Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I think it’s unlikely we’re going to be able to replace afb with one player- we’re probably gonna need to recruit 2 props to strengthen the position (Even with afb we really need another one).
I’m thinking bhu could be one of them.
Looking strictly at the off contract guys I’d be pretty happy with any combination of bhu/ Tyrell may/ max king for example.

What say ye?
If we can't snag a big minutes JFH type goat we'll have to buy a couple of big impact units I suppose until the likes of young Ale, Sifakula and Zyon Maiu’u are ready to dominate. Dunno if BHU is the answer but who else is there who'll come to NZ.

I think it’s unlikely we’re going to be able to replace afb with one player- we’re probably gonna need to recruit 2 props to strengthen the position (Even with afb we really need another one).
Looking strictly at the off contract guys I’d be pretty happy with any combination of bhu/ Tyrell may/ max king for example.

What say ye?
Really like Max King, recently married and a newborn could see him want to head over for an adventure?

Was it BHU or Royce Hunt that sat AFB on his arse in our first game vs the Sharks in 2023?
Think it was Hunt? Thought he had a decent season in patches too for impact, that really is what they’re too heavy on is impact props at the sharks. Don’t mind Jack Williams in the middle too, good utility factor for edge or middle. Still feel like they’ve got a plan with the speed they were happy for AFB to go to sharks.

Thought it was interesting the latest post on BHU instagram page from a day ago. Flown around Auckland in a small plane. Gave me the impression of an excursion set up by a club rather than someone doing it of their own accord? Perhaps grasping at straws but who knows.
I recently watched an interview with Feleti Mateo (think it was posted on here?) where the club did just that, and hired a helicopter to show him and his partner around the city. BHU could quite conceivably know someone in Auckland with connections and be doing a tour while back home.

What say ye?
I’d be happy with Max King or Tyrell May.

I’m tired of these players not wanting to get out of their comfort zone and play here or if they do they want out, I don’t hear many Kiwi players complain about heading to Oz to play and leaving here and family and familiarity, it’s no worse here than Oz, it’s only a short plane trip “back home” I understand the homesickness but other professional leagues in different codes all around the world have players more than happy to move hours away if not a different country/state and play for another team (ok most of the codes I’m referring to pay 10x what an NRL player makes) but they’re meant to be professionals and with that comes a lot of time away from home regardless. Too soft, too pampered and too entitled in my opinion…..most RL players are lucky to get a 10-12 year career and can set themselves up for life but they want to have their brownie and eat it too. How about the ones that end up in dreary Super League…..let’s face it, they do it for the money and still young enough to play at a professional level and it’s the end of the road for them for various reasons but over looked playing here because they didn’t want to leave their bros behind in Mt Druitt. I’d imagine if the NRL was a massive corporation with truly wealthy owners and a salary cap of even $50+M would change their minds.

Shit, I think I just answered my own question after reading my own post. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

If we continue to win then Auckland will become more appealable.

If we keep filling out Mt Smart like this year creating a big event every week it would also help in a small way as well.

A new stadium would also help as well. New facilities centred in the middle of the city would be appealing to potential recruits.

The main thing is winning a premiership or premierships will mean players will come here not talking about potential but know they are a chance of winning a premiership.

The weather we can't control. Some years will be better than others. We had a lot of success in 2023 a year where the weather was terrible. In the past the club has done things to sell Auckland. That should continue. Win and Australian players will likely talk more highly of their time here.

If we continue to win then Auckland will become more appealable.

If we keep filling out Mt Smart like this year creating a big event every week it would also help in a small way as well.

A new stadium would also help as well. New facilities centred in the middle of the city would be appealing to potential recruits.

The main thing is winning a premiership or premierships will mean players will come here not talking about potential but know they are a chance of winning a premiership.

The weather we can't control. Some years will be better than others. We had a lot of success in 2023 a year where the weather was terrible. In the past the club has done things to sell Auckland. That should continue. Win and Australian players will likely talk more highly of their time here.
Should fly potential recruits over to AKL in that two week period round xmas new year.
No traffic. No congestion. Possibility of fine weather increased (marginally).

Love auto correct.
Haha changes everything.
Just done a quick google search and maybe mr autocorrect had checked out her instagram and decided he would rather obtain....couldnt blame him.
btw they are married now and they haven't had a child but she is pregnant- think we can cross him off the list tbh...