Internationals Kiwis V Tonga

daj3_old

The final try was pretty much inevitable, I wouldn't blame Smith too much, though he was caught unawares somewhat...

Bu the original break by tonga's number 13 (not sure of the name, commentary wasn't turned up in the pub)... he just ran straight over Marshall... with not even a lot of pace, from memory. It was a tackle that our stronger defensive players would have pulled off with ease, and

1) Marshall should have made it.
2) He shouldn't have been left to make it himself... since number 1 was always gonna be uncertain.

Joe 90_old

The final try was pretty much inevitable, I wouldn't blame Smith too much, though he was caught unawares somewhat...

Bu the original break by tonga's number 13 (not sure of the name, commentary wasn't turned up in the pub)... he just ran straight over Marshall... with not even a lot of pace, from memory. It was a tackle that our stronger defensive players would have pulled off with ease, and

1) Marshall should have made it.
2) He shouldn't have been left to make it himself... since number 1 was always gonna be uncertain.

Ah, so it indirectly led to the try.

Kid-Dynamite_old

I missed the game cos I was playing cricket today! :( I hear we won comfortably though!

Who impressed? And how did the hooker scenario between Fien and Luke go? (As there was some talk about it on here ;))

playdaball_old

I missed the game cos I was playing cricket today! :( I hear we won comfortably though!

Who impressed? And how did the hooker scenario between Fien and Luke go? (As there was some talk about it on here ;))

Not a bad mix with the hookers. Luke was not at his dynamic best. Fien outplayed him actually (today).

playdaball_old

Yeah agreed. Just doesn't learn. His lack of discipline was a big part in losing his Warriors spot this season. First act this game is to give away a penalty for a ridiculous grapple, and he was lucky the ref was in mercy mode for not picking up his off the ball stuff. I personally think he just cant keep up with the game.
No thanks! Warriors dont need that chain hanging around there neck 09.

He clipped Nightingale who proceeded to 'chase' him.

playdaball_old

I thought it was Tony Williams who ran over Benji.

Benji is just like how Jonah was - on attack great , on defence ... try and hide them.

daj3_old

Ah, so it indirectly led to the try.

I suppose, but if tonga hadn't stuffed it up it would have been a direct result... and once they were down there is was pretty obvious they were gonna score... an offside tackle from the kiwis was the only thing to delay it.

Northern_Union

Marshall was brilliant on attack, easily the best player on the park in attack. I can live with Marshalls defensive frailities if he can continue to bitch slap defensive lines like he did today.

Viking_old

I really thought Nightingale would struggle with Tony Williams' size but he just ran rings around Williams all day. Ropati might have had his moments on d but he schooled Vuna all game.

Tonga need to move Mateo back to lock, Williams into the second row where he starred for the U20s and Vuna back to the wing. Tonga had no platform to work with, the props wouldn't have had a dozen hitups between them.

Gotta say the Tongan crowd support was amazing and good spirited even when their team was copping a hiding. It would be interesting to know what the crowd numbers were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iafeta_old

Sounds like a good performance. On other forums the Kiwis were a fair chance of being whipped and are still odds on in their minds to be beaten up by a Tonga or a Samoa as they have "infinitely better squads".

Viking_old

Sounds like a good performance. On other forums the Kiwis were a fair chance of being whipped and are still odds on in their minds to be beaten up by a Tonga or a Samoa as they have "infinitely better squads".

The Kiwis had a better game plan and a much better forward pack and also made far fewer mistakes. It was an infinately better performance than last week and Tonga are much better team on paper than the Maori side was, every Tongan player is either playing NRL or ESL bar one. They had the strike power but the Kiwis starved them of the ball and field position. A lot of the attack was aimed at Williams and Vuna, Inu and Matai wouldn't have got half the attacking opportunities on the right that Ropati and Nightingale got on the left wing.

Matai lifts the whole side with his enthusiasm but Leuleuai had a very accurate day with the boot, he had three or four long range kicks sit up in the ingoal where Talanoa was trapped forcing line dropouts. Talanoa is no slouch at fullback either.

Good signs for the Kiwis, even the Tongan supporters I talked to were impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Very good performance. thought Faalogo and Rapira had poor games

my team for Australia Game

01 Lance Hohaia
02 Krisnan Inu
03 Steve Matai
04 Jerome Ropati
05 Manu Vatuvei
06 Benji Marshall
07 Thomas Leuluai
08 Nathan Cayless
09 Nathan Fein
10 Adam Blair
11 Simon Mannering
12 Setaimata Sa
13 Jeremy Smith

14 Issac Luke
15 Sika Manu
16 Greg Eastwood
17 Sam Rapira / Evarn Tuimavave

I like that lineup. I thought David Fa'alogo was our worst player on the field. He conceded at least two penalties, and should have conceded another when he bent a player backwards in the tackle. In an NRL match, he would have been pinged for that.

Both hakas were really impressive.

Benji Marshall was outstanding on attack. Scored 2 tries and set up 5 others.

Thomas Leuluai was accurate with the boot again - he had at least 2 or 3 kicks that sat up in the in goal and forced goal line dropouts.

Jerome Ropati had at least 1 costly defensive blunder but easily made up for it with his hattrick of tries.

Adam Blair was explosive on attack, as was Sika Manu.

Issac Luke had less impact than I'd expected him too, but Nathan Fien had a strong game which basically meant it didn't matter.

Jerome Ropati and Jason Nightingale dominated the left flank, and kept Cooper Vuna and Tony Williams out of most of the match.

Jeremy Smith had a good captain's knock.

I was surprised by the decision to award Michael Jennings with the George Mann medal. I personally thought Tevita Leo-Latu and Feleti Mateo had stronger peformances.

Photos can be found here: https://www.photosport.co.nz/albums.php?albumId=47273

bigstuboy_old

who went and wat did you think?

who here went to the game yesturday out at mt smart and what did you think of the game?
i was surprised by the score line i thought tonga woulda been alot tougher ,i think benji and thomas had great games how good was thomas's kicking game and benji's passing .

Northern_Union

Marshall was magic on attack. I hope Thomas can continue to produce the goods in the world cup and stick it up his doubters.

Magic Stick_old

Marshall was magic on attack. I hope Thomas can continue to produce the goods in the world cup and stick it up his doubters.

Criticism of Thomas is warranted until he delivers in some big games... He played very well yesterday.His kicking game couldnt get much better, but he was hardly under any pressure,I hope he delivers against Australia

Northern_Union

He played well against the Maori also. He has been good form for Wigan for sometime, and in the 05 Anzac test he was the only player that stood out.

Northern_Union

Having said i have to admit that i am a big fan of Thomas and the way he plays so i'm probably biased some what.