Warriors Orange Peeler
Kalani Going

55837794 2273122489405393 6966729630363418624 n

In 2014, Kalani Going was signed to the Canberra Raiders SG Ball team where he played second row. He attended Erindale College where he was captain of the schools 1st XIII.

Going played in the Canberra Raiders NYC U20 team in 2015 through to 2017.

In 2018, Going played in the Canberra Raiders reserve grade feeder team the Mounties.

In 2019 Going was signed by the Tweed Seagulls to play in their NSW Cup team.

Going was a member of the Northland NPC rugby union team in 2020-2022.

In November 2020, Going was selected to play in the Red Bull Ignite7.

In February 2023, Going was named to play in the Warriors first trial match against the Wests Tigers at Mt Smart Stadium...
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Cces


Warriors Orange Peeler
SG Ball (Under 18s)
Harold matthews team shot

Canberra Raiders drew 34 all with Western Suburbs Magpies at Raiders Belconnen

The Raiders have retained their position in the top eight following a hard-fought 34 all draw with Western Suburbs Magpies on Saturday.

The Magpies were sitting in seventh position leading into the clash with the match presenting a prime opportunity for the Raiders to leapfrog Western Suburbs and multiple other teams with a victory on the weekend.

Unfortunately, despite a promising display form the team, Canberra was unable to close out the match and capitalise on their strong form.

Canberra were best served in this fixture by back-rower Kalani Going who finished with two tries and five-eighth Lachlan Croker who compiled 14 points from one try and five goals.

Canberra 34 (Kalani Going 2, Sione Afemui, Lachlan Crocker, Ben Maguire, Tre Williams tries; Lachlan Crocker 5 goals) drew. Western Suburbs 34 (Jett Karam, Veiru Mapesone, Mark McCormack, Christian Tulua, Christopher Ve’e, Ututau Wright tries; Mason Cerruto 5 goals)

  • Like
Reactions: Cces


Warriors Orange Peeler

Match Preview: Erindale College v Hunter Sports High

Jackson Russell
Thu 19 Jun 2014, 03:34 PM
Gio schoolboy cup v erindale 3

Tomorrow see’s Erindale College host Hunter Sports High School in the second round of the GIO Schoolboys Cup at GIO Stadium Canberra at 3:30pm.

The match will be serving as an undercard game for the NRL match between the Canberra Raiders and the Canterbury Bulldogs played at 7:45pm that night.

The Schoolboy teams have been provided this wonderful experience to play on a NRL Game Day by major sponsor of the competition and also stadium sponsor GIO Insurance.

Both sides are coming off opening round losses, and are looking for a positive result to get their GIO Schoolboys Cup run back on track.

Last start Erindale College came up against competition heavy weights Patrician Brothers Blacktown and went down 28-0 in what was a courageous showing from the much younger side at Kippax Oval on June 4th.

Despite this loss Erindale have taken a lot away from the match and their performance. Which will no doubt serve them well coming up against Hunter Sports High School.

“We are feeling very good after that match. All boys are lot more confident and very proud of their performance. We are a young team and to play the way we did against Patrician Brothers was awesome.” Erindale College Captain Kalani Going.

Erindale College will also be boosted by the fact that they have four players coming back from SG Ball commitments to play in Friday’s game.

“Having those boys coming back is big for us. It gives us a lot more experience. Getting to run out onto GIO Stadium in front of our friends and family will be a great feeling” Said Going

Hunter Sports High School faced past winners Westfield Sports High School at Campbelltown Stadium last week and after leading 16-6 at halftime eventually went down 36-16.

“We looked great in the first half but we are a young side and that’s where Westfield got on top of us in the second half and pulled us back in.

Fatigue was probably the biggest issue, we know where we went wrong and have talked about the areas that need improving” Said Hunter Sports coach Justin Stewart.

There is no doubt that Hunter Sports will be looking to rectify that result against Erindale College on Friday afternoon. The task however becomes harder with Hunter missing key players.

“It’s a big blow for us, we will be missing our missing our fullback, halfback and one of our front rowers with prior commitments. But it’s the chance for some other boys to step up on what will be a tough road trip but a great experience for the boys.”

“To have GIO insurance support schoolboy football is fantastic and we thank them for providing this opportunity to these kids” Said Stewart.
Erindale Graduate and Raiders star Jack Wighton said he has great memories of his Erindale days.

“Playing for Erindale was the first chance for me to get some game time when I arrived in Canberra to start playing with the Raiders and I loved the experience,” Wighton said. “It’s a great school and they have a proud rugby league history.”

Another former Erindale star Paul Vaughan said he’ll always have fond memories of his time at Erindale and wished the team luck for Friday night.

“Being from Canberra it was a huge positive for me to be able to go to school at Erindale and play footy for them. I’ll always have great memories of my days at Erindale.” Vaughan said. “I wish the boys all the best of luck for tomorrow.”

  • Like
Reactions: Cces


Warriors Orange Peeler

NYC Match Report: Going stars in Raiders win
Sat 27 Jun 2015, 12:33 PM

A first half hat trick for Kiwi native Kalani Going and some brilliant defence was the highlight for the Raiders NYC team, as they defeated the fourth place New Zealand Warriors 24-16 at Mt Smart Stadium.

Going was a standout in the first half for the Raiders as he scored three tries in what was just his third match at NYC level, since graduating from the Raiders SG Ball team where he won the joint Players Player for the season.

The Raiders got off to the perfect start against New Zealand when Going scored his first try after just a few minutes of play, when he used his size and strength to barge his way over for the opening try.

Going was in the action again just a few minutes later when he found space from a nice Dylan McGrath pass and when Zac Woolford converted it was 10-0.

Another try to the Green Machine extended their lead, before Going completed his first half hat trick as he once again proved a handful on the left edge for the visitors giving the Raiders a 20-0 lead.

The Warriors finally on on the scoreboard through winger Paul Ulberg just before half time, as they took advantage of some Raiders errors to build some possession and put pressure on Canberra. Mikaere Beattie added the extras and it was 20-6 at the break.

The Raiders first half defensive efforts were first rate as they controlled the tempo of the game and managed to keep the usually high scoring Warriors contained to just the one try in the opening half.

The Warriors were the first team to score after halftime when Koli Oneone scored just five minutes after the break, when he snared a nice cross field kick from halfback Erin Clark. The conversion brought it back in within eight points at 20-12.

Both teams had a number of chances to score during the second half, but desperate defence from both teams kept the score line the same until the 73rd minute, when Jack Hickson barged his way over in the corner from a short side raid to secure the victory for the Raiders.

Chevi Ellis was brilliant for the Raiders in the second half as he constantly caused headaches with his broken field running from fullback, while Kalani Going was a consistent handful for the Warriors defence as he used footwork and power to cause trouble for the New Zealand defence.

A late try to Tomas Aoake in the corner gave the Warriors a consolation try, but the Raiders were able to hold on for the eight point win.

The Raiders will now head into the bye on 18 competition points and a wonderful chance to set up their back end of the season.

  • Like
Reactions: Cces


Warriors Orange Peeler

Blackhawks downed as Gulls remain unbeaten

17 March, 2019
Neil Cadigan

The Ben Campbell Building Group Tweed Heads Seagulls have broken their seven-match long hoodoo against Townsville Blackhawks by toughing out a 24-16 victory in the slush and rain at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

With both sides scoring three tries, it was left to four second-half penalty goals by five-eighth Lindon McGrady (who kicked six from seven) to separate the two teams as Seagulls turned around a 7-1 first-half penalty count against them and it was the Blackhawks who fell away in discipline under the physical pressure of the Seagulls in the final 20 minutes.

McGrady was influential with his kicking game in the wet conditions and it was his beautiful pass in the second session that put 19-year-old Treymain Spry in for his second try that provided a massive impact on the result.

Left-edge second-rower Kalani Going was a deserved Channel 9 man of the match, after scoring the first try and causing headaches for the Blackhawks’ right defence with his determined running. But there were several excellent performances in Ben Woolfe’s line-up, including Titans hooker Mitch Rein who played the full 80 minutes, prop Leilani Latu, winger Ryland Jacobs, lock Kirk Murphy and interchange forward Bayley Faull.

Murphy couldn’t believe his luck when he crossed after great offload by Leilani Latu in just the fourth minute but ball bounced as he tried to slam the ball down with his right hand and he was denied a try.

Less than a minute later it looked like the Blackhawks would score first, on back of a midfield penalty, but Latu pulled off a great effort to push Blackhawks winger Michael Carroll into touch with Rowland Jacobs underneath.

Six and a half minutes in Going crossed in the set after Blackhawks fullback Zac Santo fumbled a McGrady grubber kick that hit the goalpost pad. Going ran onto a small gap off halfback Ryley Jacks from a set-play shift to the left. McGrady converted for a 6-0 lead.

Just six minutes later Santo dropped a Talor Walters kick along the ground under pressure of a charging Keegan Hipgrave and Hipgrave’s fellow Titans-contracted player Treymain Spry picked the ball up on the run and scored under the posts. McGrady’s easy conversion made it 12-0.

In the 19th minute, in their third successive set of possession in the Seagulls quarter, Blackhawks centre Shaun Hudson was first to the ball after a neat chip-kick into the left corner of the in-gaol from halfback Parker-Hunt into the in-goal. The third set, however, came from a highly disputable offside penalty by referee on McGrady.

Seven minutes later the Cowboys almost scored from the same play. Parker-Walshe chipped to left corner again and winger Kalifa Faifai-Loa leapt for it with Ione Seuili before and Hudson picked up the rebound. It was sent to the video ref as a try but replays showed Faifai-Low got a hand to the ball and knocked it forward.

In the 36th minute the Seagulls were on the end of another controversial decision. Jarrod Morfett took a hit up and his progress looked to have been halted but Parker-Walshe stripped the ball from a stunned Morfett and the ball swung to the right and centre Levi Dodd showed good footwork to beat two tackles and score, to make the score 12-10 which remained until the break.

The Seagulls were penalised 7-1 in the first half and Woolf implored them to pick up their discipline, which they did.


Three minutes into the second half a brilliant cut-out ball by McGrady put Spry into a hole 10 metres from the Blackhawks’ line (using Hipgrave as the lead runner) and he crossed for his second try. McGrady failed to convert, leaving the score 16-10.

McGrady landed penalty goals in the 60th (late tackle on Mitch Rein) and 64th minutes (high tackle on Rein) to give the Seagulls a handy 10-point cushion at 20-10 as rain started to fall.

Townsville were quickly back in the game after a neat cross-goal grubber kick by Shaun Nona into the in-goal was scooped up by Parker-Walshe.

Nona’s conversion made it 16-10 and soon after they were centimetres from going ahead when hooker Krys Freeman just failed to force the ball in a Walters’ tackle after he scooted over the line from dummy-half.

In the next minute the Seagulls had another let-off when Faifai Loa was put into the clear in a set move in the middle of the ruck but the referee ruled an obstruction on Seagulls defender Jack Cook.

A third penalty goal by McGrady with four and a half minutes remaining took the Seagulls’ lead out to 22-16. However, the Blackhawks regained possession from a shallow kick-off and were on the charge again when Spry intercepted a dummy-half pass from Freeman and looked set to settle the match but was brilliantly run down by Fai-Fai Loa.

Tweed received a penalty for Michael Carroll holding down Spry, then Parker-Walshe joined him in the sin bin for dissent, meaning the Blackhawks finished with 11 players.

The scoring ended with another McGrady penalty goal to give the Gullies an impressive first-win against the Blackhawks and leave Ben Woolf’s side unbeaten after two rounds, heading into the local derby against Burleigh Bears at Pizzey Park next Sunday.

Jacobs deserve special mention. He was outstanding with some of the cleaning up work he did and strong running in his own half, and that why he is so respected by his teammates with an ability to do the tough, but important things, when his team is under pressure.


Tweed Heads 24
(T Spry 2, K Going tries; L McGrady 6 goals) def. Townsville Blackhawks 16 (Hudson, L Dodd, M Parker-Walshe tries; Dodd, S Nona goals) at Piggabeen Sports Ground.

HASTINGS DEERING COLTS – BLACKHAWKS 24 (Tom McCagh, Samuel Murphy, Wiremu Greig, Zinzaan Martin tries; Adam Cook 4 goals) def

SEAGULLS 12 (Caleb Nicholls, Blake Campbell tries; Jaman Rio 2 goals) at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

AUSWIDE BANK MAL MENINGA CUPSEAGULLS 20 (Brendan Piakura, Xavier Coates, Caleb Hodges, Noah Gafa tries; Toby Sexton 2 goals) def BLACKHAWKS 16 (Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2, Aaron Moore tries; Dylan White 2 goals) at Piggabeen Sports Complex.

  • Like
Reactions: Cces


Warriors Orange Peeler
Saturday, 3 September 2022

Northland stun Auckland to make NPC history

Kalani Going of Northland breaks past the Auckland defence during the round five Bunnings NPC...

Kalani Going of Northland breaks past the Auckland defence during the round five Bunnings NPC match between Northland and Auckland at Semenoff Stadium, Whangarei. Photo: Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

Season after season, Northland have been among the minnows of the National Provincial Championship. In 2022, they have shed that tag.

The Taniwha further stamped their mark on the competition in Whangārei this afternoon, claiming a 23-22 win over Auckland.

It's the first time Northland have beaten Auckland at home – and just their third win over them since the NPC began in 1976.

In a clash that was largely contested through set pieces, with much of the second half being eaten away by scrums, Northland found a way to edge the match and improve to 4-1 for the season.

"That was a huge win for us. The boys had to stick in for some tough periods there," Northland captain Matt Moulds told Sky.

"Auckland really wanted to stamp their mark; they didn't want to take the points, they wanted to take seven off us and our boys had to dig deep."
The result could have been different for Auckland had it not been for their execution.

Auckland had at least two tries go begging in the second half; a strong scrum from five metres out steamrolled over the Northland line only for an Auckland player to knock the ball on in attempting to score, and wing Salesi Rayasi was unable to plant the ball before losing it backwards on another occasion. Rayasi's attempt to sell the try might ultimately have cost Auckland too, as the loose ball fell at the feet of a teammate but the referee had called time to check Rayasi's grounding.

Northland started well, with left wing Heremaia Murray finding plenty of space and putting his pace to good use, and the hosts found good territory. They opened the scoring through hooker Moulds from close range before adding a Rivez Reihana penalty to go ahead by eight.

After struggling to get into the game for the opening 20 minutes, Auckland began to hit their stride midway through the first half and quickly took over proceedings.

By the time Auckland wing Tomas Aoake scored in the corner 37 minutes into the contest, Northland had almost doubled Auckland's tackle count and a try late in the half to hooker Robbie Abel saw Auckland go into the break with a slim lead.

That lead was quickly taken away when Murray flaunted his pace out wide to finish off a move in the corner, but again Auckland began to take over the match.

The majority of the second half was spent deep in Northland territory as the side conceded plenty of penalties and kept having to defend against scrums. While they did not lose a man to the bin because of this, eventually the referee awarded a penalty try to Auckland after continued infringements.

With a 19-13 lead, Auckland looked set to take over on the scoreboard. However they couldn't make the most of their possession and territory. Instead, it was Northland who took the lead back with an end-to-end attack.

Murray found some space in the Auckland line in broken play and Northland went on the front foot from there. With a scrambling Auckland line, reserve hooker Bruce Kauika-Petersen eventually went over.

The conversion gave Northland the lead, but Auckland again took it back less than five minutes later through a Harry Plummer penalty goal.
But there was one last twist left in the match, with Reihana slotting a penalty from 45 metres out with 90 seconds left on the clock to lead the Taniwha to a famous win.

Elsewhere, Waikato beat Taranaki 21-6 in rugby's return to Yarrow Stadium, while Hawke's Bay beat Northland 28-19 in the first of the Farah Palmer Cup championship semifinals.

Northland 23 (Matt Moulds, Heremaia Murray, Bruce Kauika-Petersen tries; Rivez Reihana con, 2 pens)
Auckland 22 (Penalty try, Tomas Aoake, Robbie Abel tries; Harry Plummer con, pen)
HT: 8-12

  • Like
Reactions: Cces


Warriors Orange Peeler

The exploits of Going brothers on display

Northern Advocate
14 Nov, 2011 12:00 PM
Sid Going 1400x800

The exploits of Northland rugby-playing brothers Ken, Sid and Brian Going are legend. Decades after the Goings retired from the game, the family has adorned the walls of the Percy Going Memorial Building in Maromaku with photos, newspaper cuttings and jerseys from their heroic days. Northern Advocate reporter Imran Ali talks to Brian about the collection

IT STARTED life as a church. At one time, it was a tool shed. Now, the non-descript building in rural Northland houses some of the region's - possibly the world's - most important rugby memorabilia belonging to three greats.

Until a few months ago, much of it had been gathering dust under the bed of one of the Going brothers' beds.

So far there have been no advertisements to declare it open, so news of the treasure trove is spreading via word-of-mouth.

The collection passed under the radar of a team of French journalists sent to cover the Rugby World Cup. The group included diehard fans of the Going brothers who made a special pilgrimage to visit the Jack Morgan museum in Hukerenui.

If they had continued a bit further up the road they would have found the shrine to three brothers who became Northland's favourite rugby-playing sons.

Brian Going smiles when told the collection escaped the attention of the tour group.

The "tool shed" that sits on a farm owned by a Going family member contains the sort of information the foreign scribes were after.

During the Rugby World Cup, Brian emptied a container from under his bed containing newspaper clippings, photos and rugby jerseys from his playing days and used them to adorn the walls of the tool shed - a few hundred metres away from where brother Ken - the elder statesman of that famous Northland rugby triumvirate of Ken, Sid and Brian - was laid to rest.

It's now known as the Percy Going Memorial Building and the French journalists (had they know of its existence) or anybody from around the world can visit free of charge.

The Going brothers are part of Northland sports mythology for their Ranfurly Shield-winning feats for the provincial rugby team in the 1970s. Their star power was evident in June 2008 when 250 tickets to the Ken Going Tribute Luncheon sold out, even though the event was not advertised.

The new memorial hall contains pictures and stories about the peerless 1970-71 North Auckland side that won the Ranfurly Shield in Whangarei, and the Goings' prowess. Also proudly displayed are NZ Maori, Northland and All Black jerseys.

"We decided to restore this for family purposes. There are a vast number of Going descendants and a lot of them are living overseas," Brian said.

"We want everyone to know it's a heritage, where a lot of family oriented events take place ... to preserve it for our children and grandchildren.

"It's important for them to know about uncle Sid or uncle Ken and how good they were and things like that."

The first reunion of old mates in the renovated building was organised at short notice last week and about 20 turned up.

Laly Haddon, Wayne Carey, Mel Hepple, Frank Colthurst, Terry Sullivan, Denis Panther, Rod Jones, Wayne Dunning, John Snelling, Des Chitty, and Cliff Poynter were among those that not only attended but also sang Pearly Shells and Ten Guitars.

Brian's grandfather, Percy, built a structure from kauri in 1939 - about 20 metres away from the memorial hall - to be used as a church, but it was outgrown years later.

Half of that building was moved to where the memorial hall now sits and in 2002, the late Ken and his wife Patricia formed a committee to restore the old building. After Ken's death, Brian took over restoration work.

Before the Goings' initiative, the closest exhibition about the Mid Northern/Northland All Black Going country was at Hukerenui's Jack Morgan Museum, where the French journos visited.

Brian says his family has a wonderful relationship with that museum and does not wish his exhibitions at Maromaku be seen as competing against with it.

"I think ours is a brilliant exhibition and the more people come and look, the happier we'll be.

"For a long time, I had a container full of stuff under my bed and I kept shifting it, thinking 'What am I going to do about it?'

"Now I can display them and share stories with sports-crazy people. A lot of our younger family members aren't too aware of what we achieved. My grandkids don't know that Jared (his nephew and Sid's son) was a New Zealand sevens player. Now that I've got pictures, I can show them how good he was.

"By bringing the Northland team to that reunion, we wanted to show to others that we are still united, we'll be good friends and our friendship will go on forever. There was another team that won the (Ranfurly) Shield after us but I don't know whether they had a reunion or where those players are now," Brian said.

He still enthuses about the famous triple-scissors the brothers pioneered, apparently perfecting it in the farm paddocks before pulling it off on the rugby field.

"Ken and I sort of messed around on the lawn and later Joe Morgan was involved at the end of the move and him and Northland coach Ted Griffin encouraged us to try. We had the guts to try it. With our kids, they'll only do it when there's no opposition,' he said and chuckled.

"It's a shame those sort of things are not done now because we used to score heaps of tries from those razzle-dazzle, pretty loose and unorthodox sort of stuff."

Only Todd Miller, Brian's nephew, has made it into the All Blacks since the brothers retired, while 12 others have played for Northland.

Their latest talent, Levi Clark, 15, who plays in Kerikeri, and Kalani Going, have made it into the Northland age groups.

What made the Goings excel?

"When we were young, we seldom got out of the valley. Rugby was a bit of an outlet, although we didn't know who the All Blacks were until much later.

"We were more physical in our approach than current players and because most of us were farmers, we were strong and we'd normally assemble on a Friday, had a run and play the next day.

"There were no gyms, we didn't know about diets, body fat and things like that ... even had no idea what a hammy (hamstring) was," Brian burst out laughing.

Anyone interested in visiting the Percy Going Memorial Building can make an appointment with Patricia Going on (09) 433 4973 or on 021 433 497.



I saw him play for the Raiders 20s in a win at Mt Smart. He was one of the best on the field and there was big wraps on him. I think he was either at 9 or 13 that day.

Similar threads

  • Showcase: Item
  • Showcase: Item
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Last Game

02 Apr

6.9 Total Avg Rating
5.3 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 4 ratings