a right side attack. As the majority of people are right handed it is easier to move to their dominant side. Historically left handed players are the best defenders against right edge attack
Could well be right - someone, somewhere has probably looked into it as their thesis for a sports science doctorate.

Me, I'm just a simple designer!!!

BTW, I wonder if I'll get banned if I ask you to back your historical claim up with facts ;)

Reactions: surfin and Inruin

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland

again, I love your stats, but I think we'd need to look at the entire right edge vs left edge to make the claim. If a centre is scoring more than the winger - that edge is still succeeding etc... The halves and edge forwards make it difficult to ascertain that piece. I think most teams tend to use their best players more often... and there is that tendency. the more well balanced the side, the more equal the split...

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
again, I love your stats, but I think we'd need to look at the entire right edge vs left edge to make the claim. If a centre is scoring more than the winger - that edge is still succeeding etc... The halves and edge forwards make it difficult to ascertain that piece. I think most teams tend to use their best players more often... and there is that tendency. the more well balanced the side, the more equal the split...
Can you please go back to 1908 to see how it stacks up please?

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
This thread has gotten interesting with the stats or depending on how you view that sort of thing it could be good bed time reading.;)

Some of the banter you guys are starting to sound like Origin players with the "he said, she said". Yeah I'm sticking with that definition now instead of Gould's little 1% plays and the player being tagged as an "Origin Player" due to Gallen's poor winners, back turning and Smith/Thurston's complaining about back turning and "not what their about". Anytime a player whines to a ref or complains I'm tagging that an Origin play or an Origin player.:p

Now on the stats. Do we have a thread for stats?
It would be worth looking at. A lot of posters say during the recruitment threads we should recruit "money ball" style. Well that is a simple way to look at it as the recruitment was the end result. It was based off an underground community pre news boards, forums etc that shared baseball stats and what they meant.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
The data I found is based on the most prolific try scorers for over 100 years, and the deeper I got into them, the more shaky his stance looked. But yes, that was only based on 64 players who had scored over 100 try's and he must have the historical stats for every player to have ever played FG - a much better source than I have available.

Haha, still bringing the wrong stats to the discussion...ah well, looks like you lose yet another one.

My statement was very basic and very clear, left wing has historically scored more tries than any other position which you obviously keep forgetting, and whether you believed it or not, well, i couldn't care less, but if you're going to make such a song and dance about it, at least prove me wrong with the correct information.

Semi's :hilarious:

Last edited:

Jordan G

Or you could provide ANY information to back up your claim and put it to rest once and for all?

• Haha
Reactions: surfin

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Well at least you now understand where the burden of proof lies...you learnt something new which is always nice :).

So you're still evading the question, and I didn't learn anything yet. Can you provide me the source of your stats so I can look at it and analyse it? I love numbers and I love league, I just want to see the numbers.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Right wing is historically the most prolific try scoring position in the game...

Careful, you're very likely to have someone freak out about your comment, start regurgitating stats that do nothing to disprove your statement in a a vain and desperate attempt to prove you wrong...probably because they themselves have been wrong sooo many times in the past.

Just a warning, good luck;).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Right wing is historically the most prolific try scoring position in the game...
You're wrong - I'm 100% confident that it's the bench second rower. Now, someone drag up the data from all the FG tries scored since 1908 to prove me wrong.

See, you can't find stats that disprove this so I must be right!!!

End of discussion, can we close this thread now.

Oh, and for those who may be interested, of the Top 5 players to score over 100 tries since 1908 (how's that for historic facts!!), 37.7% of the 893 tries scored were by fullbacks compared to 23.7% by "the more prolific left wingers".

Taking it out to the Top 10 players (more historical stats!!), 29.8% of the total 1680 tries scored by these players was by fullbacks, 24.4% by right wingers compared to 21.7% by "the more prolific left wingers".

Lets' extend it out to the Top 20 most prolific try scorers and again the left wingers are behind (fullbacks scored 25% of the 3108 tries compared to 24.4% for right wingers and a distant 20.9% for left wingers).

Top 30, the left wingers are still behind, Top 40, yip, still behind.

But then there's a ray of hope, at the Top 50, the left wingers pull ahead, and stay there at the Top 60 mark, but, alas, when the last 7 players who scored over 100 tries since the beginning of FG league in a Sydney comp are added, the Left wingers fall behind again. Of the 8,418 tries scored by the top try scorers to play the game for the NSWRL/SL/NRL are finalized, the figures are:
1. Fullbacks who scored 1,924 tries (22.9%)
2. Left wing who scored 1,824 tries (21.7%)
3. Right wing who scored 1,777 tries (21.1%)
4. Centres who scored 1,381 tries (16.4%)
5. Locks/second rowers, Five Eights & Half backs combined scored 1,512 tries (17.9%)

This based on the positions that I found to be where players played for most of their careers. For three wingers, I couldn't determine that as they played numberous games on both wings, and for four other wingers, I couldn't find any information of which wing they even played on, so I included their try stats in the left wingers columns. Even if the bottom lowest of these seven, Jack Lindwall, had scored more of his tries playing on the right, then the "more prolific left wingers" would drop down into third spot.

And, for the real train spotters against us, yes, I'm looking at you Jay M Jay M, here's the raw data used and taken from the following web page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_with_100_NRL_tries

Oh, and before anyone rubbishes the use of a wiki page to get these, I checked all the try scoring figures from other sites including club sites and the very useful rugbyleagueproject.org site and all of the numbers on the wiki page are correct.

upload_2016-7-23_19-29-51.png

upload_2016-7-23_19-30-51.png

upload_2016-7-23_19-31-25.png

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings