• upload_2018-10-15_12-31-13.png
    upload_2018-10-15_12-31-13.png
    659.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: drunk_monk

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
BTW when watching league or the V8s i notice that there is prodigious use of overlay technology in every game, or session nowadays. But its all being used on advertising. Wish they would pull finger and start using it in the bunker and replays again.

Overlay tech is what they use to put images on the ground but allows the player or car to appear on top of the line.

WarriorBall

It is tight but I think this would get disallowed

With the peanuts in the bunker forensically solving each frame with a magnifying glass your probably right, I'm positive those guys completely lose sight of the fact it's a game of rugby league their adjudicating on at times.

Reactions: bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
With the peanuts in the bunker forensically solving each frame with a magnifying glass your probably right, I'm positive those guys completely lose sight of the fact it's a game of rugby league their adjudicating on at times.
they have also forgotten that a single blade of grass is enough to create contact, that the benefit of the doubt rule was scrapped because they could see better most of the time and that they only get to over rule the onfield ref when there is no doubt they can be wrong. This was why they now make the ref make a ruling instead of letting the bunker do it.

Both rulings were incorrect, it was obvious the bunker was looking for reasons to over-rule instead of watching what was in front of them. Neither call was 100 percent obvious, both times the refs call on the field should have been upheld.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Surprised no one has pointed out that Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was offside from Manu's kick - it was never a try.

Dumb Bunker though, prefer to make a controversial call then check onside - could have saved them plenty of hassle.

I think there were a few that felt that was the case but either way the try gets disallowed on the offside not the imaginary knock on. Having the try disallowed is not the issue if the call is correct.

Jack Bourke

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2017
Whangarei
Ken had a sound game and is a true international winger, have no doubt. If he wasn't the Kangaroos would have found him out. The only time they scored down his side was when he was exposed by poor defensive reads from inside. If SK had any thoughts about how negative Kata was on Kens game he must have seen it tonight. Kata must be on thin ice unless they work on him overtime over summer.
Big Ken was epic I thought also. I wouldn't be swapping him for any man. I would really like to see him (particularly with that first try attempt) just step back in and bowl his way over the line. He would be unstoppable like Manu Vatuvei. I don't think he needs to dive to the line like Fusitua just use the body weight and roll the defenders.

WarriorBall

it was obvious the bunker was looking for reasons to over-rule instead of watching what was in front of them.

Unfortunately that statement is a truism now in Rugby League at least in this part of the world, the use of the bunker in the UK from what I’ve seen is slightly more relaxed and the game is better for it imo.

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
Watched it for the second time last night. A few (late) thoughts:
- we used the full width, chanced offloads and still completed at 89%. That should win you most games. Impressive.
- Our forwards did their job and played well but I don't agree with the consensus that our forwards dominated. Our back five rescued our forwards in the first 10 minutes of each half (especially the second half, watch that first 10 again) and weight of possession/completions are what got us on top after that. Dummy half service was slow all night. I though Shaun Johnson and Niko did well to get our forwards running angles and some pass interchange between the forwards also helped.
- Tapau was amazing. Offloading at will.
- Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - its all been said. Legend.
- Shaun Johnson was brilliant in attack. Best half on the ground.
- That edge defence is a real worry. It was mostly the right but we got caught on the left once or twice too. Looking closely at the three breaks down our right in the first 10 minutes - On that first try Shaun Johnson rushed in across the face of Proctor who clearly wasn't on the same page and I think he gave Shaun Johnson a spray. Manu and Raps followed Shaun Johnson in. Looked like Proctor and Shaun Johnson not communicating. On the next break a few minutes later Keary and Teddy sweep right and that right edge just doesn't slide and number up, Shaun Johnson gets caught in no man's land. Watching it slow I feel like maybe Proctor didnt want to slide out and expose Smith, who had some big men running decoy lines at him? The third one is a quick PTB from Cordner, only one marker (Shaun Johnson) with Manu running back into the line and massive holes where Shaun Johnson and Manu should be; Cook scoots, Teddy chimes in and Latrell and Holmes hit the hole. With Shaun Johnson and Manu out of position the middles needed to close in behind the ruck.
Generally, I feel like Shaun Johnson was too keen to rush in and Proctor and the inside guys too slow to move out; fault on both sides. Interested to know how better footy heads than me saw that problem.
The good thing is its fixable. Just need to break down the tape. Its always the short side numbering if we continue to lay 3-4 in the tackle and compress those edges will be vunerable off a quick ptb

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 21, 2013
Big Ken was epic I thought also. I wouldn't be swapping him for any man. I would really like to see him (particularly with that first try attempt) just step back in and bowl his way over the line. He would be unstoppable like Manu Vatuvei. I don't think he needs to dive to the line like Fusitua just use the body weight and roll the defenders.

I was thinking the same thing, he tried to finesse his way around Trbojevic when he should have just lower his body and bashed through him. I think it was still a good effort though because Dallin's pass to him wasn't the best (was on his hip). With a better pass he might have had the time to get to the line.

I still have a little doubt on his attacking ability though, it looked like he almost put himself into touch for that try that he did score. Manu always managed to find the tryline even with a few defenders in front on him, guy was a natural try scorer. I don't think Kenny will ever be at that level.

I have to disagree with your first point, in a WC final I would definitely rather have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck on that left wing than Kenny. He's got way more strings to his bow and brings the ball back just as well.

Reactions: matiunz and Sup42

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
Im wondering how those players who played finals footy impacted the boys performance. I follow a soccer channel on youtube that breaksdown hidden stats. That players who played Champions League who later played for their countries improved the chances of that nation winning. Basically the country with the most champions league players won the world cup. I wonder if in a way having a team made up of players who have played finals footy contributes to its success.

I notice we had mostly players who had played in the finals barring maybe Taupau and marsters off the top of my head. Aussie seemed to have alot more like Klemmer the Manly players and mclean.

If so Madge is a genius lol

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Great Win by the Kiwis. A couple of observations from the comfort of my lounge room concerning a couple of Aussie players.

DCE didn't rise to the occasion at all. I can see why he is continually brushed by QLD for Origin.
Ben Hunt cops a lot of flack for his lack of involvement, had the opportunity to stamp his authority on the game. Did Fuck all
Sharon Woods, is this bloke just there for hair and makeup. Just shows you the lack of depth in the Aussie prop department

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Surprised no one has pointed out that Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was offside from Manu's kick - it was never a try.
I thought I heard the bunker call him onside, that was before they checked the knock on which was a knock back. Geez that bunker is a bloody mess.
they have also forgotten that a single blade of grass is enough to create contact,
Exactly, he clearly touched a blade of grass, or to be more precise the bunker could not see that he didn't...end of story.

Reactions: Defence and gREVUS

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I was blown away by how many metres we seemed to be getting up the middle, don't think I've seen a Kiwis team do that to Australia before.
Oh yes we have, it happens whenever we win...honest.
Still buzzing from the win, I think there will be a lot of people who regret not going and will be there for the next home game.
I was thinking of getting a tee shirt printed:
Kiwis 26 Kangaroos 24 2018
I WAS THERE...WTF WERE YOU???

Johnson did everything he gets whinged about for the warriors, playing both sides, challenging the line, and its not just because his forwards were on top, a lot of those runs are after a slow play the ball near the goal line, that’s nothing he couldn’t do here, though he’s not passing off to the same quality players obviously – hopefully next year sees more of that.
Shaun Johnson's game could be summed up by that charge out of the line hard on defence causing DCE (I think) to knock on). He made DCE his bitch the whole game.
Looking closely at the three breaks down our right in the first 10 minutes
Are you including the one just before half time. That was a shocker. It was right in front of me and even before the ball was played there was a massive gap on the blind side. They should and could have covered it, DCE obviously counted the numbers and went for it.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings