General League Vs Union in NZL

I found the figures;
  • The NZRFU gets apx NZ$30/year for the tv rights to all test matches, Super XV and ITM cup matches
  • The NRL gets apx NZ$220m/year for the tv rights to all test matches, State of Origin and NRL matches
The NZRFU basically has five clubs to run so has about $6m/year per club. The NRL has 16 clubs to run so has about NZ$14m/year per club. The figures do vary as the deals are in USD and AUD respectively.
Do the NRL have anything to do with test matches? Isn't the NRL a separate entity to the ARL, like a separate business?

I think the key there is that it is a big Australian competition. No NZ sport can compete with the figures.

Off topic, look at the guy on the right in this picture. Richard Kahui on the left is SBWs size
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11190237

Last edited:
Do the NRL have anything to do with test matches? Isn't the NRL a separate entity to the ARL, like a separate business?

I think the key there is that it is a big Australian competition. No NZ sport can compete with the figures.

Off topic, look at the guy on the right in this picture. Richard Kahui on the left is SBWs size
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11190237

You're right - I miss typed that (cut and paste!) - the test matches are not covered by the NRL deal.

Regardless, the NRL have over twice as much money to spend on each of its clubs - including the Warriors - that the NZRFU has to spend on its five Super 15 franchises.

You're right - I miss typed that (cut and paste!) - the test matches are not covered by the NRL deal.

Regardless, the NRL have over twice as much money to spend on each of its clubs - including the Warriors - that the NZRFU has to spend on its five Super 15 franchises.
Thats the advantage of a larger country, more people, more viewers, more companies, more money

Indeed, although the total Sanzar deal for all of the tests as well as the whole Super 15 is less than half the value of the NRL deal.
yeah but the difference is that the corporations in a local comp get their product directly to their customer base. NZ is poor compared to Aus and SA, and Ausy rugby dont have much sway over there so aren't a money spinner. Effectively SA is the main contributor and they tend to struggle on the road which must make it a hard sell. For local businesses the product is more diluted aswell because 66% of the competition does not involve their customers

I take it the bloke who wrote that piece is a rugby league fella cause that's his own theory and war of words. What's wrong with Spain vs Kenya in union 7's up against Melbourne Storm vs Souths in league 9's? I have no problem watching say's Auckland Blues vs Queensland Reds in rugby 7's to Samoa vs Lebanon in Rugby league 9's if it was to happen.

A lot of average New Zelanders wonder how little league can pull off an event; especially cause rugby is such a huge sport. They don't realise how big an organisation the NRL actually is. The way the press is here you'd think that Union is the biggest sport going around and the AFL and NRL are these tiny little organisations you hear about occasionally.

The NRL probably get more in broadcasting rights then the 3 SANZAR nations combined. Sure the previous NRL deal after the Super League War was crap; that was known as soon as the AFL signed their deal straight after it. It was reported here like league is dying cause union is so huge and the NRL can't get money from broadcasters. During that time SANZAR went to sign another deal and got told we will not give you the same money for the same competition; that was one of the driving factors for the conference system. The NRL sign a billion dollar deal which shocks a lot of people here and now Sanzar say that broadcast rights are have gone up; probably due to the little league guys getting a billion dollar deal.

We hear how much money there is in union cause the NZRU has 50 mil in cash reserves not that the NRL has gone from having zero to 40 mil in one year and is aiming to have 200 mil within the next 5 years.

I know the thread topic is "in NZ" but it has been dragged out a bit wider then that. Reading the New Zealand media you wouldn't think there are these two huge organisations on the other side of the Tasman; the NZRU make a few snide remarks that the NRL clubs steal their juniors. They should be lucky that's all they are doing.
The only problem with that is that NRL and AFL are an Australian competition and the NZRU comes from our lands. If you compare apples with apples then compare the NZRU to the NZRL and union and league in NZ. Its like comparing the NRL to NFL and NBA and I know that's unfair consider the population different in numbers of America to Australia.

The only problem with that is that NRL and AFL are an Australian competition and the NZRU comes from our lands. If you compare apples with apples then compare the NZRU to the NZRL and union and league in NZ. Its like comparing the NRL to NFL and NBA and I know that's unfair consider the population different in numbers of America to Australia.
Like I said the NRL broadcasting deal is bigger then the 3 SANZAR nations combined.

We have articles here in NZ during the rugby season taking digs at league like rugby here is a bigger business then league in Australia. When SBW signed with the Roosters it was reported that he should have signed with the NZRU cause they have a new deal with AIG and were cashed up. This was after the ARLC signed a $1.2 billion deal as well as signed up deals with Telstra and Holden for naming rights of the NRL and under 20's and sponsorship that would be equal to that deal or larger.

It was reported last year that the NZRU is a $100 million a year business and that included at the time fully funding the Super Rugby franchises. The NRL does not fully fund the NRL clubs they pay them grants which now cover the salary cap and maybe a bit more. The average NRL club needs 20-30 million dollars a year in funding.

The NRL/ARLC is a $440 million dollar a year business with a $1.2 billion dollar TV deal. They need to find another billion dollars in the next 5 years through sponsorship, digital rights etc for projects, future funding. SANZAR would love to have those headaches.

We keep hearing that rugby how many countries play rugby and how little league is. Like the competitions you mentioned in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB you don't need to be in a lot of countries if you have the population. The average rugby watching New Zealander was shocked when the NRL got a billion dollars cause they have been told that league has no money and big global rugby is now professional and well funded including SANZAR and the NZRU.

Like I said the NRL broadcasting deal is bigger then the 3 SANZAR nations combined.

We have articles here in NZ during the rugby season taking digs at league like rugby here is a bigger business then league in Australia. When SBW signed with the Roosters it was reported that he should have signed with the NZRU cause they have a new deal with AIG and were cashed up. This was after the ARLC signed a $1.2 billion deal as well as signed up deals with Telstra and Holden for naming rights of the NRL and under 20's and sponsorship that would be equal to that deal or larger.

It was reported last year that the NZRU is a $100 million a year business and that included at the time fully funding the Super Rugby franchises. The NRL does not fully fund the NRL clubs they pay them grants which now cover the salary cap and maybe a bit more. The average NRL club needs 20-30 million dollars a year in funding.

The NRL/ARLC is a $440 million dollar a year business with a $1.2 billion dollar TV deal. They need to find another billion dollars in the next 5 years through sponsorship, digital rights etc for projects, future funding. SANZAR would love to have those headaches.

We keep hearing that rugby how many countries play rugby and how little league is. Like the competitions you mentioned in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB you don't need to be in a lot of countries if you have the population. The average rugby watching New Zealander was shocked when the NRL got a billion dollars cause they have been told that league has no money and big global rugby is now professional and well funded including SANZAR and the NZRU.
I don't think the average NZer is shocked. Im sure most people realise Australia is a much richer and bigger nation than NZ and league holds a higher position than rugby over there.

I don't recall reading any of these articles you refer to about SBW getting more from the NZRU because they are signed with AIG. You got any links?

I don't think the average NZer is shocked. Im sure most people realise Australia is a much richer and bigger nation than NZ and league holds a higher position than rugby over there.

I don't recall reading any of these articles you refer to about SBW getting more from the NZRU because they are signed with AIG. You got any links?

I don't think too many kiwis were aware that the NRL deal is worth twice what the total SANZAR deal is, though - making rugby league in Australian and NZ worth double what rugby union is worth in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Last edited:
Reactions: wallacenz
I found the figures;
  • The NZRFU gets apx NZ$30/year for the tv rights to all test matches, Super XV and ITM cup matches
  • The NRL gets apx NZ$220m/year for the tv rights to all test matches, State of Origin and NRL matches
The NZRFU basically has five clubs to run so has about $6m/year per club. The NRL has 16 clubs to run so has about NZ$14m/year per club. The figures do vary as the deals are in USD and AUD respectively.

To put this into perspective, English rugby has just lifted their salary cap to approximately NZ$10m per club per season - the NRL can compete with this but the NZRFU, ARU and South African rugby cannot.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Can we expect to see NRL clubs start pillaging the top rugby talents like they did in the 90's, seeing as they apparently have the money for it?

I don't think too many kiwis were aware that the NRL deal is worth twice what the total SANZAR deal is, though - making rugby league in Australian and NZ worth double what rugby union is worth in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.
I have to admit I had no idea what the SANZAR deal was but I knew it has issues. Its been reported that SA has to be in the comp because they are the money. As someone who follows rugby, that 3 or4 team international comp is too limited and becomes too repetitive. The super rugby is too convoluted and the time difference with SA makes their matches irrelevant. I think they would benefit from creating an NRL style competition in the long term, with just NZ and Aus provincial teams and limiting the test matches but that's probably never going to happen, it would be too much hard work for the administration

There are way too many rugby competitions atm which dilutes the product. I think the NRL have got it right.
They could dispense with the NPC and Super competition, make 1 competition for Ausy and NZ teams and put internationals against different opposition each year at the end of the year

Last edited:
Indeed, although the total Sanzar deal for all of the tests as well as the whole Super 15 is less than half the value of the NRL deal.
The same can be said of the AFL billion dollar deal but then again why should us Kiwis care about that deal as well? The current French top 14 broadcasting rugby deal is bigger than South Africa, New Zealand and Australia SANZAR deal but many Kiwis also don't know about that as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1390472908][/DOUBLEPOST]So true, they could go the way of the Heineken cup and make Super rugby a Southern Hemisphere playoff for the top SA, NZ and Australia club/provinces/state sides but in the end I can see Australia and NZ going it alone and SA heading to Europe or do its own thing. ITM Cup, Currie Cup and other test matches outside of the rugby championships aren't included in the SANZAR tv deal.

Can we expect to see NRL clubs start pillaging the top rugby talents like they did in the 90's, seeing as they apparently have the money for it?
I don't think so because the top five NRL players in each club salaries will increase and the rest will also want a bigger slice of the pie as well. In 1990 there weren't any professional clubs in France and Japan paying over NZ$500,000 wages or more.

I have not once found or read any articles in NZ that compares the NZRU tv rights to the NRL new 1 billion dollar tv deal. The SBW piece is so true because the NZRU can used any cash from its sponsorship or from other means to pay for SBW wages where as in the NRL this isn't allowed so yeah that article is true and its got nothing to do with who's rich but what's available to each team who were after SBW signatures which were the Roosters and NZRU. The NZRU had a bigger deal due to no restrictions while the Roosters had restrictions due to the salary cap.

The same can be said of the AFL billion dollar deal but then again why should us Kiwis care about that deal as well? The current French top 14 broadcasting rugby deal is bigger than South Africa, New Zealand and Australia SANZAR deal but many Kiwis also don't know about that as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1390472908][/DOUBLEPOST]So true, they could go the way of the Heineken cup and make Super rugby a Southern Hemisphere playoff for the top SA, NZ and Australia club/provinces/state sides but in the end I can see Australia and NZ going it alone and SA heading to Europe or do its own thing. ITM Cup, Currie Cup and other test matches outside of the rugby championships aren't included in the SANZAR tv deal.

I am not sure what your point is, as usual, but the SANZAR deal does cover the domestic competitions below the Super XV.