Internationals Kiwis V Tonga

Mangi-Maori_old

What do you guys think of including Perret and Nightingale in next weeks test? Listening on the radio I only heard good things about these two, especially the high workrate of Nightingale.

Mangi-Maori_old

It's exciting to see Benji linking up well with our outside backs and supporting our forwards halfbreaks. They're attacking with a lot of confidence, I wonder how much influence Bennet has on the way the boys are playing and feeling.

daj3_old

Both Perret and Nightingale had excellent work rates, and couldn't really be faulted... unfortunately Hohaia will take the fullback spot by virtue of being awesome, and Vatuvei and Matai are also certainties for selection. I would argue Ropati's attacking form and his partnership with Manu hands him the jersey number 4. That leaves Inu, Perret and Nightengale to scrap it out for the number 2 jersey. Someone's gotta miss out here my friends...

Jesbass_old

But isn't it a great headache for Kearney to have? We're so used to being only able to pick out of 1 or 2 players, but everyone is standing up and forcing a difficult call on the selection front.

daj3_old

Speaking of Vatuvei and Hohaia... any word on the "injuries"? I realize they were probably just being rested, "precautionary" and all... but what's up with their "minor hamstring issues"? Do we need to be worried?

I really don't like the idea of taking on Aus without Cayless, Vatuvei or Hohaia...

Jesbass_old

The word used was "niggles", arising from the All Golds match, and also during training mid-week.

Cayless' situation is a knee problem that really did rule him out of the match against Tonga. But all three players are expected to be available for selection to take to the field against Australia.

Northern_Union

Both Perret and Nightingale had excellent work rates, and couldn't really be faulted... unfortunately Hohaia will take the fullback spot by virtue of being awesome, and Vatuvei and Matai are also certainties for selection. I would argue Ropati's attacking form and his partnership with Manu hands him the jersey number 4. That leaves Inu, Perret and Nightengale to scrap it out for the number 2 jersey. Someone's gotta miss out here my friends...

I see Ropati as a liability with his defensive problems. I think they have gotten worse with the end of the NRL season because now he is not only making bad reads on D but is being busted on a D as well. That to me leaves Inu to link with Manu agaunst the Aussies. If the NZ Maori and Tonga can cause Ropo trouble on D, what do you think the Aussies can do? And the thing is that the NRL sides were targeting Ropo on D so Ricky Stewart will do exactly the same should Ropo be named at 3.

daj3_old

Good call NU... Inu has been playing at left centre too... and would be used to having players in the mold of Vatuvei (big and fast) outside him... (Grothe, Tautai, Tony Williams)

Magic Stick_old

What about Soliola for center, He has been a beast for the kiwis. i cant remember a bad game from him in the kiwi jumper....his form has been average of late though

for all Ropati's short comings on D, he can provide that magic to win a game

Kid-Dynamite_old

for all Ropati's short comings on D, he can provide that magic to win a game

Yea, just look back to round 1 of the finals against the Strom! While Manu does get a lot of the limelight for that try, it was Jerome who put him away very nicely!

Personally I think you guys are being a bit harsh on Ropati. I think in the back end of the NRL season he was playing excellent footy, and I think if we can get him teamed up with Manu in a Kiwis jersey we will again find success down the left side like we have all season with the Warriors!

Remember that's something that can't be overlooked. Ropati and Vatuvei would team up better than say Inu and Vatuvei, as they have played together all year.

But then, that leaves players who have been impressive like Nightengale, and Inu out of the team! So yea it is hard, and it is a headache, but a good one to have!

Viking_old

The selection of Ropati might come down to who they're facing on that side which will probably be Tate at winger and Folau at centre. While Ropati was good in the win against the Storm, Matai was better against Folau in the GF. The only worry is when Matai shoots out of the line to splat Folau, he'll leave Manu high and dry. A Vatuvei/Matai combo beats a Tate/Folou combo IMO.

On the other side I'd go with Soliola at centre and give him one job, put a world of hurt and pressure on Inglis. Nightingale and Perriet have been impressive but Inu is pure class and needs to be on the right wing.

Jesbass_old

Matai is used to playing at right centre, (for the Kiwis, anyway - not sure about the Sea Eagles), so that helps to complicate the matter! :D

Viking_old

Matai is used to playing at right centre, (for the Kiwis, anyway - not sure about the Sea Eagles), so that helps to complicate the matter! :D

He played at left centre in the Grand Final and he needs to be there to put the fear into Folau again. The other reason I'd have Matai there before Ropati is that Tate knows Jerome too well so will try to exploit any weaknesses.

2big2strong_old

Matai has played 95% of his career at left centre, and that was also where he played in last years centenary test in Wellington when he got sent off for taking Gasniers head off. He also played there in the 2006 tri nations because Sia Soliola played exclusively on the right.

Jesbass_old

I could have sworn that Matai was on our right hand side when he got sent off last year. Sorry, lads.

Viking_old

I was looking for the hit on Gasnier on youtube to see if Matai was on the left wing. Matai was unlucky there, Gasnier's got a fair sized melon, it'd be hard to miss, not on the Nate Myles or Jones Buchanan scale but still a decent target.

daj3_old

I could have sworn that Matai was on our right hand side when he got sent off last year. Sorry, lads.

I remembered it like that too, but then thought about it remembering it the other way, and now I can't go back...

Think about it like this... camera is on australia's left side of the field, slightly behind their attacking line. Zoomed in on the Gasnier/matai clash... if you can... It all made perfect sense to me after I "viewed" it that way, mentally.

Matai comes in and makes the hit... Gasnier was def. playing on aussies right hand side, Matai on our left.

Man this assignment is messing with my head and making me wierd... a week of all-nighters in a row now just about...

Jesbass_old

I remembered it like that too, but then thought about it remembering it the other way, and now I can't go back...

Think about it like this... camera is on australia's left side of the field, slightly behind their attacking line. Zoomed in on the Gasnier/matai clash... if you can... It all made perfect sense to me after I "viewed" it that way, mentally.

Matai comes in and makes the hit... Gasnier was def. playing on aussies right hand side, Matai on our left.

Man this assignment is messing with my head and making me wierd... a week of all-nighters in a row now just about...

See, I thought it was opposite to that - camera on Australia's right, looking from behind their attacking line deep in our half, and Matai comes in from the left of the camera, (our right side), and makes the hit.

I know it's just semantics, especially if he's played mostly on the left for Manly, but still...

He was definitely on the right against Tonga, though.

And yeah, I'm feeling the late nights...

Tajhay_old

dunno if it has been posted yet but soliola is out of the world cup and has been replaced by....bronson harrison...who has done jack all for the past 2 seasons....

Jesbass_old

dunno if it has been posted yet but soliola is out of the world cup and has been replaced by....bronson harrison...who has done jack all for the past 2 seasons....

...bugger. I had no idea. Is he injured?