Internationals Kiwis won't be honoured by NZRL

Skinny_Ravs82

https://www.stuff.co.nz/4777727a1823.html

The world-beating Kiwis could go without honour from their own rugby league bosses.

Despite enjoying the greatest victory in NZ league history the Kiwi heroes are set to miss out on a gong from the NZRL, which has canned its annual awards ceremony.
Sky TV bosses wanted to hold the ceremony next month but the NZRL favoured a February date.
But a Sky source told Sunday News the network won’t have the time or resources to produce a gala event in the New Year.
NZRL general manager Peter Cordtz is disappointed the players look like missing out on an awards night given their world champion status.
And he admitted the options on the table to replace the gala night include the possibility of the coveted Player of the Year award being named in a simple media release.
''One of the difficulties in recent years was our inability to get a good number of Kiwis at the awards dinner,” said Cordtz.
''We’re wrestling with the idea of a pre-season event but we’re mindful or not wanting to push anything we do too far out.''
A possible option could come at next year’s Halberg Awards on February 3 at Auckland’s Vector Arena.
The Kiwis are certainties for a Team of the Year nomination and with most of the team likely to attend, a Sky studio show may be a possibility to distribute the NZRL awards.
"It's something we’ll look at," said Cordtz. "It will be a shame if the punters miss out on something special around the awards.''

Jesbass_old

Yeah, I've had this article open in another window, holding back from posting it because of sheer embarrassment. If only it was surprising. We really do our best to sabotage our success.

Jesbass_old

The disgrace is that the NZRL are relying on Sky to dictate when it can happen. Surely, they could organise it themselves? Maori TV has bent over backwards for rugby league, so I'm sure they'd be happy to broadcast it.

Skinny_Ravs82

Such a pity they can do that. We got something that deserves reward but they can't even acknowledge it..

Jesbass_old

Well, that's not what they're saying. They're saying they want to do it at a different date, which, to be honest, sounds like poor planning to me, but they shouldn't be letting Sky have all the say.

Skinny_Ravs82

It's ridiculos! A tv station or what not is getting the bigger say. Are they daft?!?!?!

LordGnome_old

She hasn't, have you seen the number of posts she accumulated????

How she gets the time is beyond me, what with the studying and the job in Mermaids.......

Jesbass_old

If I want to return serve I shall.

If you do, you'll risk having posts deleted/edited.

We don't appreciate retaliatory abuse, either, but this was not retaliatory at all.

Hopefully this will help to refresh your memory:
Rules And Regulations said:
Personal Attacks: All posters should be treated with respect and also treated equally, regardless of post counts. Respect another posters view, if their view is different to yours make reference solely to the view, not to the poster. For example, you may say "I disagree with your view" and state your reasons, but you may not say "You must be seriously f****d in the head to come up with that, you simpleton". Remember, some posters may not be as strong willed as yourself, so something you post and view as being non-offensive may be deemed to be offensive by another reader. The forums are not to be used as a personal battlefield. If you must, use the private message option provided to you. Any posts in violation of this policy will be moderated accordingly.

Esoj_old

The disgrace is that the NZRL are relying on Sky to dictate when it can happen. Surely, they could organise it themselves? Maori TV has bent over backwards for rugby league, so I'm sure they'd be happy to broadcast it.

not without money to pay for the production. Maori TV maybe an option but unlikely they are a free to air broadcaster and their resources won't even be a quarter of what sky could do. Remember Sky isn't just the show on the night but they have the ability to advertise on basically any sky channel and through things like skywatch which Maori TV can't do. Very few things ever come for free in the television industry they are always some strings attached somewhere.

Jesbass_old

not without money to pay for the production. Maori TV maybe an option but unlikely they are a free to air broadcaster and their resources won't even be a quarter of what sky could do. Remember Sky isn't just the show on the night but they have the ability to advertise on basically any sky channel and through things like skywatch which Maori TV can't do. Very few things ever come for free in the television industry they are always some strings attached somewhere.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a free lunch, but Sky enjoy their monopoly on the pay-TV market, whereas Maori TV can undercut them. Sure, the equipment and exposure is less, but you pay for what you get, so the price would be lower, too.

It's just an idea, though - what the NZRL does with it is anyone's guess.