Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:

When I see this from Hetherington, it reminds me of what CHT brings with his heart and physical defence. They remind me a lot of each other the way they defend and Hetherington is of a similar size and lock/dummy half. Hearing that Carrigan shifts to front row and Hetherington to lock, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tohu prop and CHT long term replacement for him at lock.

I don’t think this is a swap deal.
It’s just giving Curran the opportunity to look at other clubs .
Why not try and get something we need though for losing him? Sounds like storm and tigers are in negotiations for an Olam/Blore switch. Something like a Curran/Sipley switch would be great for us if we negotiated with manly. Would be a win win with them getting Curran as lock and Trbojovich to prop.

Do you think we got the full truth to that?

I find it hard to believe we could compete the way we did with a $700k hole in the salary cap.

That being said, it's likely that amount went straight to RTS which allowed things to move so quickly.

Just find it interesting that nothing really came from the initial reports of that salary cap hole

Do you think we got the full truth to that?

I find it hard to believe we could compete the way we did with a $700k hole in the salary cap.

That being said, it's likely that amount went straight to RTS which allowed things to move so quickly.

Just find it interesting that nothing really came from the initial reports of that salary cap hole
We all know what we know from the reports however accurate they are but I think the club did the right thing in paying him to leave.

I hate to keep saying this but...paying out for a player option extension year, which the player has no intention of taking up is one of the dumbest things the club has ever done. It reeks of recklessness and ego.
I’ve got no idea of anything further than what was reported and that was pretty embarrassing, perhaps you know even more? Robinson probably an egomaniac, couldn’t comment as I don’t know him but lodge’s career in respect to clubs seeming to shift him on in in fairly quick succession feels to me like the right call was made in this instance. Probably doesn’t pay to drink piss with the boys if that’s what happened.

All clubs he’s being linked to are Sydney clubs which makes me think he may have been keen to go home.
Randomly ended up talking to Josh Curran's dad at the Lord Alfred before the Brisbane game - sounds like Josh is very much enjoying his time at the Warriors (although wants more game time). However, his dad made it pretty clear that even though he enjoys it, when him and his partner look to start a family they'll be eyeing a move back to Sydney.

Randomly ended up talking to Josh Curran's dad at the Lord Alfred before the Brisbane game - sounds like Josh is very much enjoying his time at the Warriors (although wants more game time). However, his dad made it pretty clear that even though he enjoys it, when him and his partner look to start a family they'll be eyeing a move back to Sydney.
Yep.
Regular as clockwork: Aussie player and partner love-love-love life in Auckland until it's Family Making Time.
Maybe the Warriors management need to be signing players parents and parents-in-law as part of any extension deal!?

Curran is one of those players you sacrifice to recruit for your weaknesses via a swap or land recruit via musical chairs for a quick team upgrade

Vailea is the type you release to cut the losses, maybe get some freight back

Might be totally wrong tho, lol
There will be instances the club or looking wider all clubs would think like this. The players they would be giving up might be someone they are still high on but sometimes tough decisions need to be made.

Each instance whether it is right or wrong probably depends on how successful they are signing someone in the position they want and if they improve overall.

A good example is the Warriors releasing Johnson for the 2019 season. They struggled to replace him and didn't follow up a 2018 which was reasonable successful making the finals after such a long time.

Reactions: CWC
I could see a world where a Curran, toaf Sipley deal could be benefit all parties.
Both players get to go home with an upgrade and extension.
We get our prop, manly gets currans mullet- damn I’ll miss that mullet.
When I look at Sipley’s numbers this year, he’s exactly what we need and coming into his peak years. 97% tackle efficiency and made 100m+ in nearly all games, some more than 200m. Warriors junior and connection to AFB already from their time at manly together.

Maybe this has been asked and answered but why would Manly give him up, given those stats?
They want to sign Olakau’atu to a long term deal apparently and meant to have salary cap issues. Understandable with the likes of Schuster on $800k and couldn’t even make the team in the halves and DCE and Trbojovichs on big money. They’ve signed lodge which I see as a similar body to Sipley and Curran could play lock so Jake Trbojovich can shift to prop, they’ve also got Woods if they need him. Not sure Sipley would be on big money but they extended him to 2025 a while back, would be salary cap related though I think. Get lodge cheap as the replacement and swap Sipley for Curran so no monetary discrepancy and it could work out well for all parties, provided Sipley wants to return to NZ.

Back