General Leeds win League Leaders' Shield

leeds_warrior_old

Leeds finished the regular season with the League Leaders' Shield after a battling victory over Salford to spoil Robbie Paul's final Super League game.

Tries from Luke Adamson and John Wilshere helped Salford to a 12-0 lead but Leeds were level by the break after Kallum Watkins and Jay Pitts scores.

The Rhinos carried their momentum into the second half with Luke Burgess and Brent Webb putting them 24-12 up.

Salford fought back late on, but Carl Ablett's try was enough for Leeds.

Paul, who has played in every Super League season, has signed to play for Leigh next season at the age of 33.

And his colleagues certainly tried to ensure his top-flight career ended on a high with late scores from Stuart Littler and Stefan Ratchford taking the home team to within six points of their opponents.

It was a pass from Paul that created the break for Ratchford, although the 21-year-old still had a lot to do, sprinting past several Leeds defenders from within his own half.

But the visiting team held on to finish the regular season four points clear of second-placed St Helens.

The Rhinos are the current Super League champions and will have to come through the restructured end-of-season play-offs if they are to retain their title. Leeds will meet either Hull KR or Huddersfield at Headingley in their opening play-off game next Friday.

Dogged determination from the home side saw Adamson crash over after 15 minutes and Wilshere's score in the corner further rattled the visitors.

But a brilliant break from Ryan Hall led to Watkins crossing and Pitts debut try ensured the scores were level at the break.

The Rhinos took charge after the restart and their pressure was finally rewarded when Burgess crossed.

Webb then collected a kick from Rob Burrow before scoring unopposed and when Ablett scored Leeds' fifth try the result was secure even accounting for Salford's late rally.

Salford coach Shaun McRae:

"It's game number 10 where we've lost by eight points or less so it kind of reflects our season.

"We've had opportunities but haven't been patient enough to maximise those or to seize the game.

"I thought 12-12 at half-time was a fair scoreline but in the second half we lost it in the first 20 minutes.

"We turned over far too much ball and spent too long defending our line."

Leeds coach Brian McClennan:

"It's a good feeling. It's been two long rounds and we got the job done despite coming up against a side I thought performed well and tried really hard.

"There's a lot of respect there, they beat us at Headingley and they had a crack at us.

"We had to work really hard and that's good preparation for the finals. But it's nice to pick up the award and having won the last match made it even better."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8246177.stm

leeds_warrior_old

Well 5 years of waiting but we finally won the league. Even better to see Bradford fail to qualify.

playdaball_old

I love that Leeds vs. Bradford rivalry.

I used to live on the Leeds Bradford Road, near Bramley / Rodley

leeds_warrior_old

Best rivalary in Super League but maybe im being bias saying that haha.

leeds_warrior_old

Make the most of it, the Saints be eating Rhyno for dinner come grand final day :rockon:

Alot have been saying for a while Saints are on a decline now, I don't really agree I still think they'll be top 2 next year. As for the Grand Final don't be shocked if teams outside the top 2 make it this year.

kane_old

It was also good to see the staceys old club get up for a win at st helens. Apparently they have never won at knowsley road before. Also can someone tell me whether their finals system is the same that we use in Australia now that they have a top 8 or is it the way we used to have it 10 years ago.

leeds_warrior_old

It was also good to see the staceys old club get up for a win at st helens. Apparently they have never won at knowsley road before. Also can someone tell me whether their finals system is the same that we use in Australia now that they have a top 8 or is it the way we used to have it 10 years ago.

I'll let you know later because theres still 3 games to be played so i'll be posting the play off fixtures up and how it works. It will be different this year to previous years.