Internationals Kiwi Team for October test

mac_old

As we are nearing the finals players will drop in and out of Kiwi contention. With a new selection panel and coach it's going to make things interesting as to who they pick for the October test. I saw an article on TVNZ website yesterday stating that the new kiwi coach may want to go back to a style of player that can beat a man with skill rather than bash as has happened over recent years. But do we have such players?
Who would you pick? I don't really keep an eye on the ESL so my picks are really based around what I see of the NRL. Here's my 17.

1. Perett (Webb if available)
2. Tuiaki
3. Inu
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
6. Rangi Chase (Roberts makes to many crucial errors under presure)
7. Marshall (playing poorly, but no one else. Don't rate Smith at this level)
8. Asotasi
9. Fein
10. Cayless
11. Kidwell (if hes back)
12. Fa'alogo
13. SBW

14. Rapira
15. Pritchard
16. Luakai
17. Issac Luke

Kav_old

As we are nearing the finals players will drop in and out of Kiwi contention. With a new selection panel and coach it's going to make things interesting as to who they pick for the October test. I saw an article on TVNZ website yesterday stating that the new kiwi coach may want to go back to a style of player that can beat a man with skill rather than bash as has happened over recent years. But do we have such players?
Who would you pick? I don't really keep an eye on the ESL so my picks are really based around what I see of the NRL. Here's my 17.

2. Tuiaki
3. Inu
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
8. Asotasi
9. Fein
10. Cayless
12. Fa'alogo
13. SBW

14. Rapira
15. Pritchard
16. Luakai
17. Issac Luke

Who else is in the running?
I can name the following:
Luke Covell
Greg Eastwood
Adam Blair
Puletua bros
Jeremy Smith (Storm)
Wairangi Koopu
Dene Halatau
Faiumu (Cowboys)
Daryl Millard (Bulldogs)
Steve Matai (doubtful)
Kenny-Dow (Roosters)
Paul Whaturia
Cooper Vuna!!

I also had a feeling that Reni Maitua had kiwi connections??!!

Kav

blain91_old

moimoi
sa
ben te'o
talonoa

we have a fair bit of depth now. matiua played for oz im pretty sure.

MarkW_old

Maitua is an Aussie - played for 'em already. (I think his Dad lived in NZ for a while or something)

I wonder if the new selectors will choose semi-dinkum Aussies now, ie. Webb and Fien?

Will Fauuumuinaaaaaaaaa get another chance to wear the Kiwi jumper?!

commonsense_old

2. Tuiaki
3. Inu
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
8. Asotasi
9. Fein
10. Cayless
12. Fa'alogo
13. SBW

14. Rapira
15. Pritchard
16. Luakai
17. Issac Luke

i actually like that team. but even if kidwell is back he has to be playing some outstanding football to be in the side. i would have eastwood replacing kidwell playing lock with sbw in the 2ndrow.

vatuvei and tuiaki.... now that is scary!!

im pretty sure the team would look something like that but the halves for now i reckon are blank. 4 halves who have their own right to the kiwi jerseys....

benji - my fav player!! everyone knows what he can do when he is at his confident best. however, he is far from it at the moment coming back from such a long injury. hopefully the tigers can make the top 8 so benji can get more gametime and get himself back into form.

ben roberts - he as been a little inconsistent for the bulldogs this season. he has shown glimpses of great play but has also shown a fair few errors. but i rate this guy's long kicking game as one of the best in the NRL along side with lockyer. over the years the kiwis struggled in their general kicking game, even general stacey didnt have the biggest boot on him. i think for his huge kicking game roberts should be in the side somewhere.

jeremy smith - i think he should be our halfback if benji is not in form by the end of the season. he has done a pretty good job leading the bunnies around. he is a no frills kind of halfback which could be what the kiwis need.

rangi chase - he has been in sizzling form lately. if he is not picked in the halves he must be picked at hooker or at least back up hooker.

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

Put it this way there are a lot of options now, heres my 17

1 Inu
2 Tuiaki
3 whatuira
4 Mannering
5 Vatuvei
6 Roberts
7 Marshall
8 Rapira
9 Fien
10 Asotasi
11 Kidwell
12 Fa'alogo
13 SB Williams

14 Dene Halatau
15 N Cayless
16 Lauaki
17 Pritchard

MiXmasterreece_old

okay, well id look at :

1. Perett
2. Tuiaki
3. Inu
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
6. Rangi Chase
7. Marshall
8. Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Cayless
11. Pritchard
12. Fa'alogo
13. SBW

14. Issac Luke
15. Eastwood
16. Luakai
17. Rapira

18. MoiMoi
19. Roberts

Joe 90_old

Are SL players available for this test? If so:

Webb
Tuiaki
Inu
Matai
Stanley
Rangi Chase
Roberts
Paleassina
Halatau
Asotasi
SBW
Jeremy Smith
Mannering

Moimoi
N.Cayless
Pritchard
Luke

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkW_old

okay, well id look at :

1. Perett
2. Tuiaki
3. Inu
4. Mannering
5. Vatuvei
6. Rangi Chase
7. Marshall
8. Asotasi
9. Faiumu
10. Cayless
11. Pritchard
12. Fa'alogo
13. SBW

14. Issac Luke
15. Eastwood
16. Luakai
17. Rapira

18. MoiMoi
19. Roberts

I'd pretty much go with that squad but include Webb and Hape if they are available.

It'd be good to see Kidwell back in the black jersey, but even if he has recovered by then he probably won't be match fit... fingers crossed though.

Kav_old

My team would be:

Perret
Vatuvei
Mannering
Inu
Talanoa
Marshall
Chase
Assotasi
Luke (pure inspiration and tough as they come)
Cayless
Pritchard
Faalogo
Williams

Koopu (Mr Versatility)
Rapira
Blair
Eastwood

18th man Kidwell (for team spirit)

Viking_old

Was Webb a NZ citizen or resident? Can he still be picked if he doesn't reside here. Tuiaki on one wing and Manu on the other then 2 centres with good defence and the ball would stay close to the middle. In fact bring back "bell ringer" Meli, he's in good form as well.

MarkW_old

Was Webb a NZ citizen or resident? Can he still be picked if he doesn't reside here. Tuiaki on one wing and Manu on the other then 2 centres with good defence and the ball would stay close to the middle. In fact bring back "bell ringer" Meli, he's in good form as well.

It's a odd situation with Webb. I don't know if the International RL laws requires a player to return to his country of residence within a certain timeframe or not.
If it were decided that he was ineligle, you would think he'd be in some sort of international limbo given the rules about switching countries.

The way I see it is that Webb has qualified under the international league regulations and therefore made an allegiance to NZ. If he chose to represent another country he would have to wait out the stand down period (is it 3 years still?).

I just hope the NZRL get clarification on his status well before the test match to avoid another 'Fien debacle'.

jahc_old

Dont pick Kidwell! He's a great player, but he'll be shit with only a handful of games under his belt after being out for months and months. Can you say... rust? Can you say.. no match fitness??!?! Half the reason the Aussies always waste us is because of our fitness! I cant believe we havent learned that lesson yet after years of picking guys coming back from long injurys.

I'd say Inu should be picked over Webb at the moment. Inu is playing great this year, and hes doing it in the tougher competition.

jahc_old

Does Tuiaki consider himself a New Zealander? Man, he would be a gun player to bring into our side! Also, whats the story on Fui Fui Moi Moi? Those two dudes are about the two hardest players to stop in the NRL!

MarkW_old

Does Tuiaki consider himself a New Zealander? Man, he would be a gun player to bring into our side! Also, whats the story on Fui Fui Moi Moi? Those two dudes are about the two hardest players to stop in the NRL!

Tuiaki was born in Auckland and grew up here, so yeah he's Kiwi eligible (as well as being Tongan). He was invited over to Oz to play union but never got very far. Royce Simmons spotted him playing park footy in 2004 and decided to give him a shot.
He also flats with Moi Moi apparently.