gregkeo

I'm a Broncos supporter and want to thank Kodi for his contribution to the team in recent years. His ability to confuse the defence, find holes that aren't apparent and to back up the ball-carrier has provided entertaining football and contributed to many winning games for the team. I wish him every success with the Warriors and a continuation of his exciting football style. I'm sure that Warriors fans will not be disappointed by his signing.
...... pleasing to see the Warriors return to winning form in Brisbane yesterday.

• Love
Reactions: 43 users
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

He seemed that play his role well. He's threatening on an edge, as seen when the Dragons would hold off on him, slide across and that gave him the room to push up and pass the ball at the line.

I can see him getting tries from those plays as no doubt future teams will try and push up to cut off that outside ball.

Reactions: 4 users
JBmurc

JBmurc

A great first game from Kodi more so for his passing positioning game just brilliant ....Stacy Jones 2.0???

Game of two halves ... if we can play more so like the second then we might well win more than we lose

Reactions: 2 users

warriors4eva

pretty quiet game from Kodi but i did hear he was given the freedom to roam from Green in his first game

looking forward to watching them both in weeks to come !

Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

Amazing the difference when you have two experienced halves. It took forty minutes to get that backline singing.

The problems the players around NK not him, if they pull finger he can just do the passing and keeping that matrix going at high speed like we saw.

Compare that to our admirable noobs at half, night and day how well structured and classy those moves were.

Reactions: 6 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Amazing the difference when you have two experienced halves. It took forty minutes to get that backline singing.

The problems the players around NK not him, if they pull finger he can just do the passing and keeping that matrix going at high speed like we saw.

Compare that to our admirable noobs at half, night and day how well structured and classy those moves were.
The real problem is having only 4 trainings together. Give it time. They'll get it...

bruce

bruce

Contributor
He seemed that play his role well. He's threatening on an edge, as seen when the Dragons would hold off on him, slide across and that gave him the room to push up and pass the ball at the line.
Poetry in motion
Funnny how when those guys were on the other side with Shaun Johnson Fusitua became the NRL top try scorer. I see a big season ahead for Big Ken although I am sure Fusitua will get his share as well.

FuNQie

FuNQie

Apparently Kearney said at the presser (after the win vs the Panthers) that Kodi’s “a cocky little bugger”. Who knows what he’s referring to, but - and I know this is speculation - if Kodi’s making suggestions and sticking to them that aren’t what Kearney or whoever had come up with, and this is happening and we get the wins and a new-found confidence in the team, then I’m all for it.

Kodi’s shown himself to be a great, great signing. Just what we needed, and not before time.

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Why are some people worried about what we paid for him? If he does a good job I personally wouldn’t care. It’s not like we are short of cap

Reactions: 7 users

NZDoug

Apparently Kearney said at the presser (after the win vs the Panthers) that Kodi’s “a cocky little bugger”. Who knows what he’s referring to, but - and I know this is speculation - if Kodi’s making suggestions and sticking to them that aren’t what Kearney or whoever had come up with, and this is happening and we get the wins and a new-found confidence in the team, then I’m all for it.

Kodi’s shown himself to be a great, great signing. Just what we needed, and not before time.
Liking Mook`s challenge
" he isn't no Stacy Jones"
heh heh heh.....

• Wow
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

SACK BROWN.
Contributor
Kodi will be looking for a big game this weekend, he'll be lined up against the bloke they thought was better than him in Dearden on that right edge. Hopefully he doesn't overplay his hand, and gives the young fella a lesson.

Reactions: 10 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler

Definitely speculating. Kearney sounds pleased with KN.

Seems he is also fitting in well with the team. Wheres AusWarriorsFan???

Revived New Zealand Warriors finally have platform to launch in 2019 NRL season
20 May, 2019 5:00am

After 10 rounds of the NRL season, the Warriors finally have a platform to launch.

They are still outsiders to make the top eight, but if they maintain the positive aspects of the last two performances, and continue to incrementally improve, they could at least be in the finals equation later in the year.

That looked unlikely a fortnight ago, when a flat performance at home to the Knights consigned them to their fourth consecutive loss.

But they've turned things around, built on improved defensive intensity and organisation.

They kept their line intact for the last hour of the game against the Dragons, while the Panthers didn't score a point until the 69th minute on Friday night.

The Warriors scrambled as a team, allied with some special efforts. A forceful Jazz Tevaga hit dislodged the ball as Moses Leota was about to dive over, while Bunty Afoa stopped a charging Viliame Kikau dead in his tracks a metre out.

Patrick Herbert has strengthened the right edge immeasurably, and after just four games, has locked up one centre spot for the foreseeable future.

Isaiah Papali'I, who exhibited a new 'Mr T' style Mohawk haircut on Friday (courtesy of room mate Tevaga) has also made his mark over the last fortnight, while props Leeson Ah Mau and Agnatius Paasi have been outstanding.

Captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was superb again on Friday, with strong runs from the back and some timely interventions on attack, as he continues to develop his playmaking role.

Kodi Nikorima was more involved than last week, and is thriving with his roving commission. He scored an important individual try, and cut the Panthers open with another dummy half burst.

"I was pleased for Kodi," said coach Stephen Kearney. "A couple of touches showed what he can do, really trouble a defensive line. I thought he could have been even better tonight. It showed his capability, but he could have done more. Between him, 'Greenie' and Roger, they could have managed some periods a bit better."

Nikorima's integration has been swift, but Kearney isn't surprised.

"He fits into the group pretty well, he knows a number of the lads through the Kiwis team and he's cocky little [guy]…he makes himself feel comfortable," said Kearney. "He doesn't sit back and shy away from it. He's got that sort of personality where he jumps in and gets on the front foot."

Friday's performance was particularly impressive given the six day turnaround and consecutive games across the Tasman.

But it was still patchy, with four consecutive sets blighted by errors leading into halftime, a spell that could have proved disastrous against superior teams to the bumbling Panthers.

"We are getting better," said Blake Green. "But there is a lot of clunky stuff in there too."

The Warriors will need to improve significantly next Saturday against the Broncos, who played at a finals level intensity to beat the Roosters 15-10 on Friday night.

But at least the confidence and belief is back at Mt Smart, and Warriors can take on the next stretch of matches (Broncos, home; Storm, home; Titans, away; Panthers, home) with some optimism, though Kearney is keeping his feet on the ground.

"I'm not going to let them get carried away," said Kearney. "Seven or eight days ago we were in the same position as Penrith (a two win, six loss record). We have to dust ourselves off and prepare again for next week, that's the challenge of the NRL. I might sound boring, but we have to stick at our processes, keep working away."

Reactions: 8 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

KN does what Warriors need, plays direct at the line, once he gets bodies in motion support running inside and outside the team and him will be a lot more dangerous.

On reflection the difference with Shaun Johnson & KN is that directness. With Shaun Johnson his runs were often cross field so he was either running towards or away from support. It is hard to run those support lines with the ball runner crabbing cross field. As they become more used to KN the team will steadily become more threatening.

Reactions: 6 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
On reflection the difference with Shaun Johnson & KN is that directness. With Shaun Johnson his runs were often cross field so he was either running towards or away from support. It is hard to run those support lines with the ball runner crabbing cross field. As they become more used to KN the team will steadily become more threatening.
When Shaun Johnson ran straight it was usually through half a gap and was a devastating line break. As he lost his speed and confidence he started that crab walking across field that didn't scare the opposition but confused his own support. KN is a straight and fast runner that seems to be able to pick his moments to run. That might be the Bennett influence. My money on the Warriors this week.