Internationals Kiwi Team for October test

scottyb_old

Eels, Cowboys added to Kiwis squad
Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 8:01 PM

New Zealand selectors has added another six players to their train-on squad to prepare for the end-of-season Tests against Australia, Great Britain and France.

After North Queensland and Parramatta were eliminated from the NRL finals series, the selectors announced Cowboys hooker David Faiumu had been chosen to join the squad along with the Eels trio of captain Nathan Cayless, fellow prop Fuifui Moimoi and utility back Krisnan Inu.

Another two players - centre Shontayne Hape and winger Tame Tupou - also join the train-on group after their Bradford side was knocked out of the English Super League play-offs by Wigan on Friday night.

Players named in the squad so far are: Louis Anderson (Warriors), Vinnie Anderson (Warrington), Roy Asotasi (South Sydney), Nathan Cayless (Parramatta), Rangi Chase (St George Illawarra), Luke Covell (Cronulla), Greg Eastwood (Brisbane), David Faiumu (North Queensland), Nathan Fien (Warriors), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Shontayne Hape (Bradford), Bronson Harrison (Wests Tigers), Lance Hohaia (Warriors), Krisnan Inu (Parramatta), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Sydney Roosters), David Kidwell (South Sydney), Epalahame Lauaki (Warriors), Issac Luke (South Sydney), Simon Mannering (Warriors), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters), Frank Pritchard (Penrith), Sam Rapira (Warriors), Ben Roberts (Bulldogs), Jeremy Smith (South Sydney), Chase Stanley (St George Illawarra), Ben Teb'o (Wests Tigers), Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), Evarn Tuimavave (Warriors), Tame Tupou (Bradford), Matt Utai (Bulldogs), Cooper Vuna (Newcastle), Jake Webster (Gold Coast), Paul Whatuira (Wests Tigers).

Source: AAP

lets hope now fui fui has been chosen he chooses us over them

Viking_old

Yep could use him now Sonny Bill's out, what was the story behind the passport bungle?

Didn't Bluey say he was still in the picture last year when the ESL players were grumbling about turning out for Samoa if they kept getting overlooked? What's his form been like?

commonsense_old

yeh surprised solomona didnt get picked. i havent seen him play for awhile but he was awesome in the tri-nations b4 last.

looks like moimoi chose the black and white jersey!

i assume our starting props will be
cayless and asotasi
with rapira and moimoi as our bench props.

thats a very strong and good looking set of frontrowers.

our backrow tho raises a few questions. normally our backrow is deadly but now im not so sure. with sbw out and kidwell only playing 4 games all season. eastwood has been hot and cold, faalogo is suspended, tony puletua has started to decline, pritchard is hot and cold too. jeremy smith from the storm is playing well tho. lauaki has been in good form too. maybe hape or mannering might join the forward pack.

im sure whoever is chosen will play their skins out but im just a little concerned thats all.

Kav_old

I think Jeremy Smith from the Storm will be a bolter on the bench. Versatile (he has played centre for the Storm) and tough, he will also be match fit.

Kav

Shaunie_old

this is my team
1.Sam Perrett (ofcourse with webb)
2.Taniela Tuiaki(a big strong guy you will rip you to shreads on the wing)
3. Krisnan Inu(one of the most tallanted new kids around)
4.Paul Whatuira(the extra talent in the center that we need)
5.Luke Covell(a very good pick up for the kiwis with vatuvei out)
6.Chase Stanley(again a new young talent in the nrl
7.Lance Hohaia(no other choise really with jones out)
8.Roy Asotasi(i am going to put roy as the captain with wiki and jones both out)
9.Nathan Fien,Dene Halatau(hard to pick in the starting out of the two)
10.Nathan Cayless(the big parramatta forward and captain is perfect)
11.David Kidwell(the veteran back from a knee injury should be a booster)
12.Frank Pritchard (the penrith forward is strong and a try scorer
13.Greg Eastwood (he is a big strong bronco boy with alot of potential
14.Shontayne Hape(he is the bradford center that is very good in his good form
15.Simon Mannering(put simon on the bench for starters and put him starting early in the game
16. Cooper Vuna (after leaving the warriors he is been a great player all year)
17. David Faiumu (a bit if icspearrence for the bench
that is my team i would start if iwas the coach

Jesbass_old

this is my team
8.Roy Asotasi(i am going to put roy as the captain with wiki and jones both out)
15.Simon Mannering(put simon on the bench for starters and put him starting early in the game

Just a couple of thoughts, Shaunie.

Nathan Cayless has been ruled out through injury, following a very dodgy tackle by the Storm.

And if you plan on having both Whatuira and Tuiaki play, put them together, (2 and 3, or 4 and 5), as they play together at club level and would have some sort of understanding with each other.

blain91_old

chase stanley is a centre/wing, i think you mean rangi chase. the bench will have 3 second rowers/props, and a hooker. theres no real point putting a winger on the bench. other than that, i would think thats close.

Shaunie_old

sorry i got confused there sorry about that.rangi chase yes 5/8th .watuira and tuiaki 2,3

Viking_old

this is my team

The props will be dead by the end of the game!

Kidwell will be lucky to make the bench, a sure-thing for starting 2nd rower if he was match-fit though.

Hape should be the starting centre, he's too good to be on the bench and with Inu on his wing. Whatuira could be pointing Tuiaki to the tryline if he's 100%. Otherwise Manmering will be Tuiaki's centre and if Mannering starts at centre, Whats won't be in the side. Covell or Perret at fullback most likely.

Roy will be starting prop and captain unless Kidwell starts (unlikely). I don't think they'll start Rapira because I can't see them going with two small props but he'll definately be on the bench. I can see them giving Luaki a bench spot too because he could cover as fourth prop as well as 2nd row and will probably be giving Pritchard a rest. Eastwood will be the utility on the bench. I'm not sure about the other starting prop but Fui most likely.

Faiumu would always be my starting hooker with Issac Luke on the bench. Faiumu has been playing a fast loose forward role. Halatau is a utility and Eastwood is the better utility so there wouldn't be room for Dene.

Cooper doesn't deserve a Kiwi's spot, but he will be playing in the A's.

1. Sam Perrett / Covell
2. Krisnan Inu
3. Shontayne Hape
4. Paul Whatuira
5. Taniela Tuiaki
6. Rangi Chase
7. Lance Hohaia
8. Roy Asotasi
9. David Faiumu
10. Fuifui Moimoi
11. Simon Mannering
12. Frank Pritchard
13. Louis Anderson
14. Sam Rapira
15. Hame Luaki
16. Greg Eastwood
17. Issac Luke

Jeremy Smith (Storm) is my dark horse/bolter

Viking_old

A lot of people won't like Lance at halfback but he plays much better in a black jersey and although Rangi can and will do the kicking, he'll need Lance's experience. My biggest fear is Lance playing his own game instead of sticking to the overall game plan.

Chase is the key to winning this game.

jahc_old

Jeez, is Matai playing his way into a test jersey or what... first that massive hit on White, then he scores a great try just before the end of the first half.. Lets see what he can do in the 2nd half!

kiwi man_old

1.K. Inu
2.T. Tuiaki
3.S. Hape
4.S. Matai
5.T. Tupou
6.R. Chase
7.B. Roberts
8.S. Rapira
9.N. Fien
10.R. Asotasi
11.S. Mannering
12.F. Pritchard
13.L. Anderson

14.L. Hohaia
15.F. Moimoi
16.E. Tuimivave
17.E. Lauaki

daj3_old

Possible team, given recent team announcements. (Not that I like it...)

1) Krisnan Inu (Parramatta) (Covell as backup)
2) Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers)
3) Paul Whatuira (Wests Tigers)
4) Steve Matai (Manly)
5) Chase Stanley (St George-Illawarra)
6) Ben Roberts (Bulldogs)
7) Jeremy Smith (South Sydney)
8) Roy Asotasi (captain, South Sydney)
9) David Faiumu (North Queensland)
10) Jeff Lima (Melbourne)
11) Frank Pritchard (Penrith)
12) Jeremy Smith (Melbourne)
13) Louis Anderson (Warriors)
14) Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers)
15) Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta)
16) Sam Rapira (Warriors)
17) Simon Mannering (Warriors)

I assume given the lack of back rowers named, that Mannering will be on the bench to cover at 2nd row, as well as centre wing.

Jeff Lima starting, although wouldn't be suprised if Rapira does. That would be a pairing of two smaller props though.

What's going on with hookers? Was there a typo? I didn't see Nathan Fein anywhere? I would have liked to see Faiumu or Halatau as cover on the bench with Fein starting. Is he still not quite eligible or something?

And that halves pairing... ugh... the selectors need to start taking some gambles.

I only put Whats in for his partnership with TT, Hape could easily be picked ahead of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

blain91_old

trust me, covell is not a fullback. he is to slow and not explosive at all. not bad on the wing though. i reckon its going to be
inu
tuiaki
whats
matai/hape if matai injured.
covell
roberts
smith
asotasi
halatua
rapira
pritchard
smith
mannering

faimu
moimoi
lima
anderson.

where the hell is luke!!?

Viking_old

trust me, covell is not a fullback. he is to slow and not explosive at all. not bad on the wing though. i reckon its going to be
inu
tuiaki
whats
matai/hape if matai injured.
covell
roberts
smith
asotasi
halatua
rapira
pritchard
smith
mannering

faimu
moimoi
lima
anderson.

where the hell is luke!!?

Gotta second that, good one selectors - don't pick an outstanding hooker when you can stick a utility in that position. Hopefully Faiumu starts at 9.