General John Key Quits.

bruce

Contributor
I am actually very close to this and Auckland is fast approaching the point of shitting itself. However, it can be prevented but its going to take a major shift in policy from whoever is in government.
If there are no global shocks, dairy price crashes, or earthquakes and the government whoever it is really gets its act together of course it is possible.

However we have had a "rock star" economy under a "star" prime minister for some years now and apart from the Waterview Tunnel nothing has happened.

I agree with you Gnome, Auckland is in danger of shitting itself, and I cannot see anything to prevent it.

Its got quite a strong manufacturing and industrial heartland around Penrose too.
If one were to assume that what they can see in Penrose and Wiri represent Auckland they would be very wrong. They should take a drive through the "industrial heartland" of Albany and see all the "for lease" signs there. Penrose and Wiri have rail systems and are close to the motorway. Albany has nothing to compare, yet in theory it should be the fastest growing area in Auckland and will have to provide much of the land for any new housing.

Doesnt matter what you do to her, Auckland will always be fucked. Its geography will always be its downfall...

It's downfall has been the fact that it has been treated like a larger version of Gisborne or Timaru for far too long.

The council mergers and the begrudging funding now coming through from central government are steps in the right direction but there is probably 20 years of under funding to make up for.

Reactions: bruce
Auckland: The City That's Fucked...*

There's yer new marketing line...And it's nice to know the real reason why the Warriors are so bad. It's not the players, training, racial makeup of the team etc. It's just because the city they're in is fucked. Which also explains the Blues, okay my theory falls down when it comes to the Breakers, but they might be the exception that proves the rule.

*And we'll start up a Sister City with the thriving metropolis of Fucking in Austria...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
It's downfall has been the fact that it has been treated like a larger version of Gisborne or Timaru for far too long.

The council mergers and the begrudging funding now coming through from central government are steps in the right direction but there is probably 20 years of under funding to make up for.
LOL mate it will take 20 years just for the consents to pass the first consultation...

Reactions: dean and Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
He writes like this is funny.
If you don't have a laugh you will cry.....

I think the point is that there is no easy, quick fix. And a number of solutions previously suggested (like capital gains tax) probably won't fix it and some of the reasons suggested for the problem aren't actually valid either.

Reactions: mt.wellington

bruce

Contributor
If you don't have a laugh you will cry.....

I think the point is that there is no easy, quick fix. And a number of solutions previously suggested (like capital gains tax) probably won't fix it and some of the reasons suggested for the problem aren't actually valid either.
One thing for sure is they should not be allowing so many immigrants if there is nowhere for them to live. Just saying like.

That is probably right, but so are most of the taxi drivers, parking wardens and Z forecourt attendants, and what are we going to do next year when the credit squeeze hits and nobody has any money to build a new home?

Only 1 in 3 Aucklanders were born here - are you suggesting the forced repatriation of people back to whichever shithole in NZ they are from?