Internationals Kiwi v England 2018 Denver, USA

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
yea i agree with this. Eastern europe seen as a hunting ground for hard bastards not long ago. Also there is south america where they cant all like clutching their ankles while having a sook on the ground. And lastly what about South Africa, why has it never taken off there?

SA was all about politics- if you think Union is bad for stomping down league in NZ the saffas were worse.
Would be interesting to see how the Argies would go at league, they have some tough bastards same with the likes of Georgia and Romania etc

Reactions: 2 users
SA was all about politics- if you think Union is bad for stomping down league in NZ the saffas were worse.
Would be interesting to see how the Argies would go at league, they have some tough bastards same with the likes of Georgia and Romania etc
Article on South Africa here:
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/south-africa-is-rugby-union-running-scared-of-league/
What Rugby Union has done to prevent Rugby League from taking off in many countries borders on the criminal. It's not that long ago but in UK if you played League even as an amateur you were banned from Union allegedly because of it's association with professionalism. I went to a union playing school (posh lad me;)) in a league playing area and lads getting to 18 had to make a choice between school first XV or the local league club

Reactions: 4 users
You think any will this week? Just seen their flight has been cancelled. Not expected back now until late Wednesday...
There was a lot of debate on the issues with this game. Things like playing at altitude, backing up etc. I can't recall if anyone listed the possibility of the flight back being delayed making backing up even more difficult.

Typical of the way the whole organisation of the game that the final part of it in bringing the players back also has an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Targeting countries that have an existing rugby union presence is a good move in my mind.

The players and fans are already half way there in countries like South Africa, Argentina, France, Japan etc and just need to see the light aka a quality live game or two.

If it was me, I'd take some games to Japan. They have money, lots of people, facilities and it's not too far away.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Targeting countries that have an existing rugby union presence is a good move in my mind.

The players and fans are already half way there in countries like South Africa, Argentina, France, Japan etc and just need to see the light aka a quality live game or two.

If it was me, I'd take some games to Japan. They have money, lots of people, facilities and it's not too far away.

Only problem with Japan is their teams tend to get stacked with expats that weren’t quite good enough in their homelands with a few token locals. Sure the money is great but I’m not sure how much growth player wise you’d get.

Only problem with Japan is their teams tend to get stacked with expats that weren’t quite good enough in their homelands with a few token locals. Sure the money is great but I’m not sure how much growth player wise you’d get.

I'd be sending Shaun Johnson all over Asia promoting touch/tag/league if I were the NRL. If you get even a small amount of the population interested, that's a huge amount of people.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah that was bad but he did try and snap Chase's (I think) ankle a few years back too so its not new to him that stuff.
I was just rewatching the Youtube clip of it this morning. He tried to break his whole leg with a big twist and bend. Wiki must take some credit for that, though. He called for Rangi Chase's blood to be spilt for betraying NZ to play for England. What made it all worse was that Rangi is Luke's cousin.

Reactions: 1 users

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Kapow and staff still stuck in Denver lol. Fuck the NZRL are a complete joke...

Kapow delay.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Kapow and staff still stuck in Denver lol. Fuck the NZRL are a complete joke...
A joke maybe, but I'm not sure how the NZRL could have foreseen multiple plane delays?
They could have done more I suppose and investigated United's maintenance schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

bruce

Contributor
I'm not sure how the NZRL could have foreseen multiple plane delays?
It is called contingency planning. Just like the NRL planned the Magic Weekend for Brisbane without checking if Suncorp was available. A lot of league administrators are muppets.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
New NZRL CEO been in job 2 weeks has just identified with this debacle
1. Sack travel agent
2. Sack NZRL staff who went to Denver
3. Schedule a test against Tonga at Eden Park
4. Employ an experienced Organiser
5. Employ a cleaner/singer

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
A joke maybe, but I'm not sure how the NZRL could have foreseen multiple plane delays?
They could have done more I suppose and investigated United's maintenance schedule.

The problem is that the English NRL guys were back here as soon as possible. On the plane after the game. That night by the sounds of it. And straight back here to recover. NZRL must have wanted the cheaper flights later the next day. Cant expect the unexpected but you can at least minimize the risks of staying in the US any longer than you have too.

Sounds like the reason the Kiwi players came back at different times was due to the agreement for all players to fly business class there and back.

That teamed with the weather restrictions meant that there was a real lack of options.

Can't believe Taupau only left last night.