Internationals Kiwis vs Kangaroos 2018

ttkk19

ttkk19

I was right there with you until you named foran at 6. Then i realized you lost it years ago and i was just caught in the moment.

when he's healthy he's still a quality half

would play the first receiver role better than anyone we've got. just needs to find his feet again

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor

would play the first receiver role better than anyone we've got. just needs to find his feet again
i dont think he is ever going to find them again to be honest

Reactions: 6 users
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor

The bloke is absolutely coooooked!! His body is ruined, hammys, back, shoulders the whole shabang.

Surprised Dogs arn't trying to medically retire him.

Reactions: 2 users
ttkk19

ttkk19

i dont think he is ever going to find them again to be honest

most likely not, my inclusion was based on the assumption that he'd be fit again

the good thing is that even without him we have a few other options; aside from shuffling around some of our backs like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck or Hiku we could use Hughes, a rookie or possibly raid the Tongan side ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
surfin

surfin

OMG.. . Park in the Bar, shit I'm old!!

Yes,yes you are.

Many of the teams used to go there after the games, back in the days where they'ed get on the piss and try their luck with the locals. The youngins might not realise the players used to cheat on their missus in real life not just send dick photos from their phones.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I thought they out enthused the convicts. They kept them thinking with late movement at the line resulting in great post contact metres.

You can criticise Shaun Johnson over his kicking but generally his option taking was on point.

Every player stood up and took responsibility. They all did us and themselves proud.

Something needs to be done about the Bunker. A couple of kilos of semtex springs to mind. The mistakes come from a total separation from the game in location and attitude.

Am I wrong or was Manu facing his own goal line during that pick up so how can it be a knock on even facing forward. I thought the on field refereeing was OK. Couple of decisions arguable but whatever. I just think the Bunker is a step too far. Its a game for people. Let people officiate.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I think no difference, apart from it affecting their bench rotation. They were a quality side, no doubt about that.

Phil Gould has tweeted that when he saw the Kiwis pregame they were immaculately dressed in their blazers with ties straight and everything buttoned properly. In comparison the Kangaroos looked like they had come from the beach.

In other words they were not prepared for what they got.

Exactly a team is created off the field.

Sup42

Sup42

Reading a thread on the Total Rugby League website (UK based) someone posted a thread about CTH's freak try.

A bit of debate was had to whether the try was legal since a kick is defined as any part of the lower leg / foot excluding the heel (they actually quote the real rules in England from the glossary of terms etc unlike our make shit up reference).

Couple of classic comments, one that made me laugh was:

' He’s called Chanel!!!! Does he have a sister called Chardonnay?"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

Really enjoyed the game live.

The crowd started off not only small but very quiet, especially after the first try right at the start.

But they warmed into it.

Seemed like quite a few people left with ten minutes to go thinking NZ had it sewn up but they took it to the wire!

They stopped serving beer at halftime, anybody know what the story was there?

I was blown away by how many metres we seemed to be getting up the middle, don't think I've seen a Kiwis team do that to Australia before. And then to back it up on defence and keep Cook very quiet was great. They didn't have any old heads in their team to keep everybody on track and it really showed.

Still buzzing from the win, I think there will be a lot of people who regret not going and will be there for the next home game. Just wish it was NZ vs Tonga next Saturday rather than next year!

The amount of players 23 and under in our team is insane, let's hope this is just the start of something special.

Fonzie

Fonzie

Watched it for the second time last night. A few (late) thoughts:
- we used the full width, chanced offloads and still completed at 89%. That should win you most games. Impressive.
- Our forwards did their job and played well but I don't agree with the consensus that our forwards dominated. Our back five rescued our forwards in the first 10 minutes of each half (especially the second half, watch that first 10 again) and weight of possession/completions are what got us on top after that. Dummy half service was slow all night. I though Shaun Johnson and Niko did well to get our forwards running angles and some pass interchange between the forwards also helped.
- Tapau was amazing. Offloading at will.
- Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - its all been said. Legend.
- Shaun Johnson was brilliant in attack. Best half on the ground.
- That edge defence is a real worry. It was mostly the right but we got caught on the left once or twice too. Looking closely at the three breaks down our right in the first 10 minutes - On that first try Shaun Johnson rushed in across the face of Proctor who clearly wasn't on the same page and I think he gave Shaun Johnson a spray. Manu and Raps followed Shaun Johnson in. Looked like Proctor and Shaun Johnson not communicating. On the next break a few minutes later Keary and Teddy sweep right and that right edge just doesn't slide and number up, Shaun Johnson gets caught in no man's land. Watching it slow I feel like maybe Proctor didnt want to slide out and expose Smith, who had some big men running decoy lines at him? The third one is a quick PTB from Cordner, only one marker (Shaun Johnson) with Manu running back into the line and massive holes where Shaun Johnson and Manu should be; Cook scoots, Teddy chimes in and Latrell and Holmes hit the hole. With Shaun Johnson and Manu out of position the middles needed to close in behind the ruck.
Generally, I feel like Shaun Johnson was too keen to rush in and Proctor and the inside guys too slow to move out; fault on both sides. Interested to know how better footy heads than me saw that problem.

Reactions: 9 users
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Couple of classic comments, one that made me laugh was:

' He’s called Chanel!!!! Does he have a sister called Chardonnay?"

Awesome comment by a profile probably named @GoodoldBarry1951.

Or @TraditionalGeorge1948
Or @Goodstrongboysname

• Haha
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Did the usual (after a win) Monday morning trawl through the news and highlights, some really good tries scored, no block stuff or lucky kicks, well deserved. Also simple stuff like passing (properly) to the guy unmarked, is not something we always see.

What an inspired choice Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was, already played with a lot of passion for his club side, he just used to have a pretty high error rate for a fullback was his problem, great game. His no try, had that been Latrell controlling the ball with his fingertips (aside from them probably giving it) would have claimed knock on, real 50/50 (which used to mean you stick with the try call, but they ignore that all the time)

Kevin Proctor was probably the real captain though, like an angry dad out there – I still think the NZRL did the right think in banning those two but they gave everything to the cause now they are back.

Johnson did everything he gets whinged about for the warriors, playing both sides, challenging the line, and its not just because his forwards were on top, a lot of those runs are after a slow play the ball near the goal line, that’s nothing he couldn’t do here, though he’s not passing off to the same quality players obviously – hopefully next year sees more of that.

Australia just need some bigger angrier bois, Inglis would give them another physically intimidating back, Blake Ferguson too, he’s not very exciting, but those hit ups are too valuable, how many times did Gagai or Holmes get whacked coming out of their end. Munster would be another big back to help out. Damian Cook is entirely reliant on the forwards in front of him, he clearly deserved the selection, but the slower international game don’t suit him. They could go for niggle merchants like Tariq Sims or RCG, but what they probably really want is big Billy Kikau.

Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Kevin Proctor was probably the real captain though, like an angry dad out there.

DIDN'T NOTICE THAT. HAVE TO WATCH AGAIN. THOUGHT HE WAS OK BUT NOT GREAT.

Australia just need some bigger angrier bois, Inglis would give them another physically intimidating back, Blake Ferguson too, he’s not very exciting, but those hit ups are too valuable, how many times did Gagai or Holmes get whacked coming out of their end. Munster would be another big back to help out. Damian Cook is entirely reliant on the forwards in front of him, he clearly deserved the selection, but the slower international game don’t suit him. They could go for niggle merchants like Tariq Sims or RCG, but what they probably really want is big Billy Kikau.

Thought Frizzell should have started on the right and put Trbojevic at lock.

Mclean from the bench.
Kaufusi from the bench.
Woods from the bench.
Hunt too.

Think they were a bit light with too many back rowers and not enough props.

They should have started Fifita. Oh hang on.

Or Matt Lodge maybe.
Or that blonde prop from the Sharks that got into NSW this year.
Or actually Australia need more props.

Just realised that of the four starting GF props were x1 Tongan. x2 NZers. x1 Australian.

Reactions: 1 users
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

- we used the full width, chanced offloads and still completed at 89%. That should win you most games. Impressive.

I can't believe how well we passed and how fluid it looked for such a short build up!

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

Just realised that of the four starting GF props were x1 Tongan. x2 NZers. x1 Australian.

Just in terms of Proctor yelling at his teammates at every break in play. they don't have any matt scott or webcke types at the moment, all the elite props are poly's. Klemmer and Woods are stat merchants, but are you ever scared of them, klemmer doesn't even run knees up in internationals.