Rumour Kearney to depart Eels: report

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 29, 2012
North Shore
Kearney is a garbage coach and will be a garbage coach where ever he is....Bluey has had 3/4's of a season, with below average results...Kearney has had a season and
3/4's and has proven he is just terrible, 9 wins from 41 games wasn't it?
you can only coach what you have - a they don't have much - buying Ben Roberts and Sandow was a mistake as well.

If they really want to develop a dynasty throw money at Bellyache.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
you can only coach what you have - a they don't have much - buying Ben Roberts and Sandow was a mistake as well.

The Parra squad was as good if not better than the Bulldogs and Sharks at the start of the season, the real difference was their coaches.

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 29, 2012
North Shore
The Parra squad was as good if not better than the Bulldogs and Sharks at the start of the season, the real difference was their coaches.
no way.

Roberts & Sandow better than Carney and his off sider? Do they have anyone better than Gallen and J Smith?

The Doggies have Graham off the bench who's been excellent, Barber who was a stand out last year, Kasiano, Morris etc.

Parra have Hayne. That's it!

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
no way.

Roberts & Sandow better than Carney and his off sider? Do they have anyone better than Gallen and J Smith?

The Doggies have Graham off the bench who's been excellent, Barber who was a stand out last year, Kasiano, Morris etc.

Parra have Hayne. That's it!

Coaching buddy.

Barba was super talented but was a defensive liability, Kasiano was just a prop and Morris was playing reserve grade last season...Hasler has taken these guys and turned them
into consistent first graders that are dominating their positions this season.

Carney was a discard from the Rooters after a horrible season, Gallen is Gallen, and Smith is solid professional veteran, they are a couple of good players teamed with a
bunch of journeymen.

Parra had Hayne one of the best players in the world, Sandow who was one of the form halfbacks last season, Tonga a SOO and aussie rep, Hindmarsh a SOO and
Aussie rep, Mannah a SOO rep, Moimoi a NZ rep, Roberts a NZ rep, sure it's not the strongest squad, but it's a damn sight better than what Kearney has done with it.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Coaching buddy.

Barba was super talented but was a defensive liability, Kasiano was just a prop and Morris was playing reserve grade last season...Hasler has taken these guys and turned them
into consistent first graders that are dominating their positions this season.

Carney was a discard from the Rooters after a horrible season, Gallen is Gallen, and Smith is solid professional veteran, they are a couple of good players teamed with a
bunch of journeymen.

Parra had Hayne one of the best players in the world, Sandow who was one of the form halfbacks last season, Tonga a SOO and aussie rep, Hindmarsh a SOO and
Aussie rep, Mannah a SOO rep, Moimoi a NZ rep, Roberts a NZ rep, sure it's not the strongest squad, but it's a damn sight better than what Kearney has done with it.
i agree that the parra squad looks better than its performances suggest, however, it is very difficult to come in and change an intire culture. it takes years, usually with a big clean out, i think kearney had done ok. not spectacular, but not horrendous either. how many coaches have been and gone from that club. even danial anderson says he doesnt know what happened to get them to the grand final that year. suspects it was basically on the outstanding form of hayne. so i wouldnt hang kearneys coaching ability or career on what he has done at the eels

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
i agree that the parra squad looks better than its performances suggest, however, it is very difficult to come in and change an intire culture. it takes years, usually with a big clean out, i think kearney had done ok. not spectacular, but not horrendous either. how many coaches have been and gone from that club. even danial anderson says he doesnt know what happened to get them to the grand final that year. suspects it was basically on the outstanding form of hayne. so i wouldnt hang kearneys coaching ability or career on what he has done at the eels

Mcquire has done a pretty good job changing the horrible culture at the rabbits in less than a year, and what Hasler has done at the dogs is nothing short of miraculous, and it looks
like Newcastle is starting to follow the Bennett gospel.....the good coaches bring a great culture with them, thats what makes them good.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Mcquire has done a pretty good job changing the horrible culture at the rabbits in less than a year, and what Hasler has done at the dogs is nothing short of miraculous, and it looks
like Newcastle is starting to follow the Bennett gospel.....the good coaches bring a great culture with them, thats what makes them good.
i agree with elements of this. the eels have been underachievers for a loooongg time even with the grand final appearance annomally. the rabbits/knights/dogs have been building/have had good cultures that just needed resurecting. agree it takes a good coach to change the place but even as good as bennett is (and i think he is he best) it still hasnt quite gelled at the knights and he bought how many players and staff with him. kearney is a rookie, first grade and nrl, and he will learn a lot from his adversity there at the eels. some valuable lessons that he wouldnt have experienced at the storm.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
If Bluey fails and needs replacing prematurely next year, I think most of us know who our next coach will be.

Of the Candidates the Warriors could attract , Kearney will have the most NRL experience

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Of the Candidates the Warriors could attract , Kearney will have the most NRL experience
Of the Candidates the Warriors could attract , Kearney will be the only one.

Georgalis was really well rated by the players when he took over the reins at Panthers last year. However is he really the type of coach we need? I keep thinking that we need a coach who has star power that could influence other top line players to come here and play under him. Neither Kearney, Georgalis etc, and most likely anyone readily wanting to coach the warriors would have that.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
Agreed. If Bluey goes there is only 1 person who will be replacing him. And realistically we can debate whether or not Kearney was doomed at the Eels before he even began until the cows come home. As for my opinion. I'd support him being appointed if that happened. A few reasons:

- Is a Kiwi. Not because I like viewing the Warriors like a Kiwi squad (as some do), but because he understands the culture and is an ex player.
- Has NRL playing and coaching experience. As for the latter, it's been a shit experience but he'll be better off for it.
- Has spent a good deal of time under Bellamy. He's done his NRL apprenticeship.

The promotion of Ackland or Iro doesn't sit well with me, I think it'll be more of the same.

This is all hypothetical of course, despite the Bluey hate (and I currently dislike him), I'm willing to give him another off-season and at least part of next to show us he's learned a thing or two from this year.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Kearney was an unmitigated disaster, with one of the worst coaching records that i can recall. He got the players he wanted, a free reign to run things how he wanted, and still
failed miserably....so how could letting such a fraud of a coach anywhere near the Warriors do any good?

I suppose the Warriors have a history of recruiting, retaining and accepting mediocrity, so nothing would surprise me.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
so how could letting such a fraud of a coach anywhere near the Warriors do any good?
We had the same intentions when we let Bluey take over didnt we?

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
Kearney was an unmitigated disaster, with one of the worst coaching records that i can recall. He got the players he wanted, a free reign to run things how he wanted, and still
failed miserably....so how could letting such a fraud of a coach anywhere near the Warriors do any good?

I suppose the Warriors have a history of recruiting, retaining and accepting mediocrity, so nothing would surprise me.

Yeah but I think that's ignoring much of the surrounding circumstance. The Eels are a disaster, I've got a couple of very good friends who are Eels tragics (one being my flatmate), and they're in no doubt that the club needs an overhaul from the top. It's not an excuse for Kearney, he may very well be a terrible NRL coach. But walking into a toxic environment, regardless of the players you recruit, well it's difficult to succeed. Anyway, as I said, it'll be virtually impossible to judge until he gets a 2nd shot. He may be shit, maybe not..

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Nelson
when bluey gets the boot halfway through next season Im quite certain we can attract a few contenders for the job.lets hope we put them through a good rigorest test.and really pick one that suits are style,instead of the fans picking the coach..I put my hand up and said to anyone that would. Listen that bluey was the right candidate for the warriors. how wrong was I.he is out of his depth in the NRL .Kearney will probably get the job.but we have to get it right,because this young team we have now needs a coach with clout.and really invokes a tough mentality and a,defense,defense defense mind set first

Reactions: Akkerz

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings