General Kearney quits Melbourne Storm for Eels

• Thread starter The 22 BEAST_old
  • Start date

The 22 BEAST_old

From Nrl.com

New Zealand rugby league coach Stephen Kearney has quit his position at Melbourne, telling Storm officials he will join NRL rivals Parramatta.

The Eels sacked Daniel Anderson earlier this week and Kearney, who has been Craig Bellamy's assistant at the Storm for five years, has been strongly linked with the job.

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne would not confirm he has hired Kearney when contacted by AAP on Saturday evening.

"There's two great teams playing in a grand final tomorrow," was all he would say.

Kearney led the Kiwis to the 2008 rugby league World Cup title.

"As expected, Kearney today informed club officials he would be taking up the vacant Parramatta Eels coaching role in 2011," a Storm statement read.

Melbourne CEO Ron Gauci said the club would announce a replacement for Kearney and backs coach Brad Arthur, who the Storm said would also join the Eels, in coming weeks.

"Stephen has been a great servant of the Melbourne Storm both as a player and a coach," Gauci said.

"The entire club is greatly appreciative of the role Stephen has played here and the life membership he received just last month was evident of the respect he holds here.

"We were always aware that, at some point in his career, Stephen would want to take the step up to a head coaching role and we had been planning accordingly.

"We are confident that we will be in a position shortly to publicly announce a replacement for Stephen."

Worst kept secret!

sebastian_old

Kearney didn't quit, he was pushed out so Adam Blair could begin his premiership winning coaching career.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kabba_old

I feel a bit bad for hoping that he fails miserably. I hate the Eels and even with Kearney at the helm I don't wish them any success.

aussie_warrior_old

poison * cough * chalice...

I would rather stick my wang in a cheese grater than go to the Eels. I hope he gets a shite load of money.

a.c.e_old

I hate the Eels. Stevie boy could have made his way to Auckland but Ivan managed to pull the Warriors season around and make the playoffs.

Will be interesting to see the fortunes of the Eels compared to the Warriors during next season. Sorta like 'the coach we stuck with' vs 'the coach we could have signed'

I hope Kearney does well but gets a arse ripping when up against the Warriors.