General Leeds claim Grand Final hat-trick

leeds_warrior_old

Lee Smith scored two tries on his final appearance for Leeds as the Rhinos won a captivating and engrossing match to complete a hat-trick of Grand Final victories over St Helens.

Leeds led 11-10 when Smith scored the decisive try in the 72nd minute of a match that was short on clean breaks but rich in entertainment.

The result was harsh on St Helens - and ensured there was no fairytale farewell for Sean Long and Lee Gilmore in their final appearances for the club.

But the golden era for Leeds continues as they celebrate an unprecedented run of success in Super League, while coach Brian McClennan can now boast back-to-back Grand Final victories in his two years at the club.

Saints teenager Kyle Eastmond, who bagged all his side's points, opened the scoring with a try that he converted and then extended the advantage with a penalty.

Scores from Matt Diskin and Smith ensured the scores were level at the break before Kevin Sinfield edged Leeds ahead with a drop-goal minutes after the restart.

The match seesawed one way and the other before Smith's try settled the match.

But it was a controversial call, the player appearing to come from an offside position as he latched on to Danny McGuire's kick to score.

Man-of-the-match Sinfield converted to put Leeds 17-10 in front before a late drop-goal from Rob Burrow settled matters.

Leeds had been marginal favourites going into the match but Saints suggested they were capable of pulling off a victory when the gifted Eastmond, playing in the centres, opened the scoring after 13 minutes when he collected a Jon Wilkin kick that took a slight deflection off Sinfield.

The 19-year-old snatched the ball from the grasp of Scott Donald and ran unopposed to the line before cutting inside and crossing under the sticks.

After the video referee had signalled he was happy with the score, Eastmond added the straightforward conversion.

Saints appeared to have the match under control at that stage, with the half-back combination of Burrow and McGuire largely peripheral figures for Leeds.

Mick Potter's men made consistent yards down the middle before turning the Rhinos with their probing kicking game.

However, a precise cross-field kick from Burrow after 20 minutes almost resulted in a score for Leeds, Francis Meli managing to thwart the danger by gathering the ball at the second attempt.

With the Rhinos finally starting to enjoy some field position, Jamie Jones-Buchanan almost burst through but the second rower was held up just short of the line.

After Eastmond extended the lead with a penalty, an opportunistic run from dummy half by Leeds hooker Diskin saw him bundle for a try over despite the presence of several opposition players.

Leeds then scored a second try when Meli - a player the Rhinos targeted throughout - failed to flick a McGuire grubber kick into touch.

It was a poor attempt and duly punished when Smith touched down the ball as it dribbled towards the deadball line.

With Sinfield failing to convert either of his side's four-pointers, the scores were intriguingly tied at the break.

At the very start of the second half, Saints came up with another error, Ade Gardner's mistake allowing the kick-off to bounce into touch.

Moments later, Sinfield kicked a drop-goal that edged his team in front for the first time.

The momentum seemed to be with the energised Rhinos, but a rare break from Matt Gidley almost resulted in a try for St Helens, Gardner bundled into touch as he closed in on the line.

An even phase of play followed until Eastmond nudged Saints back in front just short of the hour mark with a penalty after Burrow - the smallest player in Super League - was penalised for a high tackle on Long.

The lead switched again when Kieron Cunningham was penalised for interference in front of the Saints posts and Sinfield made no mistake to puts the Rhinos 11-10 in front.

Eastmond then went close in the corner, a wonderful tackle from Sinfield denying him a second try of the night.

But Smith, who now moves to rugby union side Wasps, did make it two when he slid over with eight minutes remaining.

The match threatened to boil over with a couple of late scuffles but Leeds held their cool and closed out the match to seal a famous win.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/8290503.stm

leeds_warrior_old

Oh when the Saints got beat by Leeds
oh when the Saints got beat by Leeds
I wanna be in that number when the Saints got beat by Leeds

Brian McClennan is magic
he wears a magic hat
and when he saw the Super League he said im aving that

Northern_Union

Thanks very ****ing much! How about putting a spoiler alert in the title instead of who won.
Not much point in watching the replay now.

Thanks for that pom, not!

Jesbass_old

Thanks very ****ing much! How about putting a spoiler alert in the title instead of who won.
Not much point in watching the replay now.

Thanks for that pom, not!

Dude, I'm sure it was just an oversight. If it's as engrossing as it claims to be, it might still be worth watching...plus you can tell me who this Phil bloke is and how he helped Leeds to win! :D

Northern_Union

Im not to know it wasn't live over there was I ?

It was live but who wants to get up at 6:30 on a sunday morning?

I'm just saying that next time just spare a thought for those of us on the other side of the world.

And besides.....i wouldn't have been so grumpy if the Saints would have come marching in ;)

kane_old

Correction it was supposed to be live at 6.30. Instead there was just a blank screen on the channel it was supposed to be on and we sky finally managed to get it right the game was over an hour old. I wish that sky would cater for all sports fans and not just the ones that enjoy boring sports like rugby and golf!!!

Jesbass_old

Eh? You've lost me. I didn't notice Phil in that article.....but i only skimmed it.

No Phil mentioned in that article, but I've heard both Leeds fans and St Helens fans are arguing that he won the game for Leeds. Is Phil Cooley a video ref in the UK, perhaps?

Spence_old

Well there was a dodgy decision for Lee Smiths last try, so that could well be right. I haven't watched the whole game though, so I can't say definitively.

2big2strong_old

Yeah thanks for the spoiler alert.

I was actually going to make an effort to watch this game, it's not on in Australia for another couple hours.

playdaball_old

If I don't want to know a sporting result:

I don't turn on the computer
I don't turn on the radio
I don't read the newspaper
I don't take any phone calls, texts or emails via phone

Don't blame Leeds Warrior lads!!

Great win for Leeds too. Good on Bluey.

Northern_Union

Bull**** don't blame Leeds Warrior. How hard is it to put spoiler alert in th ethread title?
Not that hard.

2big2strong_old

Yeah, fair enough if it's a local game PDB, but there's no way I'd go to that much trouble for an overseas game that I'd expect to get little coverage of.

This forum is safe 99% of the time because most people put *Spoiler alert* in the thread title and I stay away from it.

Jesbass_old

Lol, chill pill, guys! I would have thought that common sense would dictate not to go onto a league forum if you don't want to know a league match result. Heck, I even avoided coming here this morning in case the All Whites result had been posted!

Spence_old

Lol, chill pill, guys! I would have thought that common sense would dictate not to go onto a league forum if you don't want to know a league match result. Heck, I even avoided coming here this morning in case the All Whites result had been posted!

That must have been hard ;).

warriors4life_old

Lol, the only safe sex is no sex, Spence! :caked:

Haha, got that exact same quote in a medical textbook regarding contraceptives/STDs.

Yeah, just thought I'd throw that out there...

Jesbass_old

Haha, got that exact same quote in a medical textbook regarding contraceptives/STDs.

Yeah, just thought I'd throw that out there...

That wouldn't be so bad if you were a medical student...but you're just a perve! :sorry: