Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
If we are to sign a prop to 'replace' AFB, then it needs to be a prop who averages well over 100m per game. Unfortunately not many of those around these days. David Klemmer is the closest I can think of. His form has dropped the last few years but still can pump out over 100m.
For me it's the quality of the runs that matters which is a combination of where you run, late footwork at the line, engagement of defenders , post contact metres, maintaining your feet or falling forward for a quicker play the ball.

Regarding possible realistic prop signings that have been mentioned on here.
There have been very few.
The thread should be called 2023/2024 "if we could sign whoever we wanted" Recruitment and Retention.
You'd be just as well to upgrade James Gavet or Patrick Sipley or Paterika Vaivai on the cheap if we need a bit of size and experience to tie us over.
Any of them could bang out a decent couple of 10 minute stints per game.
They all boss NSW Cup in the cameos they made.

We don’t need to replace AFB with a like for like (none around anyway)
He will be replaced and we will adapt accordingly.

We replaced Walsh with CNK who was playing cup and he turned out great. We will be fine.
I’d suggest a few of us need to change our mindset.
There is a bit of a narrative of over reliability on one (very good) player.
We can’t replace AFB but as many have correctly suggested, sign a good player, with a great mentality and a will to win and watch the magic happen … as a team.

This is pretty much best case scenario for us and we'd be lucky if it happened. Don't think anyone will flame you. Would cost us more than AFB though
Webster overseeing everything would have a good indication, but it’s hard for us fans to know exactly what we’re needing. From a standpoint it looks as though we would need to recruit 2 front rowers, but then there’s question marks too. Can Jazz earn another contract as a bench prop/lock, is he even a smokey for starting prop? Does Ale make a step up or Bunty finds something extra? Does Zyon Maiu’u or Sifakula kill it right from the get go? I think we definitely need an experienced prop at the least for AFB, most likely that and another but apart from the odd hint they could be looking at BHU, it’s hard to know what the club feels they need?

How many openly public ‘homesick’ signings have we had?
Generally NZ’ers adapt well to life in Aussie , unlike many Aussies coming here.
I can’t think of anyone breaking a contract to come home due to sick family members etc - can you?
It got me wondering what the salary tipping point might be for getting over homesickness. It'd be different for every player, but top pro footballers spend most of their lives living away from their 'home' countries and rarely cite homesickness or family commitments as a reason to leave a club. Virgil van Dijk hasn't lived in the Netherlands since 2013 but 11 million quid a year seems to keep him happy. I guess on that money you can go 'home' for the occasional weeknight stay to visit the parents.

It got me wondering what the salary tipping point might be for getting over homesickness. It'd be different for every player, but top pro footballers spend most of their lives living away from their 'home' countries and rarely cite homesickness or family commitments as a reason to leave a club. Virgil van Dijk hasn't lived in the Netherlands since 2013 but 11 million quid a year seems to keep him happy. I guess on that money you can go 'home' for the occasional weeknight stay to visit the parents.
Most of the bigger sports where the clubs almost seem to own the players pay way more. I reckon the tipping point would be about $1m a year. If rookie players were starting on that much a season then the idea of being shipped around the world on short notice isn’t that bad. But for a young guy on a minimum wage NRL contract who’s earning less than his mates in the mines it wouldnt be worth it for many people.

How many openly public ‘homesick’ signings have we had?
Sione Faumuina was homesick I believe & left Canberra as a result.
Anthony Gelling got out of his Wigan contract to join us on the back of his girlfriend having a car accident.
Paul Roache is back in Auckland as a result of "compassionate grounds".

Very few in the greater scheme of things all the same.

*Also, Agnatius Paasi & Peta Hiku
Screenshot_20240106-115109_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240106-115649_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Sione Faumuina was homesick I believe & left Canberra as a result.
Anthony Gelling got out of his Wigan contract to join us on the back of his girlfriend having a car accident.
Paul Roache is back in Auckland as a result of "compassionate grounds".

Very few in the greater scheme of things all the same.

*Also, Agnatius Paasi & Peta HikuView attachment 4835View attachment 4836
You could debatably add Campion to the list. He wasn’t home sick for NZ but wanted out of the UK bad enough to make NZ seem like a decent option.

Did u just discredit your own rumor? :ROFLMAO:
What if the deal was- we’ll release afb to u for 2025 if u release bhu to us for 2024…
Wouldn’t that be dandy.
Most of my murmurings come from trying to join dots that I see around, usually unsuccessfully. I had initial thoughts of why would why do a swap for BHU when we can get him for 2025 when he’s off contract? The Rudolf rumour is where I reckon there’s potential of a swap if he goes somewhere and it frees up a player? Doesn’t make sense that he’d be interested in coming over after his lengths to get out of his contract with us before.

Most of my murmurings come from trying to join dots that I see around, usually unsuccessfully. I had initial thoughts of why would why do a swap for BHU when we can get him for 2025 when he’s off contract? The Rudolf rumour is where I reckon there’s potential of a swap if he goes somewhere and it frees up a player? Doesn’t make sense that he’d be interested in coming over after his lengths to get out of his contract with us before.
If all these rumours come true we'll end up with the Sharks pack the year SJ left us. Pretty sure we beat them, so dunno if we're any further ahead.

He got out of that because everyone around him told him it would be a career mistake to come here, which at the time was a fair call.

Webster overseeing everything would have a good indication, but it’s hard for us fans to know exactly what we’re needing. From a standpoint it looks as though we would need to recruit 2 front rowers, but then there’s question marks too. Can Jazz earn another contract as a bench prop/lock, is he even a smokey for starting prop? Does Ale make a step up or Bunty finds something extra? Does Zyon Maiu’u or Sifakula kill it right from the get go? I think we definitely need an experienced prop at the least for AFB, most likely that and another but apart from the odd hint they could be looking at BHU, it’s hard to know what the club feels they need?
Jazz started as prop in 2 games last season?
Against the cowboys once definately.
Was pretty good complementing Tohu and AFB , very mobile. Good line speed.

18 minutes ago

That Rumour is Bullshit as Hamlin-Uele is Off Contract at the end of 2024.
He may well go to the Warriors, but as a free agent & not as a part of any swap deal.
In a world like ours where things are grey and often ambiguous then it could be like a swap where the Sharks forgo any attempt to re-sign BHU and actively encourage him to join the warriors with their non pursuit of a new signature being the compensation they offer the warriors.

Back