Internationals Kiwis four nations

Oh man, I'm absolutely loving how the skippys are desperately clinging to any excuse they can muster, makes me all warm & fuzzy inside :p

Personally I think they are starting to see the writing on the wall & that writing says, that for all intents & purposes, the young Kiwi brigade of upcoming players (eg: Johnson, Foran, Taumalolo, Bromwich etc) have far more potential to become the future greats of the game than their skippy counterparts are currently displaying & if that comes to fruition, where does that leave the ARL / NRL in the grand scheme of the game ?

Holding on to a misguided perception that they are still the be all & end all of Rugby League, whilst still vigorously promoting a quasi international, inherently xenophobic display, that they trumpet as "the pinnacle of the game" State of Origin, whilst not actually encompassing all of the games best players perhaps ?

Happy Days ... Kia Kaha Te Iwi Kiwi :D

Jordan G

The next generation doesn't look too bad either. Have some serious hooking/fullback talent especially that hopefully will make the step up to first grade and then continue on.

Probably true but no one was being a wanker....he was bought in when he hadn't earned a spot and put in ahead of a guy who was playing far better in Townsend and that may have cost us. TL is a god awful NRL half. Let's hope he gets it together at 9...
Nothing personal but that's bullshit, TL did a good job in the halves 2013 and that's a fact. Sure Chad offers more when he plays consistently, especially when TL is coming in cold and the coach is accountable for that. No way should TL take CT's spot, the dummy half was meant to be TL but injury to various players (Shaun Johnson) conspired against it working out.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
NRL.com's Team of the Four Nations
By Jack Brady
39510_20_2.jpg

England winger Ryan Hall played his way into NRL.com's best 17 from the 2014 Four Nations. Credit: Brett Crockford. Copyright: NRL Photos.

1. Greg Inglis (Australia)

After only playing half of the Kangaroos' first Test against the Kiwis, Inglis bounced back in a big way. The Rabbitohs fullback did more than enough to earn the No.1 jersey in our team after producing four tries, 11 tackle breaks, a line break assist and a tick under 100 metres per Test.

2. Jason Nightingale (New Zealand)

The Kiwi winger topped the try tally at the tournament with five and became the most prolific try-scorer in Four Nations history, bypassing former Dragons teammate Brett Morris with his 11th four-pointer. Nightingale also made eight tackle busts and the fifth-most metres in the tournament (493).

3. Michael Jennings (Australia)

The Roosters centre finally announced himself on the international stage with four solid performances for the Kangaroos. Jennings topped the tournament tackle-break tally with 24, scored two tries and averaged 113.5 metres per Test.

4. Dean Whare (New Zealand)

Despite having to return to Sydney before the Four Nations Final to be at the birth of his second child, Whare was able to return for New Zealand's victory to cap an impressive tournament. The Penrith centre came up with plenty of clutch plays, with four line-break assists (equal first in the tournament) and three try assists (equal second).

5. Ryan Hall (England)

The hard-running Englishman just pipped Manu Vatuvei to the second wing spot in our side. Hall, who certainly delivered in his three Tests, almost sent Australia crashing out of the tournament after just missing out on a last-gasp try in England's close loss to the Aussies in Melbourne. His three tries, five line breaks, 18 tackle breaks and 118 metres per Test had plenty asking why the 26-year-old isn't playing in the NRL.

6. Daly Cherry-Evans (Australia)

Usually accustomed to excelling in the halfback jumper for Manly, Cherry-Evans took over from Johnathan Thurston at five-eighth with flying colours. Despite injuring his hip in the early stages of the tournament, Cherry-Evans' running game still fired when necessary – producing two try assists and 10 tackle breaks.

7. Shaun Johnson (New Zealand)

The Warriors halfback racked up the most points in the tournament, won the Man of the Match in the final, scored two scintillating tries and set up two others in equally amazing fashion, broke 17 tackles and kicked the only 40/20 across all seven games. Enough said.

8. Jesse Bromwich (New Zealand)

To say the Storm front-rower solidified his place as New Zealand's premier prop is an understatement. A huge factor in their success, Bromwich topped the tournament for offloads (13) and produced 112 tackles and 13 tackle breaks. Above all, he punched out the second-most metres (596 metres) of any player, and easily the most of any forward, at an average of 149 per Test.

9. Daryl Clark (England)

The reigning Super League Man of the Steel edged out Australian captain Cameron Smith for the hooking berth in a promising showing from the 21-year-old. Sharing the hooking role with Canberra recruit Josh Hodgson for England's first two Tests, Clark made the role his own against New Zealand, proving he is one for the future. Finished with a try assist, two line breaks, 232 metres and nine tackle breaks in three games.

10. James Graham (England)

The British Bulldog was relatively quiet in the Four Nations compared to his late-season NRL form for Canterbury, but it didn't stop him from producing solid numbers. His 116 tackles (seventh tournament-wide) and 119.7 metres per Test kept opposition sides busy.

11. Simon Mannering (New Zealand)

The Kiwis captain again proved why he is one of the world's most complete rugby league players. Besides his two try assists (equal third in the tournament), Mannering produced the third-most tackles (129) and the eighth-most metres (472) – averaging 118m per game.

12. Greg Bird (Australia)

Bird's aggressive touch didn't go unnoticed for the Australians. In a Kangaroos team lacking experience, the Titans captain and veteran rep star stood out with the sixth most metres in the tournament (488) plus a try assist and 13 tackle breaks.

13. Josh McGuire (Samoa)

After seemingly missing out on Kangaroos selection by the skin of his teeth, McGuire threw on the Samoan colours with great effect. In three Tests, the usual Broncos prop split his time at lock and hooker, coming up with 122 tackles (fourth most in the tournament), two try assists (equal third), nine tackle breaks and 112.7 metres per match.

Interchange

14. Kieran Foran (New Zealand)

A steadied influence in attack, Foran proved a solid foil for livewire Johnson for the triumphant Kiwis. Despite struggling at times in defence (72.1 per cent tackle efficiency) the five-eighth scored a try, set up another and broke seven tackles.

15. Martin Taupau (New Zealand)

A man on a mission at the best of times, Taupau snuck his way into the team off the back his inspirational showing in the Four Nations final. Producing 100 metres in well under a half of football, Taupau's tournament ended on a stretcher but his legacy in his final showing will live on for years.

16. Corey Parker (Australia)

Starting the tournament off the bench, Parker ended it at his preferred lock position for the Kangaroos. His eight offloads (second in the tournament), 120 tackles (sixth), try assist, 12 tackle and 117.3 metres per Test made him an invaluable member of the Australian side.

17. Jason Taumalolo (New Zealand)

In his debut international tournament, the Cowboys enforcer managed to play every Test possible and did so with flying colours. While his impact was drastically limited by Australia in the final, the hard-running Taumalolo still made the seventh-most metres in the competition (473) and produced 13 tackle breaks to cap off a memorable year for the 21-year-old.

https://www.nrl.com/nrlcoms-team-of-the-four-nations/tabid/10874/newsid/83058/default.aspx

Cant really disagree with any of it bar the inclusion of DCE. His woeful defence cost the Aussies both games against us and Foran was clearly better. Bit of BS there. Some others are arguably but not bad. Pita Godinet could have taken hooker but Clarke was also good...

Yep Foran over DCE all day ... with my eyepatch firmly on I would also add Beastwood into the mix somewhere at the expense of Bird

Little bit rich IMO that the only Samoan they managed to slot in there is, for all intents & purposes, an Australian

Last edited:
My team of the tournament;

1. Greg Inglis
2. Ryan Hall
3. Joey Leilua
4. Dean Whare
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Kieran Foran
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Daryl Clark
10. Josh McGuire
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Simon Mannering
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Pita Godinet
15. Greg Eastwood
16. Martin Taupau
17. Corey Parker

I can't believe how young Taumalolo is... it seems like people have been calling for his inclusion in the Kiwis for YEARS - kid's only 21. Must have been only just 18 when those calls first started being made...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I can't believe how young Taumalolo is... it seems like people have been calling for his inclusion in the Kiwis for YEARS - kid's only 21. Must have been only just 18 when those calls first started being made...
He almost single-handedly ruined our 2011 NYC Grand Final with the Cowboys. Never forget how he rallied his boys to within a whisker of beating us. Some of the players he stood up this tournament is just insane for a guy his age...

I agree Mt Wellington for that reason alone he would be my number 1 pick for the Warriors to open the chequebook for. That's a big offer we made Foran but we all know we actually need a decent forward or two, lets spend that money trying to tempt Taumalolo over here.

Reactions: mt.wellington

kiwi's 13-6

awesome kiwis 2014 four nations champions! Played as a team with heart, brains, patience, discipline, controlled aggression and an 80 minute effort!!!

steve kearneys reappointment as coach is justified by the kiwis performance this year!!! i was against him getting the job again but happy they stuck with him. His decision to leave benji marshall out of the squad which i disagreed with also seems to be the correct one as well.

i was at the game and the attendance of 25,000 i can only describe as barely being up to par numbers wise, i thought 30,000 should have been the attendance for such an occasion it can most likely be explained by the late kick off 8.45, how are out of towners from palmie, the naki, hawkes bay, rotorua etc supposed to get home at a decent hour when the game finished at 10.45 and trophy presentation by 11pm! its a 2 to 4 hour drive to those other lower north island towns. getting home after 2am with kids isnt cool for those who cant afford a hotel and or have commitments the next day!.also last time kiwi's played aussie in wellington was our lowest point in recent years in 2007 gary kemble coaching, injury depleted kiwi's, steve matai sent off...we got whipped 56-0, the pain of that day kept a few away! i noticed the video ref display on the big screen wasnt working at all in the 1st half! The waterboy/runners for both sides should not be allowed on the field in general play at times there were up to 4 on the field at once in back play lingering around on one occasion one almost got caught iup in the play!!!! not good.you dont notice it much on tv but at the game live its fricken annoying!!!

back to the overwhelming positive the crowd was good natured and made a lot of noise for the kiwis which im sure helped them win!!! cameron smith after game speech was very good and genuine from a losing captain got new respect for him now hes one of the minority they call decent aussies that includes alan border, kevin rudd, steve price and him then daylight!!!! aussie media can whinge all they want but kiwi's deserved to win the ref made blunders both ways that cancelled each other out with debatable forward pass calls going each way for australia!!! and if you want to get petty aussie were very lucky to be in the final, ryan hall scored that try for england which probably would have knocked them out. we won aussie suck it up and come back harder or else sulk and go play amongst hallf of yourself!!! 2 states out of 6 play each other lol!!! NZ league might not be the biggest game all over nz but the sport is played nationwide from northland to southland and the kiwi's have a nationwide appeal!!!!!!

anyways kiwi's allday my 3rd kiwi's test ive attended and 3rd time lucky they won the four nations final, awesome! merry xmas people and a happy new year, peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inruin

Contributor
I would love to see regular tours start up again. Start a rivalry between The Kiwis and England. Three test series played alternately in England and New Zealand. Australia would rather play S.O.O. so why don't we do our own thing. I guarantee they will want to start playing too because they will feel they are missing out and not able to show everyone how good they are. Or how about a four nations every year. Kiwis, England, Samoa and maybe Tonga or Scotland or France?

Bit of a laugh Bird making the team, what for ? Niggliest cheat ?

Same goes for that turnstyle DCE.

Johnsons blown D.C.E. off the park at international level.

If he could pair up with Tomkins behind decent forwards we'd be most of the way there.
I would love to see regular tours start up again. Start a rivalry between The Kiwis and England. Three test series played alternately in England and New Zealand. Australia would rather play S.O.O. so why don't we do our own thing. I guarantee they will want to start playing too because they will feel they are missing out and not able to show everyone how good they are. Or how about a four nations every year. Kiwis, England, Samoa and maybe Tonga or Scotland or France?
Pretty important that England do well in the NZ tour.

New comers to the sport up there like Marwan Koukash really don't know what it feels like to see a successful English /Brit team play their unique brand of rugged and expansive flowing footy.

The England team were amazing against the kiwis, when they moved the ball they were too fast with their hands for the kiwis.

But for a couple of conversions aye......they have been seconds/ millimeters from beating NZ two tests in a row now.

I was not a fan of this new direction Kearney was going when he named the ANZAC test team, thought he was nuts at the time, then I saw him leave out some pretty decent players for this 4 Nations team again I thought we were gonners. But I see now that attitude more than 'talent' is what he was after. I suspect our WC team was quite an arrogant lot and maybe we had some ring leaders that didn't endear themselves to the coaching staff. I look at this team and I see a team of grafters, honest, willing workers with a couple of superstars to guide them around. I saw how focused the kiwis were, even when Shaun Johnson was getting smashed off the ball, when he was bundled out of touch and 'roughed' up by Jennings, he got up and seemed already thinking about the next play. The aussies on the other hand looked frustrated right throughout the game, getting angry, pushing and shoving, getting drawn into the grind. It was glorious to watch. We obviously believed in coaches game plan. Thanks team for leaving an amazing last taste of RL for the year 2014. Now I just need to get a copy of both games so I can watch it over the holidays hehe :)

Bit of a laugh Bird making the team, what for ? Niggliest cheat ?

Same goes for that turnstyle DCE.

Johnsons blown D.C.E. off the park at international level.

If he could pair up with Tomkins behind decent forwards we'd be most of the way there.

Pretty important that England do well in the NZ tour.

New comers to the sport up there like Marwan Koukash really don't know what it feels like to see a successful English /Brit team play their unique brand of rugged and expansive flowing footy.

The England team were amazing against the kiwis, when they moved the ball they were too fast with their hands for the kiwis.

But for a couple of conversions aye......they have been seconds/ millimeters from beating NZ two tests in a row now.

I would personally have the test series under the Great Britain banner though with England being an A side like they were in the past and playing against Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France and Italy in a 6 Nations/European Shield comp. Yes we will more than likely walk it but it gives the guys in the other sides the chance to test themselves somewhat on the International stage and push for a possible GB spot to face the Kiwis.

As much as I hate how the Aussies try to rule the game and always state S.O.O as the pinnacle (it is IMO) I would love an Ashes series every 3/4 years against them with tests against you guys in-between.

Reactions: Sup42
Well he did slot Taupau in the team who for all intents & purposes is a Samoan. Also picked 3 players who, for all intents & purposes, are Tongans.

I see your point, but if you look at McGuires history you could argue that the only reason he is playing for Samoa is because he stuffed up his Australian eligibility in 2010

Josh McGuire Born 2 / 3 / 1990, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

McGuire's mother was born in Auckland, New Zealand and is of Samoan descent, making McGuire eligible for Australia, New Zealand and Samoa

Representative Career

In 2007, McGuire played for Queensland Under 17's and Under 19's. In 2008, he played for Queensland Under 18's

In 2010, McGuire debuted for Samoa against New Zealand on October 16

In 2011, he was selected in the Australian Kangaroos train-on squad but was later omitted due to eligibility issues from playing for Samoa

In 2012, McGuire was selected as 18th man for Queensland in Game 2 of the 2012 State of Origin series

In 2013, McGuire was selected as 18th man for Queensland in Game 3 of the 2013 State of Origin series

Based on that information it seems fairly logical to conclude that McGuires primary aspiration, for the last few years at least, has been to represent Australia and / or Queensland, I also seem to remember an article earlier on in the year that stated he only decided to play for Samoa in this years Four Nations tournament after narrowly missing out on selection for the Kangaroos

Not knocking the guy, I'm just calling it as I see it, as for Taupau, although he did represent Toa Samoa at the 2013 RLWC & is obviously of Samoan decent, he was actually born in Auckland & is also a former Junior Kiwis Captain, as for the other 3 you mention, well I can't be sure because you haven't named them, but I think I can take a stab in the dark on at least one of them, Taumalolo, if so then again his story is similar to that of Taupau, former Junior Kiwi of Tongan decent who has represented Tonga, born Mangere, South Auckland

With all that being said, the purpose of my initial post was not to bag Mcguire or spark a debate on International Rugby League's piss poor eligibility rules, I was simply stating that IMO a few more Samoan players possibly warranted selection in the 2014 Four Nations Team of the Tournament, (eg: Godinet, Leilua) but as far as that article was concerned the only Samoan player they felt warranted selection is a player who was born & raised in Australia, who for the last few years previous to 2014 has been 18th man for the Morons

Not to come off as racist, but to further elaborate on my point, the Samoan player they selected, just so happens to look about as Polynesian as I do Pakeha, makes a bro like me go hmmm :D

Last edited: