General Kidwell To coach Souths NYC team in 2010

edguy_old

https://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26103469-5016683,00.html

South Sydney have appointed David Kidwell as their under-20s coach for the 2010 season.
The former Melbourne Storm forward will take over the role from Daniel Irvine, who has stepped down due to other work commitments.

Kidwell finished his playing career at Souths this year and says he is looking forward to moving into coaching.

“I'm really looking forward to working with the young players we have at the Rabbitohs and helping them to develop into future NRL stars for the club,” Kidwell said in a statement.

“It's important to prepare these players for the step up into the NRL as best we can and I'm looking forward to that challenge.

“I'm glad that I can stay involved with South Sydney and rugby league, and put something back into the game now that my playing days are behind me.”

Kidwell, who also played for Adelaide, Parramatta and Sydney Roosters during his career, made 25 Test appearances for New Zealand and was a member of last year's World Cup winning squad.

good move by souths ..
think he ll make a terrific coach , and another possible kiwis coach in the future ???..He always played with passion in that black and white jersey .good luck to yuh Kiddy

mrblonde_old

Good luck to him, but I think the ratio of great players (he was good once...) who become great coaches isn't all that crash hot. I mean, Daniel Anderson didn't even really start a fire in the entrance let alone burn the house down as a player but he's proving himself to be a good coach and Mark Graham comes to mind as the opposite, for example.
Probably a topic for a thread at some point. Is it just that a lot of great players have a "I did it, why can't you?" attitude? Or something in the water/milk/VB/Fosters/Lion Red...

2big2strong_old

Same with all the best coaches...

Wayne Bennett - Played for Australia but he was only a winger!
Craig Bellamy - The forgotten player of the Green Machine's hey day.
Tim Sheens - Was a Prop for the Panthers remember? No neither do I. (I wasn't even born)

After Wally Lewis failed in his Captain-Coach role at the Gold coast in the early 90's the QLD media labelled him 'MINIBUS', because he 'wasn't quite a coach!'

commonsense_old

i always thought monty betham would be a good coach. very disciplined stern guy off the field.

Jesbass_old

Good luck to him, but I think the ratio of great players (he was good once...) who become great coaches isn't all that crash hot. I mean, Daniel Anderson didn't even really start a fire in the entrance let alone burn the house down as a player but he's proving himself to be a good coach and Mark Graham comes to mind as the opposite, for example.
Probably a topic for a thread at some point. Is it just that a lot of great players have a "I did it, why can't you?" attitude? Or something in the water/milk/VB/Fosters/Lion Red...

My understanding was that Anderson never played the game - not for a salary, anyway. That's what the New Zealand newspapers were raving about in 2002.

kingkole_old

Phill gould was the youngest 1st grade captain at penrith and a pretty good coach-but yes there hve been a few flops as noted in other post.

MarkW_old

I hope Kidwell suceeds in a coaching role... time will tell.

To his advantage, David has experienced numerous coaching styles from some of the very best in guys like Craig Bellamy to the worst *cough* Gary Kemble *cough*. So, he'll have a pretty good idea of what goes into creating a winning environment/culture for his team.

Good luck, Mr. K.

JonB_old

I could see him doing well with U20's as a mentoring type of role, someone that they would play hard for, rather than a diciplinarian or a technically good coach.