Staff John Ackland

tajhay

🏉
https://www.radiosport.co.nz/news/spleg/1791159374-league--new-role-for-ackland-at-nzrl

The New Zealand Rugby League has managed to convince John Ackland to keep working on this side of the Tasman.

After the Warriors announced they were relieving Ackland of his duties as under-20s coach at the end of the season, he was linked to rival NRL and Super League clubs.

But Ackland's signed on as the NZRL's new national game development manager.

He'll start the role at the end of next month once he's completed his commitments with the Junior Warriors.

Reactions: 3 users

Im sure Ackland has plenty of knowledge to give.
Be interesting to see if he has actual skills to develop game - rather the actual pure game knowledge.

Like can he engage with the community etc - all things I have heard he is like the old wacky school teacher type.

However funny thing is ....they announce Ackland as NZRL...then a week or two later they announce the Junior Kiwis staff.
Led by two of Acklands Mt Albert friends lol.

Brent Gemmell & Kelvin Wright - Gemmell played with Ackland I believe & Wright is like his protege and played under Ackland.

https://www.nzrl.co.nz/news-archive/gemmell-to-coach-junior-kiwis.aspx

They obviously decent coaches but quite hardcase

Reactions: 1 user
Im sure Ackland has plenty of knowledge to give.
Be interesting to see if he has actual skills to develop game - rather the actual pure game knowledge.

Like can he engage with the community etc - all things I have heard he is like the old wacky school teacher type.

However funny thing is ....they announce Ackland as NZRL...then a week or two later they announce the Junior Kiwis staff.
Led by two of Acklands Mt Albert friends lol.

Brent Gemmell & Kelvin Wright - Gemmell played with Ackland I believe & Wright is like his protege and played under Ackland.

https://www.nzrl.co.nz/news-archive/gemmell-to-coach-junior-kiwis.aspx

They obviously decent coaches but quite hardcase
I'm happy Ackland has landed on his feet, wondering how long though will he stay in that position.

I was surprised at Wright's appointment considering how long he's been up in the 20's - have to agree with the lions connection lmao.

Buck777

Watchout for the Mt Albert Mafia lol....these same people are probably still angry about Bluey getting the boot.
At times they think they still own the game.

But you realise Stacey Jones is a RL die-hard..he is now getting an opportunity to work with the NYC and develop as a coach.
Mt Albert wont like that..not after Pt Chev just beat them in the Fox lol

Mt Albert do accept that Pt chev did win the fox. Doesn't change the fact he and and the pirates were kicked out last year for cheating. I don't give a stuff if you're a RL diehard. If you are a cheat you're a cheat. Same goes for Mcghan

I actually have a lot if respect for otahuhu....I played them enough lol. They always turned up to play, always. We usually beat them, but never an easy game from the boys!

Mcghagan? fraud.

https://news.theage.com.au/breaking...-sentenced-for-pokie-fraud-20090505-asys.html

View attachment 2758
If memory serves me right Brent Todd gave up mcghagan and co offenders to save his ass in a another ddgy pokie trust scheme; still a f%&$ken disgrace Auckland rugby league loan's Todd a $1,000,000 in an unsecured loan to help out his pubs that were struggling at the time, he went bust and never made any repayments - but they wouldn't help out struggling clubs at the time..

Reactions: 1 users

Buck777

If memory serves me right Brent Todd gave up mcghagan and co offenders to save his ass in a another ddgy pokie trust scheme; still a f%&$ken disgrace Auckland rugby league loan's Todd a $1,000,000 in an unsecured loan to help out his pubs that were struggling at the time, he went bust and never made any repayments - but they wouldn't help out struggling clubs at the time..
I think you're right. Brent Todd...what are lowlife. Suspected of organising arson of his own tavern ( three kings)....just a bad egg all round. He probably leads in the Hall of Shame.

Mt Albert do accept that Pt chev did win the fox. Doesn't change the fact he and and the pirates were kicked out last year for cheating. I don't give a stuff if you're a RL diehard. If you are a cheat you're a cheat. Same goes for Mcghan

Don't care if they are die-hards...well I was just referring to the Mt Albert fraternity saying we should support ackland as he is a die-hard.
As is Jones.

Please talking about cheats....might not be breaking the rules but just as dodgy as the pirates.
How long have the might lions..being buying premierships for? still manage to lose this year.

Every year Mt Albet go out and wait for the NZ Residents, Auckland Reps to play and then go along and sign them up.
To be honest is pretty sad - watch next year.

It wont be the fact they didnt turn on GF day - the solution will be sign two more top Vulcan players.

Lets think how much they buy every year and dont club have to pay a a few thousand for every rep player they sign.
So lets think - off the top of my head.

Ralp Ah Van
Leni Sulisi
Cody Walker
James Blackwell
Soape Kavaliku
Vaivai
George Taunga

Thats probably close to 20K in transfer fees.
Nevermind the match payments.

Buck777

Don't care if they are die-hards...well I was just referring to the Mt Albert fraternity saying we should support ackland as he is a die-hard.
As is Jones.

Please talking about cheats....might not be breaking the rules but just as dodgy as the pirates.
How long have the might lions..being buying premierships for? still manage to lose this year.

Every year Mt Albet go out and wait for the NZ Residents, Auckland Reps to play and then go along and sign them up.
To be honest is pretty sad .

Believe it or not I have had this exact heated discussion with someone who is diehard Pt Chev, defending jonesy and co to the hilt over last years cheating saga. The main defence is 'everyone else, especially the lions does it'. Maybe, maybe not. It's just that mr instant finance thinks he can walk on water. I had two mates in the room when Stacey walked in and said you you you and you won't be playing. We're throwing this one so you'll be watching. This was on the Friday night. Then he gets caught and throws a hissy fit- denying he had any involvement.
Don't get me wrong, I like the pirates. My old man played for the ions ago with jimmy varley ( father of Shane). Just gets me that a few think they're above the law. And I'm not in the Mt Albert crowd anymore- though I'm guessing I'd know a few. If they're rubbing it in a hit then they shouldn't be. End of the day though I lost some respect for the little general over this.

Believe it or not I have had this exact heated discussion with someone who is diehard Pt Chev, defending jonesy and co to the hilt over last years cheating saga. The main defence is 'everyone else, especially the lions does it'. Maybe, maybe not. It's just that mr instant finance thinks he can walk on water. I had two mates in the room when Stacey walked in and said you you you and you won't be playing. We're throwing this one so you'll be watching. This was on the Friday night. Then he gets caught and throws a hissy fit- denying he had any involvement.
Don't get me wrong, I like the pirates. My old man played for the ions ago with jimmy varley ( father of Shane). Just gets me that a few think they're above the law. And I'm not in the Mt Albert crowd anymore- though I'm guessing I'd know a few. If they're rubbing it in a hit then they shouldn't be. End of the day though I lost some respect for the little general over this.

Im not from Pt Chev or Mt Albert.
But everybody had a mate that was in the room.

Cheating saga ...is a bit of a stretch though.
It was one game they rested too many players.

However in saying that. . its ARL's fault for letting it happen.
Pt Chev submitted a team list online the day before and no qualms - despite most of the topside missing.
Had the opportunity to raise red flags....or query it.

As for thinking he can walk on water....most of the Pt Chev crew bar their chubby maori trainer/coach.
are fine.

It when you go to Mt Albert and a few at Otahuhu - who think they are all high and mighty and think they run the game.

U20's showed awesome line speed and tackled their guts out... Some nice kicks into the in goal and they got the win>>>>>>:cigar::cool::finger:

Loyalty means jack shit when it comes down to business. He receives a pay check so treat him as a business and if he wants to leave the business that gave him the opportunity then so be it. He's walking out on the Warriors so as a business you think well sweet as, good luck. Your leave and bonuses should be enough. No matter what Ackland has done its the Warriors that get the accolades because that's how it goes. Its sad but that's professional football. The culture, what f**king culture you say is non existent because that's the way management have made it.

I honestly believe the major problems the Warriors have on the field, and I stress that I said on the field is there content to give the game up because there's always next week. There's no mana in the game because my money goes in on a Thursday night no matter what. We are Kiwis, we are sweet as, relaxed, cher bro it's all good and that's the game. We don't have a problem with talent but why do we struggle so much? It's all in the mind and until that's sorted we will never get over it. If your man enough on the field then be man enough off the field and if fear is your problem then get the shit sorted.

Last but not least WTF is going on with the NYC? The Warriors had culture here, winning culture and it seems that this year that has changed in a major way. I believe in getting players exposure but at what cost? Tonight I saw Bhana, Faitala Mariner & Vete back in from the Vulcans. The NYC shouldn't be deprived success because we want the Vulcans to be successful. The boys are young and they will have there chance but let them play in the NYC. The NYC and the NSW Cup feed the NRL and it should stay that way. We are the ONLY club that has played in every finals series in the NYC since its inception, we are feared, talked about, the pinnacle team until 2013. Tonight's win was lucky, let's hope next week we are back to the NYC Warriors of old, hope so!!

While I don't like to see any of our teams playing badly and/or losing, I think we need to change things up in our feeder teams. Excepting the Kiwis, the Warriors 1st grade team is the flagship of NZ league and having winning Vulcans and 20s teams that aren't 100% beneficial to our senior team and structure needs to become a thing of the past. While the 20s and Vulcans players should of course be trying to win each game and their comps, the main overall focus needs to be on developing each player to their maximum potential. The goal of every Vulcans player should be to play so well (i.e. so professionally) that they're featuring in the 1st grade coaches mind, if not immediate plans. Ditto our 20s. No Vulcan's player should be content with a level of football ability that cuts it in NSW cup, but not 1st grade. No 20s player CAN stay in Toyota cup, so they need to be playing at, or aspiring to, a 1st grade level (not just a 1st grade salary or reputation). A 'well, as long as we're winning' attitude is not good enough, because (as has been shown in the 20s in years gone by) our big, powerful and naturally gifted junior Warriors can (or used to) be able to win without necessarily training professionally or giving 100% on the field. That might mean some changes to training, strategy and the coaching philosophy, and it might mean some teething problems in the short-term. So be it. I saw our 20s play ordinary for 40 minutes and then scrape by (mainly on the back of Lolohea and Taylor), and while I'm definitely happy we won and are still alive, I don't think the players or (next year's) coach should be happy with that kind of performance or attitude. I know they're only young (as all Toyota Cup players are), but they're paid and treated like professionals, and have to be taught that this comes with responsibilities and obligations.

Watching the U20s and The future of the warriors looks good. Ha Ha... :nailbiting:

Sarcasm.....??[DOUBLEPOST=1379073093][/DOUBLEPOST]
Loyalty means jack shit when it comes down to business. He receives a pay check so treat him as a business and if he wants to leave the business that gave him the opportunity then so be it. He's walking out on the Warriors so as a business you think well sweet as, good luck. Your leave and bonuses should be enough. No matter what Ackland has done its the Warriors that get the accolades because that's how it goes. Its sad but that's professional football. The culture, what f**king culture you say is non existent because that's the way management have made it.

I honestly believe the major problems the Warriors have on the field, and I stress that I said on the field is there content to give the game up because there's always next week. There's no mana in the game because my money goes in on a Thursday night no matter what. We are Kiwis, we are sweet as, relaxed, cher bro it's all good and that's the game. We don't have a problem with talent but why do we struggle so much? It's all in the mind and until that's sorted we will never get over it. If your man enough on the field then be man enough off the field and if fear is your problem then get the shit sorted.

Last but not least WTF is going on with the NYC? The Warriors had culture here, winning culture and it seems that this year that has changed in a major way. I believe in getting players exposure but at what cost? Tonight I saw Bhana, Faitala Mariner & Vete back in from the Vulcans. The NYC shouldn't be deprived success because we want the Vulcans to be successful. The boys are young and they will have there chance but let them play in the NYC. The NYC and the NSW Cup feed the NRL and it should stay that way. We are the ONLY club that has played in every finals series in the NYC since its inception, we are feared, talked about, the pinnacle team until 2013. Tonight's win was lucky, let's hope next week we are back to the NYC Warriors of old, hope so!!

Your just as much a dreamer as everybody else.
They dont Promote players to strengthen the Vulcans (at times it may even weaken vulcans) they promote players to get the likes of Vete, Bhana more NRL ready.
I suppose because the NRL team are out of the picture they dropped them down.

The NYC 20s never had a winning culture .....might seem dumb...but winning games is not winning at NYC. They have always play dumb football at NYC level.
Guys like Shaun Johnson, Hurrell etc all relied on freakish ability - which is why they are having so much issues translating.

NYC needs to be brutal and playing proper footy tactics.

Seriously some selection bother me .... The Hooker Sio...works really hard and goes all day.
But his passing his terrible...dont blame him he has never played hooker until this year.

Would of been perfect to play Lock...when bhana went up to Vulcans

Last edited:

Jordan G

Seriously some selection bother me .... The Hooker Sio...works really hard and goes all day.
But his passing his terrible...dont blame him he has never played hooker until this year.

Would of been perfect to play Lock...when bhana went up to Vulcans

This is why I'm not unhappy Ackland is leaving.

Can anyone tell me what position Lolohea, Fusitua, Hukatai etc are supposed to be developing for because the NYC team is like musical chairs with player positions. Ackland seems to think he can slot anyone in anywhere and still win (Likiliki anyone?). He may have won a couple of NYC titles on the back of some freakish players, but he has never done the first grade side any real favours.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
It when you go to Mt Albert and a few at Otahuhu - who think they are all high and mighty and think they run the game.
Think you'll find cocks like that, who have an overinflated opinion on the influence they or their club has on the Auckland comp, in every club. I know the ones from Oats. As for the Lions, lets be honest here for a minute, they pretty much do!!!