Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
miket12 miket12 I think people just wanted change rather than they wanted National and in NZ there isn't much choice.

It's not surprising that ACT had it's best really and won two electorates and so did Greens with 3 and also retaining Central. Chloe is the Greens imo and they really should just let her be leader.

On another note, did people watch

Seymour says he wants to unite the country and then he says that James Shaw is making violent threats. Pretty ugly right wing rhetoric if you ask me.

There was very much an “anyone but Labour” feel about this Election. I just don’t think it’s anywhere near the Blue Wave as the click baiters in the media are portraying the result…. especially when National received its second lowest party vote since 2005.

While the Parliament should represent society, a number of people don't think it should. Nearly 40% of the population identify themselves as Christian yet a number of people think being a Christian should disqualify Luxon from the PM's job..... while completing ignoring the fact that the last two PMs childhoods were spent in the Mormon and Baptist churches.

And although I totally agree that we need the Māori seats, how fair is Parliament's representation when the last election started with a two seat advantage to the left. General Seats have an average of approximately 50,000 voters per seat, while the Māori Seats only have an average of approximately 35,000 voters per Māori seat. If the ratio for the General Seats was applied to the Māori Seats, there would only have been five Māori Seats this election, not seven.
I don’t think many feel like being Christian disqualifies Luxon but some concerns for people I think are beliefs that are held and whether they be put into practice. Going into the final debate and polled there was 43% for Hipkins and 33% for Luxon in regards to trust, I don’t think much of that 33% for Luxon was due to his Christianity but more for his unwillingness to provide a clear answer on how some policies will be reached despite many being of the view they are unachievable. I think in a majority of the people’s minds when you are comparing to the previous PMs you mentioned, it came down to the individual and the level of trust the public displayed for them to put their vision into practice. I’m not completely comprehensive of the Maori seats and how they come to the outcomes they do, but feel like they are there in a sense for the representation that the Aboriginal people were seeking for their voice referendum to have Aboriginal representation in parliament.

On another note, did people watch

Seymour says he wants to unite the country and then he says that James Shaw is making violent threats. Pretty ugly right wing rhetoric if you ask me.

My personal feeling…. Labour absolutely stuffed this up.

They never campaigned on it in previous elections, ordered a secret report but then said they wouldn’t implement it. Started to implement it without a proper educational program explaining what co-governance was, how it would be used and what the intended outcomes were.

This fill straight into the arms of conspiracy theorists from the far right.

At the moment, if there was Act’s referendum on it, I don’t think it would pass as not enough people actually understand what the aims are and how they would be achieved.

I don’t think many feel like being Christian disqualifies Luxon but some concerns for people I think are beliefs that are held and whether they be put into practice. Going into the final debate and polled there was 43% for Hipkins and 33% for Luxon in regards to trust, I don’t think much of that 33% for Luxon was due to his Christianity but more for his unwillingness to provide a clear answer on how some policies will be reached despite many being of the view they are unachievable. I think in a majority of the people’s minds when you are comparing to the previous PMs you mentioned, it came down to the individual and the level of trust the public displayed for them to put their vision into practice. I’m not completely comprehensive of the Maori seats and how they come to the outcomes they do, but feel like they are there in a sense for the representation that the Aboriginal people were seeking for their voice referendum to have Aboriginal representation in parliament.
If people were really concerned about really goals promised in elections would be achieved, Labour would never have formed a Government in 2017 based just on 100,000 KiwiBuild houses or light rail to the airport being finished by now.

There was very much an “anyone but Labour” feel about this Election. I just don’t think it’s anywhere near the Blue Wave as the click baiters in the media are portraying the result…. especially when National received its second lowest party vote since 2005.
I didn’t vote National and don’t particularly like Luxon but I wanted National to win.

It definitely wasn’t a blue wave, it was anything but Labour.

But that’s how elections go. The incumbent loses them more than other parties winning.

Last edited:
If people were really concerned about really goals promised in elections would be achieved, Labour would never have formed a Government in 2017 based just on 100,000 KiwiBuild houses or light rail to the airport being finished by now.
It wasn’t just those that labour ran their election on and many societal issues like child poverty were high on the agenda. These also weren’t the issues that the majority of the country voted for with national picking the highest percentage of public vote, it was just that Winston had the numbers to put either party into government and went with labour.

The question for Labour is where to from here.

With the exception of Ardern at the helm, the party hasn’t had an election result in the 30s since Helen Clark was leader in 2008. And when Ardern took over as leader in the weeks before the 2017 campaign, she didn’t adopt any new policies.

This suggests that, over the past 15 years, people have rejected Labours policies and only latched onto Ardern’s star power which eventually faded.

If Labour are looking for a once in a generation star, it will be a long wait… the key is actually around policy and credibility as a party.
Looking at how things have gone with NZ since we adopted MMP it will likely be another 2-3 terms before Labour get back in. The 3 term governments under Clark and Key came in after the previous seemed to get tired and both looked ready.

The next election National will have an incumbent advantage as people vote for what they now or have seen. It will likely be the one after that Labour may be able to compete.

The 2017 one was an a strange time. Key moved on and English would have provided much of the same. There was resentment building and a need for a change. Labour weren't ready as the results under Little showed.

Both parties have fallen apart when they have gone into opposition and need to rebuild. Constant leadership changes and bad messaging. We will likely get that if Labour move Hipkins on. Like National after 2017 they have experience in government so should be a good opposition. We will need to wait and see.

My personal feeling…. Labour absolutely stuffed this up.

They never campaigned on it in previous elections, ordered a secret report but then said they wouldn’t implement it. Started to implement it without a proper educational program explaining what co-governance was, how it would be used and what the intended outcomes were.

This fill straight into the arms of conspiracy theorists from the far right.

At the moment, if there was Act’s referendum on it, I don’t think it would pass as not enough people actually understand what the aims are and how they would be achieved.
I said at the time when He Puapua was being implemented by stealth that there would be a big backlash that would end up hurting Maori and result in loses more than any gains.

Anything controversial needs to have public buy in.

The claims now of racism and violence is all on the ones doing the original changing not doing it right…

I said at the time when He Puapua was being implemented by stealth that there would be a big backlash that would end up hurting Maori and result in loses more than any gains.

Anything controversial needs to have public buy in.

The claims now of racism and violence is all on the ones doing the original changing not doing it right…
Maori did well in this election, their party may not have polled high but taking 5 of 7 Maori seats shows there are popular candidates. I wouldn’t be expecting the Maori party to poll high amongst most non Maori ethnicities, their policies represent Maori unashamedly. I don’t think there’s a better party for representing its demographic and constituents.

National picking the highest percentage of public vote, it was just that Winston had the numbers to put either party into government and went with labour.
It’s actually crazy when you remember that National had 44-45% in 2017, yet there were / are no obligations for minor parties to negotiate with the majority party
Maori did well in this election, their party may not have polled high but taking 5 of 7 Maori seats shows there are popular candidates. I wouldn’t be expecting the Maori party to poll high amongst most non Maori ethnicities, their policies represent Maori unashamedly. I don’t think there’s a better party for representing its demographic and constituents.
I expected that with all the work Labour did for Maori was going to deliver them a better Maori vote.

Don't forget, in '96, Winnie and Co won all 5 (as it was then) of the Maori seats

While the Parliament should represent society, a number of people don't think it should. Nearly 40% of the population identify themselves as Christian yet a number of people think being a Christian should disqualify Luxon from the PM's job..... while completing ignoring the fact that the last two PMs childhoods were spent in the Mormon and Baptist churches.

And although I totally agree that we need the Māori seats, how fair is Parliament's representation when the last election started with a two seat advantage to the left. General Seats have an average of approximately 50,000 voters per seat, while the Māori Seats only have an average of approximately 35,000 voters per Māori seat. If the ratio for the General Seats was applied to the Māori Seats, there would only have been five Māori Seats this election, not seven.
I don't think it's being a Christian is the issue - I think the issue is the fundamental churches he has attended hold some quite extreme views

Not really your run of the mill wholesome Christianity is it...

What's exactly is so funny Inruin Inruin ?

People rightly question Luxon's beliefs because of the churches he's attended in the past (even endorsed & made them remove record of them)

Is that a bit hard for you to confront people may feel that way?

What's exactly is so funny Inruin Inruin ?

People rightly question Luxon's beliefs because of the churches he's attended in the past (even endorsed & made them remove record of them)

Is that a bit hard for you to confront people may feel that way?
You are funny. Its not an issue but then proceed to post more about it being an issue. :ROFLMAO: The turks have deleted all of your ewww Luxon is a fundamentalist Christian posts.

It's as funny as Bruce's "It's not an issue if he is gay" and then continue posting about it.

Back