International Pacific Championship

Good dominant win will hopefully see the Kiwis not pushed around.

I saw this alarming report of the NRL taking over NZ rugby league.

Without placing myself at risk of being called a racist against Australians (Australians are not a race and my hatred and vitriol is well backed up by a life time of seeing Australia seek to colonize NZ sports in Rugby League).

The NZRL got it wrong this series, however that should never see them taken over by Australia.

The worst thing that could happen to this sport which Australia almost completely control (look at the actual facts of what that has done to the international games, the origin and NRL hype has left test matches meaningless and poorly promoted),

The NRL is a club body, for a local Australian club competition, how dare they take over a sovereign nations international body?

This is like the super Rugby clubs in NZ trying to take control of test matches off the likes of South Africa and Australia, it is a bloody disgrace,a hostile business take over that has zero to do with international sport diplomacy.

The worst thing that could happen to the Kiwis is for Australia to have even more control.

They have wrecked it already. Don't let them turn these games into their narrative, if you do, tests will become festival games like the Indigenous games, they will be treated as fun pageants below the origin monster.

The main reason Aussie want to take over is that no final will ever be played in NZ ever again. They have not beaten NZ on NZ soil in years, so what is their knee jerk reaction to getting smashed in the final over here? 'lets take it off them and make it easier for our mob to win the finals in Australia'[

Look forward to ANZAC day treatment, not one ANZAC game ever played on NZ soil.

Were we at Galipoli dying? or did I get that part wrong and only Australian audiences deserve a commemorative game?

I know I have been the lone voice of the forum ringing the alarm bell about Australian control of this sport but read the article.

Wake up sleepy sheep.

This shit is real. I saw it decades ago, I feel like a man on an island here....a lonely place, a solo voice yelling into the raging Australian storm.

Since we are so weak and can be taken over so readily by Australia, the English and the Tongans are our best allies and the hope of taking this game back and keeping its ownership to Sovereign nations and their charters of independence.

Last edited:
I saw this alarming report of the NRL taking over NZ rugby league.

Without placing myself at risk of being called a racist against Australians (Australians are not a race and my hatred and vitriol is well backed up by a life time of seeing Australia seek to colonize NZ sports in Rugby League).

The NZRL got it wrong this series, however that should never see them taken over by Australia.

The worst thing that could happen to this sport which Australia almost completely control (look at the actual facts of what that has done to the international games, the origin and NRL hype has left test matches meaningless and poorly promoted),

The NRL is a club body, for a local Australian club competition, how dare they take over a sovereign nations international body?

This is like the super Rugby clubs in NZ trying to take control of test matches off the likes of South Africa and Australia, it is a bloody disgrace,a hostile business take over that has zero to do with international sport diplomacy.

We have to fight this shit, It is simply a hostile business takeover by an Australian business mogul with global influence.

The worst thing that could happen to the Kiwis is for Australia to have even more control.

They have wrecked it already. Don't let them turn these games into their narrative, if you do, tests will become festival games like the Indigenous games, they will be treated as fun pageants below the origin monster.

The main reason Aussie want to take over is that no final will ever be played in NZ ever again. They have not beaten NZ on NZ soil in years, so what is their knee jerk reaction to getting smashed in the final over here? 'lets take it off them and make it easier for our mob to win the finals in Australia'[

Look forward to ANZAC day treatment, not one ANZAC game ever played on NZ soil.

Were we at Galipoli dying? or did I get that part wrong and only Australian audiences deserve a commemorative game?

I know I have been the lone voice of the forum ringing the alarm bell about Australian control of this sport but read the article.

NRL takes to take control of the NZRL.

Can you dig it Warriors? can you at last see why I rang that bell first???

Wake up you sleepy sheep.

This shit is real. I saw it decades ago, I feel like a man on an island here....a lonely place, a solo voice yelling into the raging Australian storm.

Since we are so weak and can be taken over so readily by Australia, the English and the Tongans are our best allies and the hope of taking this game back and keeping its ownership to Sovereign nations and their charters of independence.
I read the article by Newscorp Aus.
And thought.
It can’t and won’t happen.
The article is just bs.
Pure spin like so much of Newscorp s r/ l articles.
Those comments by Peters in the Stuff article indicate the article is bs
Good to see dates have been finalised in advance for future pacific cup tests
Also I thought Peters articulated well why the crowd was down and how NZRL had insufficient time to get a stadium and promote it properly.
I wonder if the cake tin was an option.

NRL wants to control everything RL, let's not kid ourselves about that.

They let the self interested club game kill any chance of us developing our own Kiwi SOO style game

They're doing their best to offer more $$$ at World Cup time to stop players siding with smaller nations

They've done nothing to help lift or support the island nations despite the emergence of Tonga and Samoa as genuine threats. They'll be more than happy to do nothing, sit on their hands and wait for the current generation to pass on so it can get back to Australia and SOO.

They continue to hang their hat on SOO even though the game has reached it's ceiling with how far it can grow on the back of SOO

They've deluded themselves into thinking that American's will ever give the slightest damn about a couple of NSW and QLD suburbs doing battle based on the old and tired "If we can just capture 0.1% of the population"

NRL has more dinosaurs running the game than Jurassic Park and it's going to continue to allow self interest and traditional greed to rule long after we're all gone and Rugby league is still just a miniscule dot on the sporting landscape.

He had a crack at Qld but couldn’t meet elegibility
He has done a great job for the kiwi s
Dunno
Would you want to play for Samoa
Kiwi s 50 Samoa zero
Kiwi s 30 Aus zero

But I suppose he ll do what his parents tell him to do - apparently they manage his money
Was talking about RTS bro. I think he'll put his hand up for Toa.

NRL wants to control everything RL, let's not kid ourselves about that.

They let the self interested club game kill any chance of us developing our own Kiwi SOO style game

They're doing their best to offer more $$$ at World Cup time to stop players siding with smaller nations

They've done nothing to help lift or support the island nations despite the emergence of Tonga and Samoa as genuine threats. They'll be more than happy to do nothing, sit on their hands and wait for the current generation to pass on so it can get back to Australia and SOO.

They continue to hang their hat on SOO even though the game has reached it's ceiling with how far it can grow on the back of SOO

They've deluded themselves into thinking that American's will ever give the slightest damn about a couple of NSW and QLD suburbs doing battle based on the old and tired "If we can just capture 0.1% of the population"

NRL has more dinosaurs running the game than Jurassic Park and it's going to continue to allow self interest and traditional greed to rule long after we're all gone and Rugby league is still just a miniscule dot on the sporting landscape.
I don't think the strategy of holding the games in Las Vegas is soley about capturing US interest. It is likely more about offering something unique over the rival AFL market in the glitz and glamour city of the world that fans can travel to with potentially strong domestic TV viewership as well. Its a gamble fitting with the location.

I don't think the strategy of holding the games in Las Vegas is soley about capturing US interest. It is likely more about offering something unique over the rival AFL market in the glitz and glamour city of the world that fans can travel to with potentially strong domestic TV viewership as well. It’s a gamble fitting with the location.
I was sitting next to 2 guys talking in a cafe, and he was saying he’s been contracted as a consultant by NRL for the Vegas exhibition match.

Had meetings with Abdo, Annesely and Matty Russel (random) and the NRL objective is to become the number sport bet on across betting platforms.

Taking it to Vegas in particular to attract the gamblers. Apparently the U.S find league very attractive, easy to understand and similar to NFL

It’s all about entertainment and business

Last edited:
You have to remember also the NRL we’re pushing for an extra round of games but I don’t think the RLPA signed off on it. That would probably take another game off of internationals so again just proves you can’t trust them to truly be custodians of the international game.

Absolutely the NRL should not in any way have control over international rugby league.
Same as how Super League shouldn't.

Both organisations, rightly enough, focus on the clubs in their competition and what's best - or, TBPFH, what the controlling organisation say is best - for those clubs. There's a huge conflict of interest in having final say on club rugby league and international rugby league.

Definately get that the US folk will look at league as being easier to follow than union, but don't think they'll get the whole interchange thing.
Rugby league as TV-Friendly enough as it is, I don't want it become like NFL, which, frankly, seems like it's aimed more at the TV viewers than the crowd who've actually paid to turn up....

That Kiwi side could be stronger with the inclusion of the Warriors best players.

Obviously SJ and Tohu are better than the incumbent Kiwis who played yesterday and they would add a new ball playing attacking dimension to the Kiwis that would really be threatening.

DWZ is another Warrior that is better than the incumbent Wingers as an out and out attacking finisher, and if we are putting SJ in there, it makes sense to have a familiar Warriors edge, ideally you are talking RTS coming off a successful Warriors 2024 at Center.

When you see some of the Kiwis plays looking clunky on the edges you could imagine a smooth and lethal Warriors edge added to that side, SJ, CNK DWZ RTS could bring that nice shape over from the Warriors and round that raw Kiwis side off.

Hard to leave players out though, and conventional wisdom says after breaking records and winning the first ever new era Pacific cup that you stand by your players and give them the first option next year.
I'd rather niukore than Isaiah on current form too

I don't think the strategy of holding the games in Las Vegas is soley about capturing US interest. It is likely more about offering something unique over the rival AFL market in the glitz and glamour city of the world that fans can travel to with potentially strong domestic TV viewership as well. Its a gamble fitting with the location.

They are doing it for one reason and it has nothing to do with growing the game.

They are conveniently playing in the only state in which gambling is legal.

It's 100% an attempt at growing the betting market. Nothing else.

Why not take NRL games to countries who have a really strong Rugby Union following and very little Rugby League, like South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Japan for example. Would be less of a hard sell as it is so much easier to follow the Union.

Why not take NRL games to countries who have a really strong Rugby Union following and very little Rugby League, like South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Japan for example. Would be less of a hard sell as it is so much easier to follow the Union.

Because they have no interest in growing the game of rugby league, just the betting markets for NRL.

And really what you are suggesting is not the NRLs job. The game has to be grown domestically in those countries from the ground up.

I accepted a long time ago Rugby League is a niche sport globally and I cannot see how that will ever change

Back