General League and Union double header at Leeds today

Viking_old

Thought this was interesting, I don't know that a union and league double header has ever been done at a full professional level. In spite of all the bickering between codes, Leeds and the London Harlequins seem to make it work.

Leeds Carnagie vs Glouchester then Leeds Rhinos vs Wakefield Wildcats.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/news/15634.php

Spence_old

Has ESL started up again already?

What field markings do they use?

Northern_Union

1995 Wigan v Bath at league. One week later Bath v Wigan at union. Thats first union league pro double header i know of.
For the record Wigan won the league leg 86 - 4. Bath won the union leg 44 - 19.

Kabba_old

1995 Wigan v Bath at league. One week later Bath v Wigan at union. Thats first union league pro double header i know of.

By the looks of this, it is just a game of Union then a game of League, not a cross code clash like in '95.

Viking_old

Has ESL started up again already?

What field markings do they use?

ESL doesn't kick off until next month.

They were supposed to be separate games, the Rhinos vs Wildcats is a charity game played on boxing day normally but the weather was so bad that it had to be postponed until yesterday. The ground was to be thawed out for the union match (which is a premiership fixture) and the ground staff expected that it could freeze to a worse level after the match so Leeds decided to have the league match played on the same day as it could be the last playing window they would get for a while if the bad weather lasts.

I think field markings were going to be the trickiest part besides getting fans to turn up in sub zero temperature.

Rhinos won the match:
https://www.therhinos.co.uk/rugby/15652.php

Good to see Motu Tony is back in top league for Wakefield.

Leeds Carnagie also won their match against Glouchester 15-13 which is their only win in their domestic premiership comp. Henry Fa'afili is playing for them too so including Motu, Ali and Brent Webb, that's 4 ex-Warriors playing yesterday!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jr Warlord_old

I dont think the English club rugby team were professionals then. The St Helens vs Sale Sharks would have been the first professional match played by all professional players.

HD_old

I saw this on the Aviva Premiership highlights show. Bit of a shock, turned it on and the host was standing infront of aload of girls holding Leeds Rhinos flags. They gave it a bit of a mention and showed the Rhinos running out, but that's as far as it goes.

They did play up the double header a bit, which I thought was good of them. ITV don't have rights to show League though so they didn't show the Rhinos highlights. Although I got the feeling they wanted to