Rumour Left Wingers Score More Tries Than Right

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Jay M Jay M - I've completed the first six rounds for the bottom eight comparing the tries scored by the left wing to the right wing and there's only one try difference: left wing has 25 to the right wings 24. I'll see when I can get a chance to finish it off - be interesting to see if you get the same results as me.

BTW, you must have a lot more time available than me if you doing all the positions ;)

Reactions: Jay M

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
I'm using nrlstats.com and filling in the spreadsheet during quiet patches at work.

nice work Miket12 Miket12 - I'm about a third of the way through all the teams with all starting positions (working backwards from round 19 to round 14 so far) and so far mine looks like: right wing 46 tries, and 17% of total, left wing 49 tries and 18% of the total, fullback is 26 tries and 9% of totals. left centre is 28 tries (10%), right centre is 23 tries (8%), five eighth is 14 tries (5%), halfback is 16 tries (6%), starting props 12 tries (4%), hooker 6 tries (2%), back row (I didn't differentiate left edge from right edge) 28 tries (10%), lock 7 tries (3%), and bench (didn't differentiate between bench positions) 23 tries (8%).

some of the teams use different numbers on the backs of their centres/wings, so have been using the highlight packages for that. was too lazy for separating out bench players, specific prop positions, and edge forwards so far.

I am doing it by team though, so when I finish (I estimate that will be around 2-3pm this afternoon), we can see if there is any linkage between dominant halves or not on that edge (for centres/wings at least).

So for teams with dominant halves - so far I'm thinking:
Manly - DCE (playing on the left)
Warriors - Shaun Johnson (playing on the right)
Cowboys - JT (although he tends to play both sides so that could be problematic trying to ascertain if he has an influence, but he usually starts on the left)
Storm - Cronk (I think he's playing right side this year with Green on the left?)
Roosters - Pearce - but will only look at them from round 9 onwards when he returned
Rabbitohs - does anyone know off the top of their head which side Reynolds plays on?
Sharks - I'll look at the split because I think it should favour Maloney, but it might not.
Knights - looking at Mullen's side specifically
Tigers - I'll look again, but suspect it might be split close to 50-50 with Moses and Brooks both starting
Titans - again this one could be interesting. not sure if they're favouring a particular side or not.

I'm leaving out (of the dominant playmaker discussion):
Bulldogs - Mbye/Reynolds - neither one is dominant really (IMO)
Raiders - same can be said for Austin/Sezer
Broncos - Milford/Hunt tend to share the workload (I think)
Eels - because Foran/Norman have both been in/out of the side
Dragons - Widdop/Marshall - not really dominant
Panthers - too many half changes this year (Wallace/Soward/Cartwright/Cleary)
And then the next iteration would be to factor in ball hog centres such as Kata and Jennings...

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Jay M Jay M - I've completed the first six rounds for the bottom eight comparing the tries scored by the left wing to the right wing and there's only one try difference: left wing has 25 to the right wings 24. I'll see when I can get a chance to finish it off - be interesting to see if you get the same results as me.

BTW, you must have a lot more time available than me if you doing all the positions ;)

Not necessarily time available. When I'm running reports I have a bit of cross over time. I'm just doing round by round in between phone calls, emails, running reports, and I'll try to get another 3-4 rounds down at lunch time while I eat ;)

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
And the results are in:
The right wingers have scored a total of 156 tries so far this year to the left wingers 149. Not much in it but the right wingers are more prolific at scoring tries than the left (51% compared to 49%).

upload_2016-7-22_12-43-7.png

Summary:
If you're a good team, you are more likely to score more points on the right hand side while if you're a bottom of the table team, you are more likely to score on the left hand side (at least for the first 19 Rounds this season!!!)

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
And the results are in:
The right wingers have scored a total of 156 tries so far this year to the left wingers 149. Not much in it but the right wingers are more prolific at scoring tries than the left (51% compared to 49%).

View attachment 19674
Summary:
If you're a good team, you are more likely to score more points on the right hand side while if you're a bottom of the table team, you are more likely to score on the left hand side (at least for the first 19 Rounds this season!!!)

Finally got a chance to finish mine off. The numbers I have on the wings are slightly different to yours Miket12 Miket12 but they are pretty close really (I may have stuffed up my allocations a couple of times during interruptions ):

Rounds 1-19, by position (please note there may be inaccuracies and weirdness in some of these stats, i.e. Shaun Johnson for the first few rounds was scoring tries as a five-eighth, but in later rounds has been at halfback, even though he's been playing right half the entire time. these have been compiled based on jersey numbers, and some of them may not be correct as wingers in certain teams switch sides from week to week - I have tried to weed these out using the highlights packages, but there will undoubtedly be some inaccuracies in here somewhere):
Fullback - 85 tries (9%)
Left wing 153 tries (16%) - this compares to 149 tries based on Miket12 Miket12 's analysis above, so somewhere along the way I may have switched a couple of players (I bet it's the tigers wingers or rabbitohs wingers who switched around)
Left centre 96 tries (10%)
Right centre 89 tries (9%)
Right wing 151 tries (16%)
Five eighth 74 tries (8%)
Halfback 61 tries (6%)
Starting props 39 tries (4%)
Starting hooker 29 tries (3%)
Edge forwards 101 tries (10%)
Lock 26 tries (3%)
Interchange players 68 tries (7%)

By club - looking at the tries scored on the edges (ignoring the fullback who might have popped up anywhere):
Warriors - 16 tries on the left, 6 left wing, 10 left centre, 7 right centre, 12 right wing - not really a lot in it, but does indicate a preference for the right hand side (which is where Shaun Johnson pops up and is supported by the fact Afoa and Thompson also score tries on the right - even though I didn't split out the edge forwards)
Manly - left wing 9, left centre 6, right centre 4, right wing 5 - strong preference for the left - being DCE's side of the field. There's a discrepancy here between my data and Miket12 Miket12 's - which I am assuming will be due to Taufua switching sides during the season or team lists.
Dragons - left wing 9, left centre 4, right centre 4, right wing 5. They have a preference for the left - which I think is Widdop's side with Marshall popping up on the right? (not 100% on that one)
Titans - left wing 10, left centre 3, right centre 6, right wing 7 - split 50-50 which makes sense with their split halves attack.
Rabbitohs - left wing 6, left centre 9, right centre 6, right wing 10 - split pretty much 50-50.
Broncos - left wing 13, left centre 2, right centre 7, right wing 10 - pretty close to 50-50
Knights - left wing 6, left centre 4, right centre 5, right wing 5. split 50-50.
Storm - left wing 12, left centre 4, right centre 5, right wing 19. Preference for the right which is where Cronk plays.
Panthers - left wing 9, left centre 4, right centre 5, right wing 7. split pretty much 50-50
Eels - left wing 11, left centre 9, right centre 7, right wing 11. Split pretty much 50-50
Roosters - left wing 9, left centre 2, right centre 6, right wing 5. split 50-50 (there is a difference in tries scored before Pearce returned though, the left edge scored 3 more than the right edge in the last 11 rounds, whereas the right edge outscored the left edge by 3 in the first 8 rounds - which side does Pearce play on normally?)
Sharks - left wing 14, left centre 2, right centre 5, right wing 14 - split pretty close to 50-50 with Townsend and Maloney playing either side
Raiders - left wing 7, left centre 11, right centre 5, right wing 11 - split again close to 50-50
Tigers - left wing 11, left centre 11, right centre 4, right wing 9 - indicates a preference for the left, which is where Moses plays I think?
Dogs - left wing 14, left centre 9, right centre 5, right wing 12 - slight advantage to the left edge which is where Mbye runs the Dogs
Cowboys - left wing 7, left centre 6, right centre 8, right wing 9 - slight advantage to the right for the Cowboys. Which isn't the side JT plays on, but it is the side that is more stable and prolific in try-scoring with O'Neill/Feldt generally.

Mr Brownstone - Jennings doesn't seem to have much of an impact on the Eels try-scoring splits for their wings, split 11-11 largely between Radradra and French. But Kata/Ayshford do have an impact on the Warriors edges with the warriors left wing at half the right wing's total. But could part of that be the difference between Shaun Johnson and Robson/Leuluai, and part of it being the partial absence of Manu this season?

I think Miket12 Miket12 's analysis put to bed the left wing vs right wing debate, and even factoring in the centres - it's still pretty much a 50-50 split between where tries are scored across all the teams in the competition during 2016.

Any other requests for split-outs or requests by club as I have saved the spreadsheet... ?

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
Warriors - 16 tries on the left, 6 left wing, 10 left centre, 7 right centre, 12 right wing - not really a lot in it,

Nice work Jay M & Miket12, as you say not a lot in it. Good stats to hang on to as this question about our left and right side attack comes up quite frequently.

The preference of passing left or right posed by Facefacts I haven't heard that one before at the top level.

Last edited:

Jordan G

Probably just a side effect from watching Manu too closely. For most of Ivan's reign we could have gone without a right winger and nobody would have ever noticed.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Probably just a side effect from watching Manu too closely. For most of Ivan's reign we could have gone without a right winger and nobody would have ever noticed.
Considering that so many of Manly's tries are scored on the left this season (three times as many as their right side), it's like they're relying on Taufau to the same extent we used to rely on Manu.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
The right side defense nearly always have more traffic come their way simply because the majority of players are right handed, which is why left wing is historically the most prolific try scoring position in the game.

And the results are in:

View attachment 19674
Summary:

I've bold the important part of my post that has you all worked up...historically.

I'm sure i dont have to give the definition of the word so...if you could just compile a list of the other what is it? 108 years of tries scored by position, that'd be great.

I'm very certain you wont like the results...now get to it;).

• Haha
Reactions: Inruin

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Context must be something you don't understand, I was addressing Jay M Jay M's question about the current season.

Right, let's summarise all the stats I've given before and see if you're able to understand: if you look at the positions for the top try scorers in the old NSWRL/SL/NRL, the most top try scorers AREN'T left winger in numerical numbers (of the 30 top historical try scorers, 9 are fullbacks, 7 are right wingers, only a possible 6 are left wingers). If instead you want to look at the percentage of all the tries the top 20 try scorers, 25% of the tries were scored by fullbacks, 24% by right wings and only 21% by left wings. And before you say I should go further than this, I have and the figures for the left wing try scoring gets less and less (I.e. Less favourable to your position ) than what I've shown above.

The current NRL season doesn't reflect your claim, nor does the current ESL (3 of the top 4 wingers for the top 10 scorers this season play on the right wing).

Neither does the historic international try scoring records for GB (there are more props than left wingers in their top 8 and the right winger has scored over twice as many tries than the left winger), the Kiwis or the Australians.

But please, why don't you do something you haven't done in this debate and provide some verifiable historical stats the back up your statement that the most prolific try scoring position is the left wing - I'll save you time, except for Ken Irvine leading the try scoring, yoo won't be able too!!!

And then explain how beneficial that is to a team when the top five teams this season all have scored more tries on the right side than on the left but the bottom half of the table is dominated by teams who score more tries on the left. Funny, I thought that the idea was to win the premiership, not be down the bottom by relying on scoring on the left side!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: surfin and Jay M

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
I've bold the important part of my post that has you all worked up...historically.

I'm sure i dont have to give the definition of the word so...if you could just compile a list of the other what is it? 108 years of tries scored by position, that'd be great.

I'm very certain you wont like the results...now get to it;).

Given you claimed the stat. Given Miket12 Miket12 and I have both produced current stats that dispute your claim...

Evidence please? Not disputing your claim, but back it up now please :)

Reactions: surfin

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012

Join:

Apr 20, 2012
Miket12Warriors 1st Grader
Context must be something you don't understand, I was addressing @Jay M's question about the current season.

Right, let's summarise all the stats I've given before and see if you're able to understand: if you look at the positions for the top try scorers in the old NSWRL/SL/NRL, the most top try scorers AREN'T left winger in numerical numbers ( of the 30 top historical try scorers left wingers - 9 are fullback, 7 are right wingers, only a possible 6 are left wingers). If instead you want to look at the percentage of all the tries the top 20 try scorers, 25% of the tries were scored by fullbacks, 24% by right wings and only 21% by left wings. And before you say I should go further than this, I have and the figures for the left wing try scoring gets less and less (I.e. Less favourable to your position ) than what I've shown above.

The current NRL season doesn't reflect your claim, nor does the current ESL (3 of the top 4 wingers for the top 10 scorers this season play on the right wing).

Neither does the historic international try scoring records for GB (there are more props than left wingers in their top 8 and the right winger has scored over twice as many tries than the left winger), the Kiwis or the Australians.

But please, why don't you do something you haven't done in this debate and provide some verifiable historical stats the back up your statement that the most prolific try scoring position is the left wing - I'll save you time, except for Ken Irvine leading the try scoring, yoo won't be able too!!! And then explain how beneficial that is to a team when the top five teams this season all have scored more tries on the right side than on the left but the bottom half of the table is dominated by teams who score more tries on the left. Funny, I thought that the idea was to win the premiership, not be down the bottom by relying on scoring on the left side!!!

For they were Warriors ..... these mighty men of Valour
1 Chronicles 12:21

The burden of proof is on you because you choose to refute my claim, therefore you must prove my statement is false.

So far your evidence is laughable, bordering on nonsensical...leading try scorer stats have so many variables it's basically worthless.

I stated left wing is historically the most prolific try scoring position in the game...historically, so throwing out ridiculously minuscule stats which you obviously hand picked to suit your failing argument are also worthless.

You think i'm wrong...prove it with the necessary information.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
The burden of proof is on you because you choose to refute my claim, therefore you must prove my statement is false.

So far your evidence is laughable, bordering on nonsensical...leading try scorer stats have so many variables it's basically worthless.

I stated left wing is historically the most prolific try scoring position in the game...historically, so throwing out ridiculously minuscule stats which you obviously hand picked to suit your failing argument are also worthless.

I think you misunderstand the burden of proof. You claim it, you prove it.

I ran all the stats on all the positions for 2016. You give me an idea of where I can get the data for the entire history of the game, I'll crunch the numbers for you. There's an offer.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
I think you misunderstand the burden of proof. You claim it, you prove it.

I ran all the stats on all the positions for 2016. You give me an idea of where I can get the data for the entire history of the game, I'll crunch the numbers for you. There's an offer.

I think you misunderstand it.

To be proven wrong, guilty, liable, slanderous, whatever, it must be proven by the accuser.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

There is no burden of proof on me - you've made a claim which you can't back up.

You've asked me to provide historical stats and those I've used go back to include a player whose career started in 1911 - the NSWRL only started in 1907!!

As for hand picking stats, I've already said, if I increased the range, it disputes your position even more as it shows that there were less tries scored by left wingers compared to the other positions.

If, as you say, historically the left wing scores the most tries, then the historical facts should back that up. Your problem is the from the very top scorers you're wrong, as as you increase the range, the figures go less and less in your favour.

Reactions: surfin and Jay M

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I didn't say you were wrong. Just asked you to provide evidence supporting your claim.
You actually realise he can't..... Just in the same way when Mt Wellington, Weno and myself have asked him to, he hasn't

His position is purely based on his own opinion - and has no grounding in evidence or stats.... otherwise he'd show it.

And denying the stats when presented to someone doesn't mean they incorrect, just that he's not prepared to except them as they contrary to his opinion.

But then this is the same poster who is of the opinion that Blake's career will be damaged being partnered beside Manu ... even though Manu plays on the left wing while Blake has been primarily a right centre both at the Warriors and at his previous clubs. His motto appears to be, never let the facts get in the way of a Facefacts story!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: surfin

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
You actually realise he can't..... Just in the same way when Mt Wellington, Weno and myself have asked him to, he hasn't

His position is purely based on his own opinion - and has no grounding in evidence or stats.... otherwise he'd show it.

I'm not saying he can't, I'm just saying I'd like to see the evidence. Which I couldn't find when I looked for it the other day. Sadly, I think facefacts googling/internet search skills must be greater than mine. I am happy to crunch the numbers for him, if he can provide me with the source of his claim, or a source of data.

I mean, it is possible he is completely right, my data only looked at 19 rounds of the 2016 season.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Miket12 Miket12 your stats have shown that the top teams score more tries on the right than the left. Given this, why are people complaining about Kata's alleged inability to pass to his winger? Surely that would increase the ratio of tries scored in favour of our right side and therefore make us a top team. Kata is a true team man and the thinking mans rugby league player

• Haha
Reactions: facefacts and Jay M

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I'm not saying he can't, I'm just saying I'd like to see the evidence. Which I couldn't find when I looked for it the other day. Sadly, I think facefacts googling/internet search skills must be greater than mine. I am happy to crunch the numbers for him, if he can provide me with the source of his claim, or a source of data.

I mean, it is possible he is completely right, my data only looked at 19 rounds of the 2016 season.
The data I found is based on the most prolific try scorers for over 100 years, and the deeper I got into them, the more shaky his stance looked. But yes, that was only based on 64 players who had scored over 100 try's and he must have the historical stats for every player to have ever played FG - a much better source than I have available.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings