General Kiwi RL players nicknames

Kav_old

"Skippy" O'Donnell went to my school, Marist Brothers Greymouth (as did Butch Coll).

How about "Moose"?
(Hint - prop originally from the coast but played his senior football in Wellington - a kiwi from 1966 to 1971).

Incidentally, everyone on the coast had a nickname - if you didn't, you were a bit weird (ie a nerd in today's lingo).

Kav

playdaball_old

"Skippy" O'Donnell went to my school, Marist Brothers Greymouth (as did Butch Coll).

How about "Moose"?
(Hint - prop originally from the coast but played his senior football in Wellington - a kiwi from 1966 to 1971).

Incidentally, everyone on the coast had a nickname - if you didn't, you were a bit weird (ie a nerd in today's lingo).

Kav

You like to make it hard for a guy like me who was only just born around that time...

What about Moose Smith?

Who was Sticks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kav_old

Moose Smith it was.
Don't know "sticks" - I suspect he had pins for legs!!
Take a guess on Shane Varley.

How about another two Marist Old Boys - Mocky and Ginger (both outside backs)

Kav

playdaball_old

Mocky was Mocky Brereton. I'll take a punt on Ginger and say Ray Baxendale.

You are right about Sticks having skinny pins. He played in the forwards during Lowie's era (was one of Lowie's Otahuhu 'boys')and had a brother who also played for the Kiwis.

Kav_old

Yeah Maurice (Mocky) Brereton is right.
Graham (Ginger) Kennedy was the other name I was after. He was one hell of a centre - steady as a rock and astute distibutor of the ball. In fact, Mocky (who was a convert from union) owed most of his development to the prowess of Ginger Kennedy (unfortunately now deceased).

The only nickname that Ray Baxendale ever got was "Baxi". I remember he was a Runanga lad (coal mining town) and he terrorised us midgets in the early schoolboy days.

The only forward I can think of with a Kiwi brother who may fit the bill is Mark Horo.

Here's a toughie for you - "Inky" (a one off Kiwi from Canterbury 1964)

playdaball_old

Sticks - Another clue - He is now a commentator with Allen Mac, his brother was a fullback and his name starts with O.

As for Inky ... John Bray? (I'm cheating by using one of Bernie Wood's NZRL annuals). Why did the NZRL ever stop these books??

Kav_old

Sticks - Another clue - He is now a commentator with Allen Mac, his brother was a fullback and his name starts with O.

As for Inky ... John Bray? (I'm cheating by using one of Bernie Wood's NZRL annuals). Why did the NZRL ever stop these books??

I would never have thought that Owen Wright had pins for legs - he must have filled out since then.

Not John Bray - close but no cigar (same year, same province, similar story)
I think this guy could kick goals and was renowned for flexing his fingers when
addressing the ball.

As for Bernie's annuals; I didn't know he had stopped - though I haven't seen them in the shops for a while. I'll have to ask him . I thought these annuals were his own initiative so perhaps he got tired of doing them or they weren't worth producing. He must have spent many hours researching and writing. Bernie is quite a character really - he once organised a trans-Tasman sporting weekend in the 1990's (union, league, horse racing and netball I think), bringing out the Dallas Cheergirls to strut their stuff, and he once staged a prelude dinner (for the Wellington Galloping Cup) at the plush Michael Fowler Centre where the guest of honour was that fabulous galloper, Bonecrusher. He actually had the horse up on the stage! He has also written a major book on the past winners of the NZ Trotting Cup.
Kav

playdaball_old

GH Turner - who ever that may be?

I was sure that Bernie got 'shafted' by the NZRL who wanted to bring our their own annuals. Please ask him. A few years ago I got some back copies for him that went back to the 70s, 80s as well as some from the 90s.

I'll swing this chair around and have a look at Bernie's Annuals that I have:

Great reading and good for referencing once in a while. I'd love to fill the gaps.

Jesbass_old

While it's not an annual, Bernie Wood is working on a new book...

https://forum.nzwarrior.com/showthread.php?t=9618

"The Kiwis 1907 - 2006: 100 years of international rugby league" by John Coffee and Bernie Wood.

This is the title of the of the new book to be released next year. It contains the names of all our Kiwis, 728 of them as at the start of 2006, with over 400 pages and over 300 photos it promises to be a very good book.

Anyone interested will need to send a $10 (with the balance being $38) deposit to Bernie Wood (message me for his address)

I'll be getting my copy as a true Kiwi fan.

Kav_old

GH Turner - who ever that may be?

I was sure that Bernie got 'shafted' by the NZRL who wanted to bring our their own annuals. Please ask him. A few years ago I got some back copies for him that went back to the 70s, 80s as well as some from the 90s.

I'll swing this chair around and have a look at Bernie's Annuals that I have:

Great reading and good for referencing once in a while. I'd love to fill the gaps.

The guy was Ian "Inky" Drayton.

Iv'e got three annuals that you haven't got (1982, 1990, 1991). Send me your address (PM if you want) and I will send to you.

Kav

Northern_Union

You guys are killing me, i'm in the new brigade of rugby league history but i can't foot it with you guys on these nik names.