General Konrad Hurrell Nrl's Most Damaging Centre

Fazz

Fazz

Exactly! Haha. He's doing well considering he's only been here for a few years. Seem like a genuinely nice and humble guy too. Hope he goes on to have a very good career with the Warriors.

Reactions: 1 user
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

His english seems to be improving quickly, and no matter how fluent he is, he still speaks two languages...thats one more than i can speak.

That's something that always cracked me up about Shane Cameron hassling Tua over the 'O for Awesome' thing.

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Hurrell re-signed until end 2015. Haha we've achieved a 'huge coup'...really?

Link

The Vodafone Warriors have achieved a huge coup by securing centre Konrad Hurrell, one of the NRL’s hottest properties, until the end of the 2015 NRL season.
The 20-year-old Tongan, halfway through only his second season in rugby league, has been one of the NRL’s top rookies, his blitzing form netting 12 tries in just 12 appearances including 11 in his last seven games.
It follows a dazzling introduction to rugby league from schoolboy rugby union last season when he helped the Vodafone Junior Warriors to a second straight NYC premiership. Scoring two tries in the grand final, he had a total tally of 22 in 21 games.
While disappointed a foot injury kept him out of Friday night’s 19th-round battle with the Brisbane Broncos, the ex-Auckland Grammar School First XV star is ecstatic about his long-term future with the Vodafone Warriors and in rugby league generally.
“I’m really happy and stoked I’m going to be with the Vodafone Warriors and with the boys for so long,” said Hurrell.
“I love playing rugby league and now I just want to play the best footy I can and hopefully I’ll be able to stay here even longer.
“My good friend Omar (Slaimankhel) was the one who got me here. He told me he loved the environment, the players and the game and he said I would too. It was hard to make the decision at first but I’m glad I made the switch. I get the ball so much more than I did in union and the game is more physical and tougher I think.”
Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Dean Bell said the success the club had witnessed with Hurrell and Slaimankhel was another signal to young rugby union players about the opportunities available in rugby league.
“As a club we’ve shown rugby union players that there’s so much they can achieve by coming to the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.
“We’ve had success in identifying Konrad and Omar at school level and have seen them take to rugby league so well. We’ve got others like them on our books who are developing well and we know there are more out there who could also make it.”
With Hurrell off contract at the end of next season, the Vodafone Warriors were keen to secure him on a long-term basis as soon as possible.
“He’s a good boy is Konnie. He’s been going really well for us from the start of the season and we all know there’s even better to come,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan.
“We knew he had real talent but it was during the preseason that we really saw he was something extra special.
“The way these young players have come through our system here at the Vodafone Warriors is great and young Konnie has shown such a willingness to work on his game and do all he can to improve every week.”
With 12 tries, Hurrell is third on the NRL’s try-scoring chart after 18 rounds and he’s in the top 10 for most line breaks with 11 (along with team-mate Shaun Johnson) and also for most tackle breaks (62).
Among Vodafone Warriors players he ranks second for most average metres a game with 123, narrowly behind Ben Matulino (125) and ahead of third-placed Manu Vatuvei (111).
Hurrell said there were so many people he had to thank for helping him in his transition to rugby league.
“Ricky Henry (development coach) was great when I first came here and then Papa (John Ackland) in the juniors and now Bluey (McClennan) and Sponge (Tony Iro) in the NRL team,” he said.
“All the players have helped me, everyone, like Feleti Mateo, Jerome Ropati, James Maloney, Simon Mannering and most of all big Manu. I look up to him all the time. He’s a really big help for me.”
Hurrell also reiterated his desire to represent New Zealand.
“My dream used to be about trying to play for the All Blacks but not now. All I want to do is to play for the Kiwis if I get the opportunity,” he said.
Hurrell’s signing follows confirmation on Friday that prop Jacob Lillyman will be with the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2014 season and the announcement two weeks ago that front rower Ben Matulino and rookie centre Ben Henry had been secured until 2015.

KONRAD HURRELL
Date of Birth: August 05, 1991
Birthplace: Tofoa, Tonga
Junior Club: Vodafone Junior Warriors (NYC)
Position: Centre
Height: 183cm
Weight: 101kg
Other Teams: Auckland Grammar School (rugby union)
Rep Honours: Nil
NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Manly, Eden Park, March 04, 2012 (Round 1)
Club Number: 172
NRL Career: 12 appearances, 2012
NRL Points: 48 (12 tries)
NYC Debut: Vodafone Junior Warriors v Sydney Roosters, Mount Smart Stadium, April 09, 2011 (Round 5)
NYC Career: 21 appearances, 2011
NYC Points: 88 (22 tries)
Secondary School: Auckland Grammar School (Auckland)

fanrrior

fanrrior

Ricky Henry (development coach) was great when I first came here and then Papa (John Ackland) in the juniors and now Bluey (McClennan) and Sponge (Tony Iro) in the NRL team,” he said.
We'll have to remember these for the future, lol

Sup42

Sup42

Keeping Hurrell is a huge Coup.

We assume he will stay at the Warriors.

Well imagine your manager reminding you that you could make a zillion dollars at any number of clubs in the NRL and win a premiership at the Two news clubs or the dogs or under Des Hassler who has no salary cap.

surfin

surfin

Well imagine your manager reminding you that you could make a zillion dollars at any number of clubs in the NRL and win a premiership at the Two news clubs or the dogs or under Des Hassler who has no salary cap.
Thats my thought as well, he would have had virtually ever club making an approach at the very least.

janfin

janfin

Better here than there Great news Nice to wake up to news like that on a somewhat wet cold day :)

Miket12

Miket12

I was at a Juniors Development Squad trial at the end of 2010, before he'd signed, and there was quite a buzz around him then - he was a very rough diamond (especially since it was his first ever competive game of league) but his potential was huge. So pleased he's re-signed!!!

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
BRILLIANT!!! He's got huge talent and more importantly has a huge heart that doesnt quit easy. Great news.

Seriously are you on crack??? Ropati is absolute garbage and to say its no coincedence that Manu isn't getting space is because Ropati isn't there is ridiculous. Ropati in his games at centre this season was terrible on attack and terrible on defence and a total liability. It was a blessing he got injured so Bluey had no choice but to select Hurrell. It is freaking retarded that Konrad wasn't given a centre spot every game he was fit (and Inu too)while Benry and Ropati continued to produce lackluster game after lackluster game. For you to even question who the centre combination will be next season and putting Ropati's name in the mix is laughable. It will be Hurrell and Neilsen long term for us........
Been a fan and player for more years than youve probably been alive boy. You dont know what your talking about. Be analytical about the game. Look back at the stats when Manu was a scoring machine and see who played inside him. Dont just look at it from a game by game basis or even a season by season basis. Look at he big picture. Suppose you think Jarryd Hayne is a useless git!

Sebastian

Sebastian

Massive acheivement. Hurrell would've had every club at his beckon. To be fair to us, it's a super star team on the rise, so it's not like he's staying at the Eels for the good of the club. If Bluey is worth his salt, we'll be very, very competitive for years to come.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Been a fan and player for more years than youve probably been alive boy. You dont know what your talking about. Be analytical about the game. Look back at the stats when Manu was a scoring machine and see who played inside him. Dont just look at it from a game by game basis or even a season by season basis. Look at he big picture. Suppose you think Jarryd Hayne is a useless git!

Whatever bro, Ropati had like a few solid seasons, I've been watching the Warriors since 95 don't speak to me like a child. Ropati started his career at 6 and was GARBAGE there too, his handling errors were horrific. Sure his distribution to his winger was great and when he was actually in his athletic prime he was decent but my post was in reference to RIGHT NOW and even Ropati himself is now seriously considering retirement because he knows his body is no longer up to it. I will applaud him for the "effort" he gave when he played fullback this season but he still made crucial errors there and was caught out of position defensively on a number of occasions.

I had been calling for the Hurrell to play the entire time this season when he was in the Vulcans and Ropati was putting on average displays each time he played centre. So glad that is in the past now and Hurrell is there and Ropati is not. Sad thing is if Locke came back from injury and Ropati was still healthy he would have slot strait back in at centre and Hurrell would still be playing in the Vulcans lol......

lol @ me thinking Jarryd Hayne is a useless git, why on earth would you say something like that?? I was one of the few people saying Petero should be in Origin this year when people were saying people he shouldnt be picked on reputation but I firmly believed he still had something to give. Ropati is strait up done and that is the end of the story unfortunately. Dont let your man crush get in the way of reality dude.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Whatever bro, Ropati had like a few solid seasons, I've been watching the Warriors since 95 don't speak to me like a child. Ropati started his career at 6 and was GARBAGE there too, his handling errors were horrific. Sure his distribution to his winger was great and when he was actually in his athletic prime he was decent but my post was in reference to RIGHT NOW and even Ropati himself is now seriously considering retirement because he knows his body is no longer up to it. I will applaud him for the "effort" he gave when he played fullback this season but he still made crucial errors there and was caught out of position defensively on a number of occasions.

I had been calling for the Hurrell to play the entire time this season when he was in the Vulcans and Ropati was putting on average displays each time he played centre. So glad that is in the past now and Hurrell is there and Ropati is not. Sad thing is if Locke came back from injury and Ropati was still healthy he would have slot strait back in at centre and Hurrell would still be playing in the Vulcans lol......

lol @ me thinking Jarryd Hayne is a useless git, why on earth would you say something like that?? I was one of the few people saying Petero should be in Origin this year when people were saying people he shouldnt be picked on reputation but I firmly believed he still had something to give. Ropati is strait up done and that is the end of the story unfortunately. Dont let your man crush get in the way of reality dude.
Peace offering. Didnt mean to get personal. Your probably right. He has really had such bad luck with his injuries. Think he averages something like 10 -12 games a season over ten odd years. Poor fella. I rate him and wish him all the best. Biggest difference btween him and Hurrell is Konrad backs himself to score as opposed to a try assist. Anyway, peace dude.

Hitman82

Hitman82

Ropati in his prime was a fantastic centre. His prime just didn't last long enough, due to injuries. He's a great clubman and no doubt will find some role with the Warriors post-retirement.

olek_skillgannon

olek_skillgannon

Troll
like what gus said about him..''this kids an absolute juggernaut''.....but you watch the hurricane when he plays,he's always trying to position himself on the outside of his marker,and when he takes a hit up yeah he just smashes into people,but when he gets the ball out wide he always tries to go out and away from his marker,good football brain, uses his mind and his power....warriors can win the premiership this year with him...

Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

i watched the first try he scored against the titans today and just watched his pace, burning idris isnt too hard a challenge but his constant speed after 50-60m amazes me, very deceptive and can keep his full pace for a very long time hence the reason hes burnt so many fullbacks, plus he can give that last fend or bump while keeping that speed before he scores. amzing talent

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Peace offering. Didnt mean to get personal. Your probably right. He has really had such bad luck with his injuries. Think he averages something like 10 -12 games a season over ten odd years. Poor fella. I rate him and wish him all the best. Biggest difference btween him and Hurrell is Konrad backs himself to score as opposed to a try assist. Anyway, peace dude.

Yeah bro he was very unlucky but those injuries have really caught up, in his prime he was a threat running the ball too but just not to Hurrell's extent, but then again not many do.......cheers dude.