Player Ken Maumalo

His biggest downside is he is being developed by the worse developing club in the comp. His other downfall is he's not being developed in ISP as an attacking second rower...

Personally I'm completely not sold on Ken. Whether this is the result of the clubs development I am unsure. The trend I see with decent wings in the NRL is speed and skill. The mould of winger we produce is basically only beneficial to work the ball out of our own end on the first few tackles.

The issues that a shown in week in week out for Maumalo & Vatuvei are not something we should be banking on. Is there another NRL club with prop shaped wingers??

All due respect to Vatuvei and Maumalo but IMO nether of them should have a future at the club.

His biggest downside is he is being developed by the worse developing club in the comp. His other downfall is he's not being developed in ISP as an attacking second rower...

If you was in SK shoes is that what you'd do with him? Do you see potential for him to be a GOOD nrl player or not making the cut and moving him to ESL or another NRL club?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Maumalo can't be turned into a second rower either he's shown he hates tackling and has minimal ball playing ability.
As a winger he's had minimal ball playing ability but I assure you he has the skills. Anyone who has watched him during his ISP and NYC games would know that.

His defence is more indecision then hating tackling. Thats a problem that plagued the wingers of this club since 1995 and certainly not unique to Ken Maumalo.

Unless he is given a proper run in ISP under a competent coach we may as well rip up his contract or send him to another club that will be able to get the best out of him like the Titans , Bulldogs, Storm, Bronco... actually any club but the Warriors...

For me Ken is second row or bust. Reason: his lack of try-scoring ability and line-breaking ability. First-grade wingers HAVE to have a nack for scoring tries and I don't see that in Ken. He has a high work-rate which is good but he never looks like breaking the line or beating defenders like the Mansour's, Rapanas, Radradra's etc. This is also what separates him from Manu. Manu is a winger that's big. Ken is a big player playing on the wing.

The amount of sitters that Ken has put down tells me that he isn't comfortable on the wing. I'd rather have him on the edge as a backrower where we can utilise his size to run at opposition halves or hit holes. Who knows he might be that bench utility back we've been searching for? It's hard to believe that with all the talented wingers/centres we have in NZ that this is the best we can come up with, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.

As a winger he's had minimal ball playing ability but I assure you he has the skills. Anyone who has watched him during his ISP and NYC games would know that.

His defence is more indecision then hating tackling. Thats a problem that plagued the wingers of this club since 1995 and certainly not unique to Ken Maumalo.

Unless he is given a proper run in ISP under a competent coach we may as well rip up his contract or send him to another club that will be able to get the best out of him like the Titans , Bulldogs, Storm, Bronco... actually any club but the Warriors...

Agree with all your points would also say that he isnt a great tackler in NRL games maybe its fatigue from the higher intensity or just the players are stronger and harder to deal with

Reactions: Sup42
Who would you say the clubs worst failings are ?
I recon Tui and Ken would be at the top of the list. They (Cappy's regime) kept changing these blokes around.

Fusitua on the other hand Looks good now.

Winder what's happening with Sipley ?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Who would you say the clubs worst failings are ?
I recon Tui and Ken would be at the top of the list. They (Cappy's regime) kept changing these blokes around.

Fusitua on the other hand Looks good now.

Winder what's happening with Sipley ?
Toafofoa Sipley has been having injury setbacks. Once he gets that sorted he'll be a beast.

Posted about David Fusitua before but his development should be the textbook for all future development. Its great that we can all stand around and pat the guy on the back but it wasnt that long ago he was being called weak, soft and was also accused of being of being scared to tackle. Basically go back a few posts in Ken Maumalo's thread and thats exactly what was being said of Fusitua.

Fusitua's development has been a fluke IMO. His injuries saw Tuimoala Lolohea promoted in his place which forced Fusitua to play ISP. If it werent for that it would be Fusitua who people would be disparaging and saying he should be shipped to the UK. As its turned out Fusitua is now the man while Tui is no chance of being a 1st grader.

Same goes for Maumalo. Ken should not be developed as a wing and definitely not in 1st grade. The club are trying to manufacture the next Manu Vatuvei but Ken doesnt have the speed to be anywhere near as effective as Manu. You also cant force the production of someone like that. The Beast is a rarity. 110kg and could do 100m in sub 11 seconds. The club think they can get any tall Fijian and he'll be exactly like Semi Radradra.

Maumalo looks set to join the likes of Laurie Daly, Sam Lousi, Konrad Hurrell, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Agnatius Paasi, Nathaniel Peteru, Kevin Locke, David Bhana, Sebastine Ikhihifo, Siliva Havili and Raymond Faitala-Mariner as what could have beens. Thats only a list from memory of our most recent losses...

The club think they can get any tall Fijian and he'll be exactly like Semi Radradra.

Or pop over to Tonga set up camp and try to find the next big prop. Would you trust them to develop someone new to the game? Good grief. I've had relies pick Aussie clubs over the Warriors and move there. My mates 11 year old went back to Aussie a month ago. Shes happy for him to stay there and play league there she reckons manly is the way to go. Its a bit off topic but touches on what most people think of chances of development here and through the warriors into the nrl

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce and Sup42
At this stage he's a Reserve Grader/ESL - who may have the odd First Grade match due to injury.
He doesn't score enough tries or have the skill set and speed to warrant a place on the Wing. But I'm happy for him to stay at the club as the 4th/5th choice winger.

I'd love for the Warriors to sign a Fijian Winger.

At this stage he's a Reserve Grader/ESL - who may have the odd First Grade match due to injury.
He doesn't score enough tries or have the skill set and speed to warrant a place on the Wing. But I'm happy for him to stay at the club as the 4th/5th choice winger.

I'd love for the Warriors to sign a Fijian Winger.
Waikato Rugby have two good young Fijian wingers on there flanks.
Not only are they try scorers.
They are hungus , always lurking around for work , trying to create something great or hoping for an opportunist mistake.
They were amongst our best when we lost The Log of Wood last night.
Cant wait to see what SK can do with KEN 2017.
Either a make it or bust.
Has his flaws.
Cant take away his fearless running though.

Reactions: Maddog
I honestly believe your assurance that he has the goods, which reflects badly on the club.
And I have full faith in it being a club failing not Kens effort. Look at the guy, 191cm 105kg absolutely shredded, he clearly works out hard. Whatever he is lacking thats on the club imo to point the way forward for him so he can work on it.

In the mean time if Tui goes to Wing, who is our backup ? And if tui is 6 2018 who is our star winger 2018? We need Sam P to come home and out of retirement for 2 years :)

And I have full faith in it being a club failing not Kens effort. Look at the guy, 191cm 105kg absolutely shredded, he clearly works out hard. Whatever he is lacking thats on the club imo to point the way forward for him so he can work on it.

In the mean time if Tui goes to Wing, who is our backup ? And if tui is 6 2018 who is our star winger 2018? We need Sam P to come home and out of retirement for 2 years :)
Lolo at one wing. Need to buy another winger. Manu off the bench, Maumalo to the B team. I'd go after Feki of the Sharks. A Kiwi who's homesick.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
Or pop over to Tonga set up camp and try to find the next big prop. Would you trust them to develop someone new to the game? Good grief. I've had relies pick Aussie clubs over the Warriors and move there. My mates 11 year old went back to Aussie a month ago. Shes happy for him to stay there and play league there she reckons manly is the way to go. Its a bit off topic but touches on what most people think of chances of development here and through the warriors into the nrl
Sounds right. The Warriors recruiting is not going to be a quick fix. My guess is a lot of the Tongan boys who go to Oz never make it to FG. However the word is still to go to Oz and not the Warriors.
That is not good.

It's important to remember Feki is on the end of a very good chain at the sharks, Neilson looked great at the storm also.

I like Maumolo just not sure where he fits in the scheme of things. Like others have commented lacks the speed to ever become a good winger but in time could be a passable one. Would prefer them to give him a trial or two in the 2nd row and see what happens.