Staff John Ackland

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Disestablishing the role of a CEO? Who is going to run the show then?
Think he may have meant terminated.

Heard about this awhile ago. Acklands son told me he was hoping that Cappy would get fired and Cleary was coming back as it would mean his dad would get a job back with the club.

Theres a huge rift in the ARL at the moment with clubs cutting others heads off and kissing others asses. Had to laugh after Otahuhu rep Wally Dumper was kicked off the Board after being voted out by the other clubs. He had only been in the job for a few months. Funny hearing stories about reps kissing ass with other clubs they havent bothered to consult for years. Sometimes a decade plus...

Reactions: ramraider78

bruce

Contributor

Heard about this awhile ago. Acklands son told me he was hoping that Cappy would get fired and Cleary was coming back as it would mean his dad would get a job back with the club.

Theres a huge rift in the ARL at the moment with clubs cutting others heads off and kissing others asses. Had to laugh after Otahuhu rep Wally Dumper was kicked off the Board after being voted out by the other clubs. He had only been in the job for a few months. Funny hearing stories about reps kissing ass with other clubs they havent bothered to consult for years. Sometimes a decade plus...
That is really sad. The ARL used to be one of the best run organisations going.

Auckland Rugby League's version of the Game of Thrones Doxs lol :banghead::brb:

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington
Yep. Great news for the club. One year too late but we should see Oats back in the Fox. Sadly unless they keep paying Ackland and spend money on players they might not stay there long.

OTABLU...
Exactly bro hopefully the club sees that he has the ability to create programmes within the club to develop players and coaches and gets him to focus on that too.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Exactly bro hopefully the club sees that he has the ability to create programmes within the club to develop players and coaches and gets him to focus on that too.
Truth is Otahuhu already have a great junior program and if they dipped into it this year they wouldnt have been relegated. Instead the club bow downed to pressure from the junior coaches to keep their top talent instead of letting them play Fox. We win the junior title but lose the clubs historic Fox placing. Stupid idiots!!!

Reactions: ramraider78
Yeah I don't agree bro, we have got junior talent.

But nothing in place to condition them for fox and beyond. Nothing any different to what any other club is doing.

The coaches do a good job for their grade but there is nothing even in place to develop the coaches for fox or beyond.

Otahuhu has had the right idea about appointing coaches from within the club in the past, some who have done a bit of time ala Pete n Duncan but these coaches had not been groomed for the job. No one had put any time into them or anything, there were no criteria they had to meet.

John ackland would be amazing at developing other coaches.

With the junior talent base that we do have there should be club lead academies from u10 right through to u20 that include the different coaches. The club should then be preparing and encouraging players and coaches into representative positions and so on.

This is what I would be utilising ackland to do. Coaching coaches and potential stars on top of his premier commitments

Reactions: bruce

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Yeah I don't agree bro, we have got junior talent.

Yeah thats I said. We have great juniors. Just dumb coaches and even stupider administrators who let junior coaches tell the Prem coach who he can and cant select.

Both Pete and Duncs were utter shit. Duncs should never have been given the reigns and definitely shouldnt have started the season. By the time he got the chop it was way too late. No wonder Oats are playing Sharman...

Reactions: DANZ
Is/was Ackland the supercoach some people make him out to be? I read a bold statement this morning stating he was the Warriors greatest ever loss!
His 2010 NYC Grand Final winning side had 9 returnees from the 2009 side which also made the playoffs. Was there a bit of right place, right time with regards to his success with the 20's?

Last edited:
Reactions: Naumaifooty
Is/was Ackland the supercoach some people make him out to be? I read a bold statement this morning stating he was the Warriors greatest ever loss!
His 2010 NYC Grand Final winning side had 9 returnees from the 2009 side which also made the playoffs. Was there a bit of right place, right time with regards to his success in the 20's?

I think he did a good job of scouting and finding players. Our development programs certainly hasn’t been as good since he left. Whether that’s due to him or other factors is hard to say.

As a coach of the under 20’s he employed a pretty one dimensional gameplan based on our power advantage which in fairness seemed to work pretty well. The argument was at the time whether it was suitable to producing NRL players.