Jesbass_old

John Carlaw

John Carlaw 2002 5

I really do think John Carlaw was so underrated. He was such a solid player, and his wealth of experience taught him to know how to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dean

Iafeta_old

The only moment that rivalled that was JC Holy Jesus himself John Carlaw dotting down off a precocious piece of play by the great man himself Stacey Jones to put us into the Grand Final. That performance, and this performance, when the chips were down and everything was on the line rates massively for me.

Makasene

Makasene

Was walking up to my Seats in the Upper East on Saturday.

Top of the stairs was a guy with a bonafide 10 on his shoulder intently looking at the photo of the 2002 team.

None other than John Carlaw.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Was walking up to my Seats in the Upper East on Saturday.

Top of the stairs was a guy with a bonafide 10 on his shoulder intently looking at the photo of the 2002 team.

None other than John Carlaw.
Was a guest in the Mad Butchers Lounge and went on stage after the game. He would have been easy to spot because he has barely changed since he last played for us and is in fact looking a little trimmer. Gutted I didnt have my Heritage jersey on me for him to sign. Was a great blast from the past...

Makasene

Makasene

Was a guest in the Mad Butchers Lounge and went on stage after the game. He would have been easy to spot because he has barely changed since he last played for us and is in fact looking a little trimmer. Gutted I didnt have my Heritage jersey on me for him to sign. Was a great blast from the past...

Yea he hasn't changed much.

He holds a special place in our history, scoring the try to get us to our first grand final.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Play The Ball

John Carlaw was a superb defensive centre and they didn't pay a lot for him. I could certain handle an Ayshford style signing there so long as that player's strength was his defensive skills.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
John Carlaw was a superb defensive centre and they didn't pay a lot for him. I could certain handle an Ayshford style signing there so long as that player's strength was his defensive skills.
John Carlaw had Ivan Cleary on the other side. They orchestrated the backline really well. We are a long way from getting that combination for a while.

Reactions: Weno
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Yeah......Carlaw was very good. No argument there.

Reactions: Weno
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
On a positive note, there could be more money to spend elsewhere. Wouldn’t it be good if we had a John Carlaw type player at the moment ? Experienced, cheap, journeyman - never really let them club down.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Muscling into the backline

28 March 2002

The Warriors' versatile Australian import is adding a fresh element to the back play - aggression in defence and attack. PETER JESSUP reports.

The last time the Newcastle Knights came to Ericsson Stadium, they deliberately ran at the home team's right side, and Kangaroo wing Adam MacDougall had three tries by halftime.

He got four altogether in the 37-30 win.

This year the Warriors have a different right side, and hard-tackling Australian John Carlaw is a significant part of it.

This year, "Mad Dog MacDougall" - the only player legally allowed to be on steroids after taking the NRL to court to force it to accept that he had a legitimate medical condition that required such treatment - is not playing.

Carlaw will mark a 19-year-old newcomer with the movie-star moniker Anthony Quinn, but Carlaw is preparing as if the Mad Dog was there.

Carlaw has had only the one run with the Warriors, running in a touchdown after putting himself in the right place to pick up the offload against the Sydney City Roosters last weekend.

It is where he wants to be again on Easter Monday, and it is what coach Daniel Anderson has been drilling the team on all week - back up to take up the opportunities.

"There's a great skill level here, lots of off-loads. Normally you would expect a team that plays like that to make a few mistakes, and there were only a couple last week - I'm concentrating on being ready to go when the ball's there," Carlaw said.

Carlaw, 27, was a Knights junior, went to Super League's Hunter Mariners, got sent to the Melbourne Storm when the deal was done to fold Super League, had last season at Wests Tigers and left while they were looking to cut back over-inflated salaries.

He has scored more tries than most at every club he has been with. He has split his time 50-50 between wing and centre.

Named to start in midfield last weekend, he spent 75 minutes on the flank after Shontayne Hape was carried off after his first touch of the ball.

"It's no drama," he said of his being named to stay there against the Knights on Monday. He expects pressure.

"Their strength is in the backs. I just need to concentrate, be ready."

Carlaw was earmarked by Anderson for centre and has not trained or played any pre-season games at wing.

But he was to be, and remains, outside P. J. Marsh, who he said was the talker last Sunday in the win over the Roosters.

"Wai [Wairangi Koopu] and I are the quiet ones on the right, but P. J. talks it up."

Carlaw was fastest man in the club in the pre-season sprints, just ahead of Justin Murphy, Brent Webb and the injured Hape.

He is hoping a week watching what the other Warriors can do, and that speed, will put him through holes on Monday.

He was brought in to provide defensive stability out wide, with aggression in that and on attack, and because he is strong enough to run over opponents and up the middle of the field.

Carlaw is not taking Knights newcomer Quinn lightly, saying: "He'll have plenty to prove."

Newcastle, the defending premiers, sent a big signal of how seriously they are taking this game by booking to fly in a day earlier than usual, arriving today so they can train tomorrow.

The word was that they knew their forwards had had it relatively easy in big wins over the Northern Eagles and the North Queensland Cowboys, and were well aware they would get a bashing on Monday.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
95. JOHN CARLAW
Last update

Carlaw was account manager at Zodiac Group Australia. Zodiac supply swimming pool supplies including cleaners, filters, chemicals, etc...

His LinkedIn hasnt been updated in a while but in June 2019 he updated his status as working as the Business Support Manager at Hunter Douglas, Inc. They are mostly known for their window covers and were the inventors of aluminium blinds.

315660262 10230070045513799 4941915942626233407 n
315597882 10230070046033812 7104426047478814003 n

Screenshot 2022 11 15 20645 PM

The Hunter Douglas Group was established in 1919 by Henry Sonnenberg in Germany and is now a world market leader in window coverings and a major manufacturer of architectural products, achieving sales in excess of $US3.63 billion. Comprising more than 130 companies with in excess of 47 manufacturing and 86 assembly facilities, the group operates in over 100 countries and employs about 23,000 people.

Hunter Douglas Australia is the largest supplier of window coverings in Australia. As well as using our products within our own assembly division, we sell window covering components to independent fabricators who assemble the components into a finished product for sale to the consumer.

Hunter douglas zebra blind 500x500