General Lance's disallowed try

Spence_old

The rule is: The ball can separate from the hand but contact must be regained BEFORE the ball hits the ground. Therefore simultaneous contact means no try. In Lance's case, the video ref ruled it was simultaneous and I would agree. Lance gave himself up after the "try" was scored.

Kav

Simultaneous this season now means a try. last season, no try.

Argh. I don't know who to believe...

Northern_Union

Well.....i think i'm right on this one, however, kav knows his rugby league as much as anyone so perhapes we need to find the rule book.

Spence, until other wise informed, go with Kav while try and find the rule on it.

BringBackRovelli_old

What about the situation when a defender and an attacker go for the loose ball in the in-goal and both ground it simultaneously? Is that a try or goal-line drop out?

David Bragg_old

Simultaneous grounding is a try.

On the topic however the rule needs to be tidied up.
The NRL are giving tries which to me are actually knock ons.
The rule book does say
"The referee should not disallow a try because a player who correctly grounds the ball fails to retain it"
However this dodgy rule is allowing tries to be scored where the ball is not grounded.
I think Lance should have been awarded his try simply because others like his have been given.
I am a referee and all those suspect tries that have been given eg.Winterstein,Lulia,Cuthberson etc no way would I award them.