General John Key Quits.

bruce

Contributor
you haven't answered the question. In fact you have just given me more.
Ok, not being a planner I will try again.

The government is offering $10 billion to Auckland to help build infrastructure to cope with the housing to cope with the population increase.

The wise ones have claimed at least $40 billion is required. The government does not seem to have it...so more delays while the crisis worsens.

Also, the transport experts recommend a commuter train between Hamilton and Whangarei. That would take a lot of pressure off the roads and housing prices because people could relocate as far as Wellsford and catch a train to work. Great idea except because the existing lines are narrow gauge so the speed limits will mean a slow trip.

They also need a rail link across the harbour and another harbour crossing.

Local and central government are spending millions on the roads in Auckland right now. With the building boom it is providing a lot of work, when there isn't a lot in the regions in comparison. If they somehow found the $40 billion it would create even more employment, population and demand for housing.

My question to anybody who might know is...What happens when all the infrastructure is complete, and the jobs disappear? We will have a lot of unemployed Aucklanders with mortgages to pay off...because let us be honest WTF does Auckland produce?

A finance insider told me last year the major industry in NZ is banking. Add to that taxi and bus driving, fast food shops, hotels, a bit of fishing, no dairy factory, no more meat works, railway yards, heavy industry.

Auckland is becoming a tourism hub that cannot handle the tourists.

I reckon John Key knows all of this too.

Inruin

Contributor
Ok, not being a planner I will try again.

The government is offering $10 billion to Auckland to help build infrastructure to cope with the housing to cope with the population increase.

The wise ones have claimed at least $40 billion is required. The government does not seem to have it...so more delays while the crisis worsens.

Also, the transport experts recommend a commuter train between Hamilton and Whangarei. That would take a lot of pressure off the roads and housing prices because people could relocate as far as Wellsford and catch a train to work. Great idea except because the existing lines are narrow gauge so the speed limits will mean a slow trip.

They also need a rail link across the harbour and another harbour crossing.

Local and central government are spending millions on the roads in Auckland right now. With the building boom it is providing a lot of work, when there isn't a lot in the regions in comparison. If they somehow found the $40 billion it would create even more employment, population and demand for housing.

My question to anybody who might know is...What happens when all the infrastructure is complete, and the jobs disappear? We will have a lot of unemployed Aucklanders with mortgages to pay off...because let us be honest WTF does Auckland produce?

A finance insider told me last year the major industry in NZ is banking. Add to that taxi and bus driving, fast food shops, hotels, a bit of fishing, no dairy factory, no more meat works, railway yards, heavy industry.

Auckland is becoming a tourism hub that cannot handle the tourists.

I reckon John Key knows all of this too.
Yeah Auckland produces absolutely nothing o_O

and the brief summary of that long winded answer is no, cheap housing in Auckland is unachievable

Reactions: bruce
Also, the transport experts recommend a commuter train between Hamilton and Whangarei.

This isn't true - all transport experts know that the populations of Hamilton and Whangarei would need to be significantly higher for such a venture to succeed. A half-arsed attempt with just a couple of trains in each direction a day might work - like they have down in Wellington for Palmy and the Wairarappa - but a fully electrified, even medium speed, train service would be largely empty (a Eurostar train has 902 seats vs a 747 which has 416 - if enough people travelled between Hamilton and Whangarei to work in Auckland to warrant a regular high(ish) speed service then Air New Zealand wouldn't be flying their little Spitfires to them!

because let us be honest WTF does Auckland produce?

Auckland's GDP/capita is the third highest in the country and is well above the NZ average.

bruce

Contributor
This isn't true - all transport experts know that the populations of Hamilton and Whangarei would need to be significantly higher for such a venture to succeed. A half-arsed attempt with just a couple of trains in each direction a day might work - like they have down in Wellington for Palmy and the Wairarappa - but a fully electrified, even medium speed, train service would be largely empty (a Eurostar train has 902 seats vs a 747 which has 416 - if enough people travelled between Hamilton and Whangarei to work in Auckland to warrant a regular high(ish) speed service then Air New Zealand wouldn't be flying their little Spitfires to them!
That comment came from the Chief Executive of Mainfreight earlier this year. I am not saying he is correct, but he is apparently an expert. So if you are correect Auckland is truly fecked.

Auckland's GDP/capita is the third highest in the country and is well above the NZ average.
No problem with that...but WTF does Auckland actually produce? It used to have farms, vineyards, orchards, freezing works, and heavy industry...what does it do now? Service industries and banking.
It probably means NZ is fecked as well as Auckland.
Dairying is a troubled industry, farmers and sharemilkers are so poor they have to import slave labour. The regional economies are not strong. The only reason people want to emigrate here is because they see it as underpopulated, beautiful and clean...and far away enough from any overseas wars to be safe.
This thread makes the Warriors look a very attractive proposition...please JD don''t follow John Key into the lifeboat.

Inruin

Contributor
No problem with that...but WTF does Auckland actually produce? It used to have farms, vineyards, orchards, freezing works, and heavy industry...what does it do now? Service industries and banking.
Auckland has a lot of FMCG manufacturers just as a starting point.........

That comment came from the Chief Executive of Mainfreight earlier this year. I am not saying he is correct, but he is apparently an expert. So if you are correect Auckland is truly fecked.

He is an expert in logistics, not transport. I am not saying that a limited service servicing towns en-route to Auckland from Hamilton or Whangarei wouldn't be desirable, but the building of a high or higher speed line simply wouldn't work (unless you wanted 90% of the seats empty - even in the rush hour.)

The bigger issue for Auckland is that the transport links from areas where the housing is cheaper are poor. What is interesting is that the road congestion is now starting to effect people in National voting areas like Howick, as well as those who have always suffered in the poorer areas, so the government is finally starting to wilt (CRL, light rail etc).

Inruin

Contributor
Its not unachievable, but it is under the current government's policies (for which they have a huge mandate from the voting public.)
Currently it is unachievable. The policies appear relatively similar under Labour and now National.

A lot would have to change in order for Auckland to be able to have the quantity of new homes built (either out or up) at a fast enough pace to enable supply to catch up with demand and reduce house pricing.

Currently it is unachievable. The policies appear relatively similar under Labour and now National.

A lot would have to change in order for Auckland to be able to have the quantity of new homes built (either out or up) at a fast enough pace to enable supply to catch up with demand and reduce house pricing.

I am actually very close to this and Auckland is fast approaching the point of shitting itself. However, it can be prevented but its going to take a major shift in policy from whoever is in government.