Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
What exactly did he do that was cowardly?
I just said that to provoke people into responding by using colourful exaggerations of my point.

He did nothing cowardly if I am being honest.

But he did shy away from a few defensive collisions that TMM and CHT and even Metcalf would have weighed into full motor.
And he didn't at all to the best of my recollection take the ball deep into the line and contact before pivoting and passing to his other half or center. He seemed reluctant to get into much contact and played a bit of dinner suit rugby league.

So I just used the word cowardly to stir up conversation.

He is not a coward at all as he proved in the game he played with a busted finger. However in the Dolphins game he was shy about going into heavy traffic both defensively and offensively.

I just said that to provoke people into responding by using colourful exaggerations of my point.

But he did shy away from a few defensive collisions that TMM and CHT and even Metcalf would have weighed into full motor.
And he didn't at all to the best of my recollection take the ball deep into the line and contact before pivoting and passing to his other half or center. He seemed reluctant to get into much contact and played a bit of dinner suit rugby league.

He is not a coward at all as he proved in the game he played with a busted finger. However in the Dolphins game he was shy about going into heavy traffic both defensively and offensively.

Didn't we have a half on our books a few years ago that was often criticized for not taking the line on enough and keeping his jersey clean, despite his obvious talents?
That bloke did that for years too, before leaving to another club.

Pretty sure he ended up coming back at some point, going on to win the Daly M get shafted at the Daly M even though everyone knew he was the best player in 2023...

Anyways the point is, you can't judge a player for one performance when 90% of the team was shit house that game

Didn't we have a half on our books a few years ago that was often criticized for not taking the line on enough and keeping his jersey clean, despite his obvious talents?

Pretty sure he ended up coming back at some point, going on to win the Daly M get shafted at the Daly M even though everyone knew he was the best player in 2023...

Anyways the point is, you can't judge a player for one performance when 90% of the team was shit house that game
His nickname was Princess.
Nobody calls him Princess anymore

I watched him pretty closely in his big chance to lead the team around and yeah he didn't inject himself much, but our forwards got dominated a bit and he didn't have much space, team was just out-enthused by the Fins in a game with nothing on the line. Wish him best of luck at the Dragons, I never discount coach Flannagan to pùll something special out of his bag of dirty tricks.

I watched him pretty closely in his big chance to lead the team around and yeah he didn't inject himself much, but our forwards got dominated a bit and he didn't have much space, team was just out-enthused by the Fins in a game with nothing on the line. Wish him best of luck at the Dragons, I never discount coach Flannagan to pùll something special out of his bag of dirty tricks.
Volkman wouldn’t have been released if he was going to replace SJ in 2025. Clearly, he was not seen as being the heir apparent after a season under Webby’s watch with options like TMM and Metcalf alongside CHT. Defence was the issue. Simply put, that was his glaring weakness. Great general but without the flair of SJ or Stacey. Good kicking game and management but liability in defence. Dragons came along - he’s ambitious. Good luck to him! Hopefully he steers clear of Flanagan’s peptides. 🫣🤥🤔

I think we saw the future against Wests in pre season 2023.
Metcalf and TMM for a couple of years post SJ. Metcalf I bet will be upgraded with Volkman money. CHT utility covering hooker.

We have loads of options. I take it as read that Webby, Cappy and CG have a robust plan moving into 2025.

I’d wager that we have one more signing at some point…

Eminem in his famous song says
“Sometimes you only get one opportunity one shot “
That was Volkmans shot with the warriors and although he didn’t actually do much wrong he did not in anyway steer the team around the field. He needed to be amped for that game and I think if we interviews volkman he would admit he didn’t seize his chance.

Eminem in his famous song says
“Sometimes you only get one opportunity one shot “
That was Volkmans shot with the warriors and although he didn’t actually do much wrong he did not in anyway steer the team around the field. He needed to be amped for that game and I think if we interviews volkman he would admit he didn’t seize his chance.
I reckon Webster had made his mind up months before. Sure that game didn’t help however he probably already had no future at the Warriors. Metcalf has spoken previously about wanting to play 7, who knows if he has the game to be SJ’s successor, I haven’t seen it yet, however a halves combo of TMM & Metcalf seems somewhat likely beyond 2024 with CHT hopefully putting pressure on both.

Last edited:
I reckon Webster had made his mind up months before. Sure that game didn’t help however he probably already had no future at the Warriors. Metcalf has spoken previously about wanting to play 7, who knows if he has the game to be SJ’s successor, I haven’t seen it yet, however a halves combo or TMM & Metcalf seems somewhat likely beyond 2024 with CHT hopefully putting pressure on both.
I am skeptical about using the three words
Metcalf
And warriors
In the same sentence

In his public relations work it is apparent he misses Sydney. Pure conjecture but if he becomes an nrl standard half in 2024 he will play the compassionate release card to go back home

Still that is still a win for the warriors as he he would have put in a good stint with us by then and if Australians only see us as a good destination for 2 to 3 years that is ok as it is natural to miss their homeland .

I am skeptical about using the three words
Metcalf
And warriors
In the same sentence

In his public relations work it is apparent he misses Sydney. Pure conjecture but if he becomes an nrl standard half in 2024 he will play the compassionate release card to go back home

Still that is still a win for the warriors as he he would have put in a good stint with us by then and if Australians only see us as a good destination for 2 to 3 years that is ok as it is natural to miss their homeland .
Well worst case we will have plenty of salary cap to spend on a new half.

On Volkman, he’s performed well in NSW cup and given time I think he has a career in first grade.

More than any other position, a controlling half is all about combinations. A grubber kick through where your outsides are hitting the line as you kick makes you look lethal. The same kick where your outside don’t have a clue looks directionless. You have to put more weight on NSW cup rather than the limited opportunities in top grade to judge if his skill set is transferable.

Defence is another matter and he does struggle but playing on with the finger shows he has heart.

I see him having a 1st grade career somewhere down the track and wish the guy well. We’re fortunate to have lots of options and it’s best for both parties if he goes hunting for opportunities elsewhere.

All this talk about Volkman not being good enough is rubbish, the kids got lots of talent. It's said the step up to 1st grade playmakers have less time to make decisions, naturally because the defensive line is also a step up but, given time the talent does adjust..

Lots of people also bagged SJ's defence too when he started in 1st grade, he's been a terrific defender for many years now. Volkman just needs solid time in 1st grade and that's why he's been released..

All this talk about Volkman not being good enough is rubbish, the kids got lots of talent. It's said the step up to 1st grade playmakers have less time to make decisions, naturally because the defensive line is also a step up but, given time the talent does adjust..

Lots of people also bagged SJ's defence too when he started in 1st grade, he's been a terrific defender for many years now. Volkman just needs solid time in 1st grade and that's why he's been released..
It came down to CHT came back. As a business you weigh up options. Volkman is steady, but lacks pace. CHT has a bag of first grade games, good pace, repped Maori, was in wider Kiwi squad at once stage. It's an easy choice.

I reckon Webster had made his mind up months before. Sure that game didn’t help however he probably already had no future at the Warriors. Metcalf has spoken previously about wanting to play 7, who knows if he has the game to be SJ’s successor, I haven’t seen it yet, however a halves combo of TMM & Metcalf seems somewhat likely beyond 2024 with CHT hopefully putting pressure on both.
TMM/Metcalf was the trial combo which most people thought worked. So it's possible they could start with that again. I don't think he's a 7. 6 or 1 for me. Time will tell. I like CHT at 7. It's the more interesting question of 2024/2025.

TMM/Metcalf was the trial combo which most people thought worked. So it's possible they could start with that again. I don't think he's a 7. 6 or 1 for me. Time will tell. I like CHT at 7. It's the more interesting question of 2024/2025.
I reckon I’ve seen around half a dozen games from CHT where I thought the kid had huge potential - and they nearly all came at the back end of the 2020 season. Other than that he’s looked quite mediocre at times. 2020 was a fair while ago now, so I can’t say with any confidence that he’s the solution at 7. At this stage I’d have him as a handy 14, can cover every position but prop, however in my opinion he’s currently bottom of the halves rankings at the club.

Other than defense is CHTs upside greater than Volkmans?
I don't think so, so my conclusion would be that the club is targeting defence first halves.
But then there is Metcalfe- although he has some x-factor so maybe they are seeing if his defence improves in 2024?
How is Ben Farrs defence? Is he the smoky here?

It came down to CHT came back. As a business you weigh up options. Volkman is steady, but lacks pace. CHT has a bag of first grade games, good pace, repped Maori, was in wider Kiwi squad at once stage. It's an easy choice.
It's absolutely the right business decision, the point I was making was solely regarding the players ability not the clubs direction..

Other than defense is CHTs upside greater than Volkmans?
I don't think so, so my conclusion would be that the club is targeting defence first halves.
But then there is Metcalfe- although he has some x-factor so maybe they are seeing if his defence improves in 2024?
How is Ben Farrs defence? Is he the smoky here?
There’s also Tuaupiki that’s shown himself to be an option at five eighth down the track? Think Metcalf has ambitions to be a halfback but I personally don’t see much in the form of a game manager in his game. Interesting they’ve got Farr listed as a fullback, which they do for Tuaupiki also at this stage. CHT is looking like the obvious option at halfback I reckon, depth at the moment but I think they’ve heir marked him as SJ’s replacement when he hangs up his boots.

Back