Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Kevin Iro

Kevin Iro 1998 2

Kevin Iro should claim Royalties on that nickname the beast.

But then it would also follow that Kev and Manu owe Lucifer some Royalty payments if your gonna get picky about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bruce and gREVUS
mode81

mode81

What about the Cooks manager Kevin Iro? ...the original "Beast"..

One of the most fiercest competitors to ever play the game, last time Kiwis beat Kangaroos in the Anzac Test in 98' Kevin Iro played a blinder for the Kiwis, his whole career he was a great player for Wigan, Manly and Kiwis, Tony was a good player but Kevin had that killer instinct mentality, big man huge presence on the field

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
What about the Cooks manager Kevin Iro? ...the original "Beast"..

One of the most fiercest competitors to ever play the game, last time Kiwis beat Kangaroos in the Anzac Test in 98' Kevin Iro played a blinder for the Kiwis, his whole career he was a great player for Wigan, Manly and Kiwis, Tony was a good player but Kevin had that killer instinct mentality, big man huge presence on the field
The real beast.

I'll never forget his first game for the Kiwis I saw , it was against Queensland , I used to have that game on VHS.

The commentators " This Kevin eyerow is something to behold "

He ripped Queensland a new one while Aurthur Beetson and Wayne Bennet looked sour and dour in the stands.
Mark Graham was in an Interview after that game ( he wasn't available for the upcoming clash with Australia )

They asked him what his thoughts were re New Zealand V Aussie after the shocking defeat at the hands of the Kumuls weeks earlier

" PLay hard "

Reactions: mt.wellington

warriorsfan92

Looks like kayal iro has signed with Newcastle. He looked the goods. Any more info on this guy? Tony’s kid isn’t he?

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Looks like kayal iro has signed with Newcastle. He looked the goods. Any more info on this guy? Tony’s kid isn’t he?
Another good rookie player gone? This is a shame - he was a nice, rounded kid too.

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Well they already beat us and it wasnt them getting the shit treatment from the refs.... u probably remember that one. Cost graham lowe his job from memory.
Spears thrown onto the feild so the story goes.

Can't blame any Ref for helping the home side along with that going on.

First game after that Kevin Iro debuted aged 18 vs Queensland and tore them to shreds, then they beat Australia.

I remember Mark Graham bring asked before the test what advice he would give to the Kiwis (he had just retired) "play hard" was all he said.

Reactions: bruce and Defence
bruce

bruce

Contributor
First game after that Kevin Iro debuted aged 18 vs Queensland
What an enigma of a player kvin Iro was. At his best the greatest on the planet, just unstoppable...most of the time he wasn't like that though.

I remember him scoring an end to end try at Brookvale, starting from his in goal. He never even thought of forcing it for a drop out, he picked it up and ran across the in goal.

He just kept running and fending off players, and scored under the posts at the other end. Breathtaking skill. I cannot find it on YouTube though.

Horriors2013

Horriors2013

What an enigma of a player kvin Iro was. At his best the greatest on the planet, just unstoppable...most of the time he wasn't like that though.

I remember him scoring an end to end try at Brookvale, starting from his in goal. He never even thought of forcing it for a drop out, he picked it up and ran across the in goal.

He just kept running and fending off players, and scored under the posts at the other end. Breathtaking skill. I cannot find it on YouTube though.
I can't find it either. I always felt as a kid that players who made their name in the UK were soft on defence. You had your exceptions like Hanley but generally it's what let NZ and GB down.

Reactions: bruce
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I can't find it either. I always felt as a kid that players who made their name in the UK were soft on defence. You had your exceptions like Hanley but generally it's what let NZ and GB down.
There was nothing wrong with Kevin Iro on defence or attack, when he was on his game.
That was in England, Aussie or Internationals.
However the lower standard in England, and that he was playing for Wigan made him look a flat track bully.
He was not a flat track bully, he could mix it with the best, when he felt like it.
Like I said, a total enigma....but heyzeuss some farking enigma.

Reactions: francis
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
There was nothing wrong with Kevin Iro on defence or attack, when he was on his game.
That was in England, Aussie or Internationals.
However the lower standard in England, and that he was playing for Wigan made him look a flat track bully.
He was not a flat track bully, he could mix it with the best, when he felt like it.
Like I said, a total enigma....but heyzeuss some farking enigma.
To be fair, he had some great moments playing for Manly.

Reactions: bruce
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
51. KEVIN IRO
Last update

Iro was previously living in Arorangi, Cook Islands and listed as the Commissioner of Cook Islands Rugby League.

The Beast is still in Rarotonga and works with the Government on the Cook Island Marine Park (CIMP) Committee. Part of that is visiting schools and teaching kids the importance of protecting marine life.

Recently he was awarded a prestigious Seacology prize which honours exceptional achievement in preserving island environments and culture. Iro helped create the Marae Moana marine reserve which protects the Cook Islands exclusive economic zone from foreign fisheries. With over 1 million square kilometers of ocean it is the worlds largest marine reserve and comparable with the size of Mexico.

League legend Kevin Iro behind world's largest marine park in Cook Islands' exclusive zone​

By Kelvin McDonald Whakaata Māori
19 Sep, 2022 12:00 PM
LIfe's a beach for former league star Kevin Iro. Photo / Whakaata Māori

LIfe's a beach for former league star Kevin Iro. Photo / Whakaata Māori

Former Kiwis league star Kevin Iro has won a prestigious Seacology prize which honours exceptional achievement in preserving island environments and culture.

Iro, who has Cook Islands whakapapa and lives there with his whānau, has been recognised for creating the largest multi-use marine park in the world, Marae Moana. It extends over the entire exclusive economic zone of the Cook Islands, an area of 1.9 million square kilometres, the Marae Moana website says.

Iro grew up in Auckland and says that from the age of 7 or 8 his whānau started going to the Cook Islands for the school holidays and he "fell in love with the place".

"I moved back with my family, I noticed the change," Iro told non-profit environmental organisation Conservation International.

"When I was young the lagoon was just vibrant. There were so many colours, all the coral was alive.

"As the years went by, I'd say to my family 'there's something wrong out there'."

Iro came up with the marine park concept about two or three years ago. He says the Pacific accounts for 60 per cent of the world's tuna catch and this is having a major impact.

Kevin Iro had a long rugby league career in New Zealand, Australia and England. Photo / Facebook
Kevin Iro had a long rugby league career in New Zealand, Australia and England. Photo / Facebook

"Our small fishermen, their catches over the last 20 years have gone from quite substantial catches to virtually none. The Cook Islands marine park can make those stocks grow."

With Marae Moana, the aim is to be inclusive and "bring in every person that has anything to do with the ocean," he says.

Conservation International has come on board as a key partner and scientists, local leaders and the community are all involved.

"We're looking at a zone approach, whether they be no-fishing zones, commercial fishing zones, zones for tourism activity."

Iro says they want to use the internet and social media in "a big way" and make it an "open source" marine park.

"People from around the world can play an interactive part in seeing where fishing vessels are fishing."

Iro has every belief Moana Marae will succeed.

"I'm an optimist, I'm positive it's going to work. I think the idea is going to spread through the Pacific," he says.

The Seacology prize ceremony honouring Iro will be held online in October.

Iro is also coaching his sons league team...

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Tony was a good player but Kevin had that killer instinct mentality,
IMO other way around, Tony had the mongrel and focus, Kevin just had talent to burn. An absolute amazing talent. On his day he could make Manu Vatuvei look ordinary. I cannot think of a player who could stand him up in his prime.

Reactions: mt.wellington
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
IMO other way around, Tony had the mongrel and focus, Kevin just had talent to burn. An absolute amazing talent. On his day he could make Manu Vatuvei look ordinary. I cannot think of a player who could stand him up in his prime.
I agree.

Tony was a good player and very hard worker but didnt have half the toolbox his brother had. Kevin had more talent in his pinky finger than a lot of players of his day but it always seemed he would turn it on or off when he felt like it.

Extraordinarily talented he could do it all. The step, pace, vision, strength. Even watching old games now his skill still holds up. I'd compare him to Latrell Mitchell in the modern game but 100x more chilled. I know a lot of people don't like Mitchell but if you watch him very closely his micro movements and instinctiveness are just superb.

Growing up in a rugby loving family (and school, community, country etc) it was actually watching Kevin and Jarrod McCracken debut in 1987 that first got me into league. Back then the only league exposure we ever got was the 3 odd Kiwis games that were broadcast on national telly. McCracken was my first ever favourite player...