Player Jeff Robson

Just read Robbo given an early release
Robson granted release to return to Sydney
Richard Becht

Tue 28th June, 03:15PM

Vodafone Warriors utility Jeff Robson has been granted an early release from his contract on compassionate grounds.

The 33-year-old joined the club on a one-year contract while his wife Gabi and the couple’s special needs daughter Charlotte remained in Sydney.

He appeared in the Vodafone Warriors’ first six matches of the season and had a seventh outing against St George Illawarra on May 1.

Vodafone Warriors recruitment and development manager Tony Iro said Robson, who has been playing for the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side, was keen to see out his contract but his family situation had been challenging.

“With Shaun (Johnson) and Tommy (Leuluai) coming back from surgery, we signed Jeff to give us experienced cover in the halves,” said Iro.

“While Shaun started the season Tommy didn’t so, having Jeff in the squad was a major benefit given his vast experience and the professional attitude he brought to the club.

“More recently Tommy has been back in the side and we also have Tui (Lolohea), Ata (Hingano) and Mason (Lino) as options in the halves.

“However, it has been difficult for Jeff on a personal level being separated from his family and we certainly support him in his desire to be back with them.”

Robson was grateful for the opportunity he had to play NRL football for the Vodafone Warriors after previous experience with Manly, Parramatta and Cronulla.

“I’ve really enjoyed coming over to New Zealand to be a part of this club. It’s a great set-up and I’ve appreciated the opportunities I’ve had,” he said.

“I would have liked to see my contract through but in the end my family is far more important. I haven’t seen a lot of them and I’m extremely grateful (coach) Cappy (McFadden), Tony, Jim (Doyle) and everyone else has been so understanding.

“I wish the boys and the coaching staff all the best for the rest of the season. I’ll be taking a special interest in their progress.”

Robson has played 166 NRL games since his debut in 2004.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/06/28/robson_granted_relea.html

tajhay

🏉
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/06/28/robson_granted_relea.html

Vodafone Warriors utility Jeff Robson has been granted an early release from his contract on compassionate grounds.

The 33-year-old joined the club on a one-year contract while his wife Gabi and the couple’s special needs daughter Charlotte remained in Sydney.

He appeared in the Vodafone Warriors’ first six matches of the season and had a seventh outing against St George Illawarra on May 1.

Vodafone Warriors recruitment and development manager Tony Iro said Robson, who has been playing for the club’s Intrust Super Premiership side, was keen to see out his contract but his family situation had been challenging.

“With Shaun (Johnson) and Tommy (Leuluai) coming back from surgery, we signed Jeff to give us experienced cover in the halves,” said Iro.

“While Shaun started the season Tommy didn’t so, having Jeff in the squad was a major benefit given his vast experience and the professional attitude he brought to the club.

“More recently Tommy has been back in the side and we also have Tui (Lolohea), Ata (Hingano) and Mason (Lino) as options in the halves.

“However, it has been difficult for Jeff on a personal level being separated from his family and we certainly support him in his desire to be back with them.”

Robson was grateful for the opportunity he had to play NRL football for the Vodafone Warriors after previous experience with Manly, Parramatta and Cronulla.

“I’ve really enjoyed coming over to New Zealand to be a part of this club. It’s a great set-up and I’ve appreciated the opportunities I’ve had,” he said.

“I would have liked to see my contract through but in the end my family is far more important. I haven’t seen a lot of them and I’m extremely grateful (coach) Cappy (McFadden), Tony, Jim (Doyle) and everyone else has been so understanding.

“I wish the boys and the coaching staff all the best for the rest of the season. I’ll be taking a special interest in their progress.”

Robson has played 166 NRL games since his debut in 2004.

Reactions: Freddie Futler
Compassionate grounds?

"I'm really sad that I got overtaken by a 19 year old, I wanna go home! "
Robbo was never going to be a top line player here but, given his daughter's needs, I fully admire him for coming over here and being absolutely professional in his training and approach to the game. I'd rather a team with his character (obviously with a better skill level) than a team of Klowns.

No way he'd be separated from his family and be on the B team. Wonder if we pay his whole year salary? If not, we've got hundred thousand extra to spend...

bruce

Contributor
No way he'd be separated from his family and be on the B team. Wonder if we pay his whole year salary? If not, we've got hundred thousand extra to spend...
That is for this year, he was only signed for one season. Now all we don't need is for Shaun Johnson and TL to break down at the same time, or maybe they have written the season off already.

Reactions: Sup42

Ever Hopeful

Contributor

June 30 you reckon :wideyed:

...it is interesting timing. Perhaps he is looking to sign somewhere before June 30? That would explain the lack of a retirement announcement.

That is for this year, he was only signed for one season. Now all we don't need is for Shaun Johnson and TL to break down at the same time, or maybe they have written the season off already.
So what I'm saying is that he signed a contract for a year, and played half a year. If he was on salary for $200,000, that would leave $100,000 for the rest of the year. True? Surely he doesn't leave halfway into the season and command a year's salary.

So what I'm saying is that he signed a contract for a year, and played half a year. If he was on salary for $200,000, that would leave $100,000 for the rest of the year. True? Surely he doesn't leave halfway into the season and command a year's salary.

Pretty sure players contracts start from 1st November, so theoretically we would be talking about 4 months left on his contract (1/3 of the contract left) . Say he's on 200k as you have used (although I suspect it's not even that high) then we would get roughly 70k back for this year only...

So unless we still have a decent amount of cap space left for this year (which I highly doubt) then that 70k we would possibly be entitled to from Robbo's contract isn't going to get anyone here who would make the starting FG team.

Reactions: tajhay
Pretty sure players contracts start from 1st November, so theoretically we would be talking about 4 months left on his contract (1/3 of the contract left) . Say he's on 200k as you have used (although I suspect it's not even that high) then we would get roughly 70k back for this year only...

So unless we still have a decent amount of cap space left for this year (which I highly doubt) then that 70k we would possibly be entitled to from Robbo's contract isn't going to get anyone here who would make the starting FG team.
Yeah, I was putting together what we haven't spent from the salary cap this year, an add on to other monies, or maybe a second tier player who couldn't come into FG because we had used up our salary cap. I know $70,000 isn't much, except to you or me, but it could come in handy. Or perhaps give him his whole salary and help his daughter. That would be a nice thing to do, and the PR could maybe buy another Shark next year who wants to come here 'cause we are so nice.

It would of been tough being over here with his family back in Australia. Most players their situation is a lot easier and their family follows them over. He would have covered a lot of miles the last 6 months.

He was mainly signed to cover TL's injury from last year in case his recovery took longer than expected. Having his experience in the squad would have been useful not only to cover the early part of the season but also to help with the younger halves.

Reactions: Defence and Miket12