Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I think it’s unlikely we’re going to be able to replace afb with one player- we’re probably gonna need to recruit 2 props to strengthen the position (Even with afb we really need another one).
I’m thinking bhu could be one of them.
Looking strictly at the off contract guys I’d be pretty happy with any combination of bhu/ Tyrell may/ max king for example.

What say ye?

Quite honestly I Smh at all the dissing of NRL potential signings by Warriors fans, are they history blind or something? do they not realise we are lucky to sign anyone halfway decent?

Go back through twenty seven years of signings. On the one hand a longitudinal look at the Warriors signings should tell anyone with two memory cells to rub together that we have bloody struggled more than any other franchise to sign players from Aus.

BHU might be from an imperfect pack that we smashed up last year, but hey, if you are losing AFB then why would we magically sign someone of a similar ilk?

Can anyone remember when we lost one of our best ever imports and immediately found like for like?

No?

Happy to eat humble pie when we sign JFH....like fuck that is gonna happen LOL

Last edited:
Still find the Volkman one weird, Flanagan said in a statement today around it that it’s a depth signing for them so Volkman in no better position with them than us unless Hunt moves on, and 1 year when he had 2 left with us. It only makes sense if we’re opening up a spot I reckon?

Sounds to me he was looking for any way out.

Not maliciously, but more so that a huge strength of Webby is communication.

Ahead of a full pre-season you would think Volkman had been told the pecking order and nothing you can do in pre-season could change that (except injury).

I was critical of David Llong at the time but he happens to be bang on most of the time.

We’re not going to be able to replace a like for like with AFB. It’ll be a mid ranger, and hoping we can have a prop come through in our systems. The young guys will get a crack this year, in prep for 2025 permanent bench roles.

The money spent on AFB (1mill), could be used on BHU as an example (500k), with the remaining 500k set aside. We may need a #7, so with Shaun’s 500k and remaining 500k that’s a million to deploy. It seems like 1 mill is the bare minimum for a half these days anyway. I doubt jazz will be re-signed, or if he is it’ll be a reduced salary. This money again could be used to prop up a youngster that performs, or bring another junior on min contract & use the $ for a half.

Off contract 2024 is Jazz, SJ, lussick Metcalf. as stated, I’d assume jazz is released. Metcalf & lussick are resigned (if possible), however both could easily leave. The obvious issue is SJ. Therefore we may need to allocate a portion of AFBs salary to a half, as SJs 500k will get us no one.

Just some thoughts around expectations of who will replace AFB, and we might be disappointed but there’s a lot of planning and balancing required after 2024.

Even though it’s a year away, this is what we’re looking at for 2025 off contract:

Bunty Afoa, Tom Ale, Mitch Barnett, Wayde Egan, Jackson Ford, Tohu Harris, Edward Kosi, Ali Leiataua, Te Maire Martin, Marcelo Montoya, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Adam Pompey, Taine Tuaupiki, Dylan Walker, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

That’s a lot of quality that at this stage, I’d want to retain, with Harris leaving a large hole (retirement likely).

It’s a bloody puzzle but I trust the powers that be.

Quite honestly I Smh at all the dissing of NRL potential signings by Warriors fans, are they history blind or something? do they not realise we are lucky to sign anyone halfway decent?

Go back through twenty seven years of signings and fan gripes and you will see a culture of slow learners. On the one hand a longitudinal look at the Warriors signings should tell anyone with two memory cells to rub together that we have bloody struggled more than any other franchise to sign players from Aus.

BHU might be from an imperfect pack that we smashed up last year, but hey, if you are losing AFB then why would we magically sign someone of a similar ilk?

Can anyone remember when we lost one of our best ever imports and immediately found like for like?

No?

Why do you recon that is then? because bloody signing an AFB only happens a couple of times a decade at best so moaning about trying BHU and another prop till we get our young bloods online is just retarded.

Hell I could be a lazy poster and grumble about a lesser signing while saying we should sign Nathan Cleary....anyone can post that kinda never never land bullshit.

Ain't gonna happen, wake up twits, it has been almost thirty years and when an AFB leaves a hole, how about being constructive and realistic about what we can plug the gap with for a change?

This thread does my head in sometimes.

Happy to eat humble pie when we sign JFH....like fuck that is gonna happen LOL
This is a forum, reality has no place here. Just like we are all choosing to ignore the gap SJ will create when he leaves. Even with $1m a year burning a hole in our pocket a suitable replacement is unlikely. We do get luckily occasionally though. We have produced two great halves in the last three decades and had a few great forwards be forced onto us through their own misdeeds.

Just some thoughts around expectations of who will replace AFB, and we might be disappointed but there’s a lot of planning and balancing required after 2024.
The one standing out to me is Utoikamanu’s option for 2025. Tigers have some good props coming up and Luai on $1.2 million from 2025 must put their cap under some pressure? They actually haven’t been very smart to leave him unsigned beyond then with Klemmer on big money for the next couple of seasons with an option for 2025 and they recently re signed Twal after it looked they were letting him go. One of the articles around AFB mentioned our interest in him if AFB negotiated with tigers. I’d throw an offer they can’t compete with. I like Fonua Pole but he’s signed for 2025, tigers also have a big 18 year old unit that comes into their top 30 next year in Jordan Miller. 6 foot 4 and 131kg at 18.

This is a forum, reality has no place here. Just like we are all choosing to ignore the gap SJ will create when he leaves. Even with $1m a year burning a hole in our pocket a suitable replacement is unlikely. We do get luckily occasionally though. We have produced two great halves in the last three decades and had a few great forwards be forced onto us through their own misdeeds.
Preach!

Are you feeling positive about the Juniors that will come online this year bro?

Still find the Volkman one weird, Flanagan said in a statement today around it that it’s a depth signing for them so Volkman in no better position with them than us unless Hunt moves on, and 1 year when he had 2 left with us. It only makes sense if we’re opening up a spot I reckon?
Volkman is likely to battle Kyle Flanagan over the remainder of the pre-season for the first chance in the number 6

Preach!

Are you feeling positive about the Juniors that will come online this year bro?
I feel really positive about the club as a whole. I’ve been around too long to get overly excited about the next crop of juniors till they have proven themselves on the field. We fans tend to overhype them then cut them down when they aren’t the next Thurston or Haas that we had told ourselves they would be. Although I must admit, another season like the last one and I will more than likely go back to the overly obsessive and optimistic fan I’ve been in the past haha.

But what is reality? My reality of BHU is that he is not mid-tier and is not worth $500k. He’s a below average NRL prop and part of a middle rotation that has failed. Why as Warriors fans should we show any enthusiasm to signing him?

Volkman is likely to battle Kyle Flanagan over the remainder of the pre-season for the first chance in the number 6

Volkman is no five eighth and unless Hunt gets shifted to hooker, I don’t see much chance for Volkman in that scenario. Flanagan has played a bit of hooker too in recent times but even still that doesn’t change that he’d need to play five eighth with Hunt halfback. Then there’s the nepotism too that can happen, just my view and hope he does get what he needs to grow his game.

But what is reality? My reality of BHU is that he is not mid-tier and is not worth $500k. He’s a below average NRL prop and part of a middle rotation that has failed. Why as Warriors fans should we show any enthusiasm to signing him?
Reality is we are losing the best prop in the comp and scratching to make the best of a bad situation. Is BHU the answer? Almost certainly not. Is he unfortunately the best the team may be able to do? It’s possible sadly.

Volkman is no five eighth and unless Hunt gets shifted to hooker, I don’t see much chance for Volkman in that scenario. Flanagan has played a bit of hooker too in recent times but even still that doesn’t change that he’d need to play five eighth with Hunt halfback. Then there’s the nepotism too that can happen, just my view and hope he does get what he needs to grow his game.
Even if they were to just consider him Hunt's first-drop backup in case of injury or Origin duty I can see how that would seem like a better opportunity for him compared to where Webby seemed to have him in the pecking order based on last season (with added competition from CHT this year). If he wants more first grade time sooner his chances may be better at the Dragons.

Reality is we are losing the best prop in the comp and scratching to make the best of a bad situation. Is BHU the answer? Almost certainly not. Is he unfortunately the best the team may be able to do? It’s possible sadly.
And he’s just watched another prop put his career best numbers, if he wants to challenge himself to hit those heights also, I think that’s a win. Really injury is my main concern with him but in AFB’s first season with us he only managed 15 games, he also only managed that the year before too in his last year at manly.

True however I still think I could name at least 35 better props than BHU.

Yeah mate it's easy to say that and then not offer any other alternatives...more than happy to hear your thoughts on who we should get, or are you one of those ones that just pokes holes in everyone else's thoughts and not offer any up on your own 😜

I've got heaps of answers for your last question! Why should we be enthused?
  1. Bigger body prop - something we don't have
  2. Experienced prop with over 100 games - something we need
  3. Across his career when playing over 40 minutes he averages over 100m
  4. I think like 15 players had career years under Webby last year, there's a good chance that he'll improve on what he's delivered thus far.
I think we're all in agreement that we can stop going on about 'not getting a like for like replacement' for AFB. We all know this now, and if you don't, you're an idiot lol