Internationals KIWIS RLWC 2017 Campaign

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
I hope you are right Welly, because if you are about Kidwell being the weakness that is no problem, he is only putting out the cones and making press releases. I have a lot of faith in Brian Smith, if I were Taumalolo or any of the other Tongan rebels I would hope Smith does not stay involved with the Kiwis. I have seen far less experienced Kiwi sides deal to the Australians, and this could be an interesting series, especially against Tonga.
Those far less experienced sides had good motivators. Kidwell in the last couple of years had better teams but he still looked ordinary. If we swapped coaches with Aus .. Meninga would of picked the coke boys and Taumalolo would of stayed with the kiwis knowing he would be used properly. As for the Aussie players, they would probably ignore Kidwell and make their own game plan..

Reactions: mt.wellington

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
Martins defense is terrible, I'd rather have Nikorima and Johnson in the halves. (Not much better, just a smidgen:)
If defence is the focus then you go with leuleuai. I'm trying to figure out who's the best fit with this so called new kiwis style of footy. I think their gonna go back to offloads at will and off the cuff play. Martin is good in broken play. So is nikorima. But leuleuai has the best structure and passing game and defence

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
Do we have any warm up games? I swear we're screwed if we don't. We go straight into Samoa who will be rearing to go. We have to be hitting all cylinders from the very first kick off. Then you have Scotland who have the belief they can beat us. Then topped of by tonga who is now stacked with power. Don't see how we get out of this pool without at least one loss.

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I think martin may just edge nikorima in my opinion. Both not ideal but Martin can create some solo tries and broken play attack.
I think Nikorima gets the spot because he's used to playing with a non-organising half when he partners Anthony Milford, which is a similar style to Shaun Johnson. Whereas Morgan calls every single play and controls the kicking options at the cowboys while TMM hangs back until the opportunity is there, so I don't think he would mesh well with Shaun Johnson. Plus even if Nikorima is a below average defender, TMM is an absolute turnstile in defence and got exposed badly in the GF.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Well I for one can't wait.
Kiwis always been my number one team- been supporting them a lot longer than I have the warriors.
Bit disappointed at the make up of the squad- I had taumalolo, taukiaho, ma'u and Fusitua all in my side but that's their choice.
Bromwhich is a massive loss- he and taumalolo are the 2 best middle fowards in the game so that's a couple of big outs.
Harris too of course.
Disappointed Fusitua has gone for tonga too- as much for the future as the present.
I would've had Luke there- statistically still our best hooker by a long way.
But fuck it- teams been picked and all those guys are proud kiwis and deserve their spot- still a decent top 17 ( I liked the side TheCool TheCool posted ). Bit of luck with injuries and we could surprise a few people (conversely it could all turn to shit- missing the semis would be beyond embarrassing).
Give em a taste of kiwi!

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
If nothing else, having Brian Smith involved gives me a little bit of hope, I mean more hope than I'd have if it was just Kidwell runnin' the show.
In saying that, Smiths been a polarizing dude over the years, could just as easily get all the players offside lol fark knows.
I like our side. Obviously not as strong as it could've been, but the shemozzle of the 'defectors' I can see working in our favour.
I've no doubt the boys picked will wanna put the MANA back in that black and white jersey.
Amd it's definitely given the tournament a bit of spice!
Nikorima and Johnson in the halves is the way to go.
Looking for Tapine to be a breakout player of the tournament.

Up the Kiwis!

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Christchurch
This is my team based on what they've done in the kiwis jersey

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - solid nothing amazing but has never played for Samoa had been committed to nz since the start.

Nightingale - deserves a medal for years of service without complaint or drawing negative media attention. Has his limitations but can handle the pressure and is solid when he has a good centre pairing he can trust.

Whare - has been great and has done some amazing individual plays to help the kiwis.

Hiku- he was massive in 2014. He dominated Dugan in 2015. Isn't a half we know that but when put in the right spot he has never failed us.

Rapana- come into the kiwis during a bad culture and change with kidwell. Always giving his all and doing his best.

Nikorima- despite his brother choosing Aussie he has always stayed solid with the kiwis. A limited player but is the best we got and wants to play.

Johnson- Shaun has been magic when having the right group around him. World Cup semi and 2014 four nations come to mind.

Packer - publicly stated he wanted to be selected and was a goal to be back in the kiwis. Has the passion.

Leuleuai. Best at hooker. Paid his dues and has been a servant. Won't let the team down.

Taupau - we know how much he respects the jersey. Is a winner and example of how to play in the kiwis jersey.

Blair - captain. Done a lot over the years. Has something to prove.

Tapine - toured last year. Done well in his role. Young but will be supported.

Mannering- what can we say about manners. Should've remained captain to be fair. He did a great job after the benji era. Kidwell had no idea what he was doing and thought bromich was ready for captain. Biggest mistake. Brings toughness and will go the extra mile.

Levi - yet to see how much he will bleed for the jersey but deserves a crack off the bench.

Asofa solomona.- if he can bring as much passion as he does off the bench for the storm. We won't be having any issues if he just does his role.

Taylor - has the passion. Not the greatest player but will give his all out their for the team.

Fonua Blake - a great talent. A toss up between him and Liu. Maybe they both need a shot to see who deserves a bench. Spot.

Last options

Jwh- crap in the kiwis. Overrated. Never bled or sacrificed for the team.

Martin- abit young. Nikorima proven more at this stage in their kiwis career.

Liu- an unknown. Played for Samoa so I'm not sure if he cares. Could be another Manu mau.

Watene zelezniak - great talent but hasn't delivered the goods yet in a kiwis jersey.

Takairangi- good player. Abit unreliable at times for parra but has the measurable s to cause trouble. Long and athletic. I remembered he pulled out one Anzac test which I want happy with.

Kenny brom- just not an international quality player. Has done nothing in a kiwis jersey. Really thought Lewis brown has done more and deserves his spot.

Beale - a dud player. The longest serving kiwis player who I have no idea how they have been selected so often.

missed opportunities

Harawira naera- the miss of the team. Has the attacking goods to do damage with Shaun Johnson. Don't know how he missed out.

Lewis brown - better than kenny bromich. Simple as that.

Gavet - not sure of his passion for the kiwis but could be the best impact needed.

Brandon smith - showed in the nrl games he played he is gonna be better than Levi already.

Joseph Manu - better than Beale.

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
Brandon smith - showed in the nrl games he played he is gonna be better than Levi already.
Agree that Smith will be our first choice hooker in the coming years.
He's an absolute gun. Quality dummy half service and tackles like a demon. Watched him in the QRL grand final and he put on a some absolute bell ringers. Plays back row too.
Don't think he's quite ready for this level yet though.
Needs more consistent first grade action but with he and Levi, our hooking stocks look good for the future.

Edit : Also, he's learning from the best to play the position in the history of the game. ;)

Last edited:

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
This is my team based on what they've done in the kiwis jersey

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - solid nothing amazing but has never played for Samoa had been committed to nz since the start.

Nightingale - deserves a medal for years of service without complaint or drawing negative media attention. Has his limitations but can handle the pressure and is solid when he has a good centre pairing he can trust.

Whare - has been great and has done some amazing individual plays to help the kiwis.

Hiku- he was massive in 2014. He dominated Dugan in 2015. Isn't a half we know that but when put in the right spot he has never failed us.

Rapana- come into the kiwis during a bad culture and change with kidwell. Always giving his all and doing his best.

Nikorima- despite his brother choosing Aussie he has always stayed solid with the kiwis. A limited player but is the best we got and wants to play.

Johnson- Shaun has been magic when having the right group around him. World Cup semi and 2014 four nations come to mind.

Packer - publicly stated he wanted to be selected and was a goal to be back in the kiwis. Has the passion.

Leuleuai. Best at hooker. Paid his dues and has been a servant. Won't let the team down.

Taupau - we know how much he respects the jersey. Is a winner and example of how to play in the kiwis jersey.

Blair - captain. Done a lot over the years. Has something to prove.

Tapine - toured last year. Done well in his role. Young but will be supported.

Mannering- what can we say about manners. Should've remained captain to be fair. He did a great job after the benji era. Kidwell had no idea what he was doing and thought bromich was ready for captain. Biggest mistake. Brings toughness and will go the extra mile.

Levi - yet to see how much he will bleed for the jersey but deserves a crack off the bench.

Asofa solomona.- if he can bring as much passion as he does off the bench for the storm. We won't be having any issues if he just does his role.

Taylor - has the passion. Not the greatest player but will give his all out their for the team.

Fonua Blake - a great talent. A toss up between him and Liu. Maybe they both need a shot to see who deserves a bench. Spot.

Last options

Jwh- crap in the kiwis. Overrated. Never bled or sacrificed for the team.

Martin- abit young. Nikorima proven more at this stage in their kiwis career.

Liu- an unknown. Played for Samoa so I'm not sure if he cares. Could be another Manu mau.

Watene zelezniak - great talent but hasn't delivered the goods yet in a kiwis jersey.

Takairangi- good player. Abit unreliable at times for parra but has the measurable s to cause trouble. Long and athletic. I remembered he pulled out one Anzac test which I want happy with.

Kenny brom- just not an international quality player. Has done nothing in a kiwis jersey. Really thought Lewis brown has done more and deserves his spot.

Beale - a dud player. The longest serving kiwis player who I have no idea how they have been selected so often.

missed opportunities

Harawira naera- the miss of the team. Has the attacking goods to do damage with Shaun Johnson. Don't know how he missed out.

Lewis brown - better than kenny bromich. Simple as that.

Gavet - not sure of his passion for the kiwis but could be the best impact needed.

Joseph Manu - better than Beale.
I think gavet is still injured?
Beales not a dud , just not terribly noteworthy lol

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion...answers-over-jason-taumalolos-shock-defection

NZRL is such a joke when they have such amateurs in charge of the national team.

Feels like reliving the Warriors season from hell just with a different jersey.
They are amateurs because the NZRL are broke and cannot afford to pay professionals. I don't know how they are paying Brian Smith but thankfully he is on board. Like Trugoy says he can be a polarising dude but he has the smarts to do the job.

Also, joke they may be, but the more I read about the Tongan revolt it bodes poorly for Tongan players in future. The Warriors have been well and truly experienced in their ways, and now the Kiwis have copped it where it hurts. Taumalolo had his right to choose allegiances, but holding off until the last moment is the crowning glory IMO.

I have asked Mount Wellington this question and never been answered. Who was the first Tongan born player to be selected for the Kiwis? Maybe he doesn't know, but I do, and he was no different to this current mob. They are all big, athletic, fast and talented, but their attitude can suck big time, especially when it counts. The Warriors must have had more Tongans than any other team in the NRL and it sure has showed.

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
They are amateurs because the NZRL are broke and cannot afford to pay professionals. I don't know how they are paying Brian Smith but thankfully he is on board. Like Trugoy says he can be a polarising dude but he has the smarts to do the job.

Also, joke they may be, but the more I read about the Tongan revolt it bodes poorly for Tongan players in future. The Warriors have been well and truly experienced in their ways, and now the Kiwis have copped it where it hurts. Taumalolo had his right to choose allegiances, but holding off until the last moment is the crowning glory IMO.

I have asked Mount Wellington this question and never been answered. Who was the first Tongan born player to be selected for the Kiwis? Maybe he doesn't know, but I do, and he was no different to this current mob. They are all big, athletic, fast and talented, but their attitude can suck big time, especially when it counts. The Warriors must have had more Tongans than any other team in the NRL and it sure has showed.
Can I take a guess ? Bill Sorenson

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
The team I would like to see:
  1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
  2. Dallin Watene Zelezniak
  3. Dean Whare
  4. Brad Takairangi
  5. Jordan Rapana
  6. Kodi Nikorima
  7. Shaun Johnson
  8. Adam Blair
  9. Thomas Leuluai
  10. Martin Taupau
  11. Simon Mannering
  12. Joseph Tapine
  13. Isaac Liu

14. Danny Levi
  15. Russell Packer
  16. Addin Fonua-Blake
  17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
Reserves: Jason Nightingale, Gerard Beale, Peta Hiku, Te Maire Martin, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Kenny Bromwich, Elijah Taylor

Had the same team bruv.
Liu has to be in there due to his form , has a knack of breaking the line every now and then.
Same bench as well.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings