General Jesse Royal

Jesbass_old

Royal lost the fans a long time ago.

It'd take quite a lot to get them back.

Ropati has been trying to get NU back since 2007! (He's a hopeless fullback, apparently...or that's what they were saying back then, anyway!) :D

Seriously, though, reputation opinions really irritate me. It's so often a perception placed on the player that may or may not be true, but don't ever let the facts get in the way of our preconceived ideas! :laser:

DanKokoro_old

Ropati has been trying to get NU back since 2007! (He's a hopeless fullback, apparently...or that's what they were saying back then, anyway!) :D

Seriously, though, reputation opinions really irritate me. It's so often a perception placed on the player that may or may not be true, but don't ever let the facts get in the way of our preconceived ideas! :laser:

haha i didn't even write that.. that was the nzwarriors equivelant of the "[insert name] likes little boys" status update on facebook. Now i have to go through every other thread and see what sort of damage has been done

DanKokoro_old

By "used to" do you mean Round 4? And he's only conceded 3 penalties all year.

Or are people still judging him on 2009?

"used to" does tend to denote the past JB.. Just because he's been playing well this year doesn't mean all his previous seasons performances are null and void. Yes he had a reputation of dropping the ball and giving away stupid penalties, all the while not providing much in the way of go forward. My impression of him last year was that he was pretty much a liability and an almost guaranteed error and penalty per game (and he's only on the field for 30 minutes).

It was going to take consistent good performances from him this year to change my opinion of him. This year has been a big improvement which is why my opinion has gone from "he's a liability" to "he's been good"

DanKokoro_old

I reckon on form if we end up having to choose out of heremaia and Hendo, It'd be hendo keeping his spot on the bench. His defense particularly has been outstanding lately, plays with a lot of passion too.

Yeah that's what does it for me too. I mean i'm sure even NU will agree he's not the most dynamic hooker in the comp, by any means. What he lacks in that he part makes up for in sheer determination and spirit. He's the kinda guy you want on the field in games like the Panthers game. He just never gives up.

In conclusion, i think his beard magically imbues him with some sort of iron will. He shouldn't shave.

Fazz_old

This is true. History tells us the might of the Warrior beard. I reckon tell them all not to shave over the offseason, should be some lumber jack-esque beards throughout the team and minor and major premierships in 2011.

That's true, it's the little things, I don't think hendo could single handedly win us a game, but he's never going to lose you a tight one by missing an easy tackle or through lack of effort. The decision to sign him is looking a lot smarter now then it was 3 months ago imo.

Northern_Union

Hey!! I thought we'd left the forum untill after the play offs?

And anyway it's that Ropo was a hopeless fullback back in 07, it was that he was hopeless back in 07.

Spence_old

I think Royal has done a solid job in Price and Rapira's absence. No one said he will be a superstar 100m+ every match prop. But he has great defense and has definitely improved since last year. That said, I'd still like to see Upu/Gavet get some game time, but I don't think we should mess with a winning team.

romel_old

Can you expand a bit on that? What are your reasons for sacking/dropping Royal? What are your reasons for sacking/dropping Heremaia?

i just want the best for our club, i think theres better players out there that can do a better job then what they do. as in royal hit ups are pretty weak and no offload skills, heremaia's options are poor from dummy half,he doesnt mix up his plays to confuse the defense to help his forwards get past the advantage line.

romel_old

what really annoys me is royal gets too much credit for mutalinos work, because the stupid commentators get them muddled up. its really ben thats carving up not royal.

Jesbass_old

i just want the best for our club, i think theres better players out there that can do a better job then what they do. as in royal hit ups are pretty weak and no offload skills, heremaia's options are poor from dummy half,he doesnt mix up his plays to confuse the defense to help his forwards get past the advantage line.

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing. I was worried it might be a "Royal drops the ball way too much" view, so you've put my mind at ease, haha!

Is there anyone in our extended squad or in the U20s that you think would do a better job than Royal/Heremaia if they were selected this coming week? (Just wondering if you have anyone in mind in particular.)

romel_old

Fair enough. Thanks for sharing. I was worried it might be a "Royal drops the ball way too much" view, so you've put my mind at ease, haha!

Is there anyone in our extended squad or in the U20s that you think would do a better job than Royal/Heremaia if they were selected this coming week? (Just wondering if you have anyone in mind in particular.)

royal does drop the ball alot though sorry :p

just what ive been crying for since last year, bleed mara into 1st grade for heremai, wouldnt mind trying out Nafe Seluini,hes been showing some great form this year for the 20s.

Mataupu Poching for royal would make me happy or Sione Lousi would be better than royal.

other than that im happy with our team, ive learned to live with luck in our team.

Jesbass_old

royal does drop the ball alot though sorry :p

just what ive been crying for since last year, bleed mara into 1st grade for heremai, wouldnt mind trying out Nafe Seluini,hes been showing some great form this year for the 20s.

Mataupu Poching for royal would make me happy or Sione Lousi would be better than royal.

other than that im happy with our team, ive learned to live with luck in our team.

Well apparently he did yesterday - he made 3 errors. But he still has made fewer errors than other players, even while playing more games.

I can't comment on the Rabbitohs match, because I was mercifully spared from watching it, but a recent discussion raised the point that while Royal doesn't drop the ball often, he tends to do so at crucial moments, thus giving people the perception that he makes plenty of errors.

Incidentally, for the sake of clarification, Royal has dropped the ball 12 times in 18 matches. In comparison, the other players who have dropped it at a worse ratio are Lance Hohaia (12 times in 16 matches), Brent Tate (14 in 14), Jerome Ropati (18 in 17), James Maloney (19 in 17), Kevin Locke (19 in 14) and Manu Vatuvei (19 in 12).

I didn't check players who'd made less than 12 errors because I'm supposed to be job searching and can't spare that much time, haha!

Tyrael_old

I think you have to compare apples with apples. You have to compare Royal with the other forwards. The reason being is that backs receive the ball in different situations than forwards do. Forwards get it one off, or two off the dummy half, and usually run straight and hard. Backs get long balls, are often running at pace and sometimes are in complex plays.

Warrioraholic_old

haha what he said ^^^^ (didnt read it till now)

Statistics dont really tell you crap. Royal normally gets the ball at walking pace, he doesnt drop the ball, he carries it really poorly, like a dirty nappy and it pops out.
The others that have dropped balls are probably hitting it at a sprint or a very fast cut out pass or a quick play of the ball.

When I think of Price, Packer, Wiki, Rapira etc I think ball tucked up under the arm safe as houses and go forward, when I think of Royal I think of Logan Swann lol

Logan was a solid player, and mostly mistake free, but I cringed every touch he had. A stigma I guess

Jesbass_old

haha what he said ^^^^ (didnt read it till now)

Statistics dont really tell you crap. Royal normally gets the ball at walking pace, he doesnt drop the ball, he carries it really poorly, like a dirty nappy and it pops out.
The others that have dropped balls are probably hitting it at a sprint or a very fast cut out pass or a quick play of the ball.

When I think of Price, Packer, Wiki, Rapira etc I think ball tucked up under the arm safe as houses and go forward, when I think of Royal I think of Logan Swann lol

Logan was a solid player, and mostly mistake free, but I cringed every touch he had. A stigma I guess

That obviously isn't true. The tell the what of a measurable situation, but not the why. They state that Royal makes fewer errors per match than some players, but they don't state why.

Warrioraholic_old

Yeah your right my statement doesnt hold true, but I think im trying to get at, everything is relative and allthough stats can tell you alot, they dont paint the whole picture.